close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are flush fitting GLOCK 36 mags possible?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by saspic, Apr 21, 2006.

1. saspic

saspic Howdy Y'all! CLM

I couldn't find this with a search...
    ...is it possible to make a flush fitting G36 magazine? I know GLOCK doesn't sell one, but could you stick a different base on there and have a flush fitting (probably five round) mag?

Since they don't make 10mm pocket guns, I'd really like a .45 caliber gun for my pocket. I love GLOCKs, and the G39 would fit perfectly, but I don't feel entirely comfortable with being an early adopter of the .45 GAP.

The Kahr P45 is too tall for my pocket.

So is the G36, but if you could shrink the mag base, the way they do with those 9 rounders for the G30, it would be perfect for me. I'm guessing those 9 round G30 mags just have a G21 base stuck on there, but the G36 being skinnier, that obviously wouldn't work. I don't think Pearce or Scherer make such bases, either.

How do the small frame GLOCK magazine bases, like the G26 compare with the G36's? Are they too wide as well?

Maybe I could grind something down to size, but I doubt it would be reliable.

2. OldLawman

OldLawman

I had the same question, posted on another section, with the answer that, No, no one makes it.
    I wish they did, also.

3. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

If you are already willing enough to be a 10mm fan, you have no reason to be afraid of the GAP. The 39 would fit the bill perfectly and if you get some ammo online, you don't have anything to worry about. To be honest with you, the self defense ammo I have seen at the gun shops in 45GAP cost the same as the other calibers.

But to answer your question. I think by eliminating the base, you are actually reducing capacity to four rounds. That is why no one is willing to market what you are asking for.

4. saspic

saspic Howdy Y'all! CLM

Wow, four rounds in the mag? Why didn't they just make the durn grip bigger then? I actually wouldn't mind that, the classic J-frame snubbie holds five rounds, but I guess the .45 ACP isn't really a good pocket pistol round.
    After reading the Glock Annual article on the .45 GAP, I'm thinking it won't be such a risk after all. I want to do a little more research on marginal guns like Para Orndance's Nitehawg, but the G39 has vaulted to the top of my list.

5. Grandfather Glock

Grandfather Glock Member Emeritus

Glock obviously did not plan to have such a tall mag floorplate.

Take a look at how the backstrap curves in at the bottom. I believe they increased the mag length in the prototype stage (still 6 rounds) to insure feed reliability. I'm sure even the 1st prototype mag was extended, but no where near as long.