GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at getting a Holosun or similar red dot sight, but getting a cut slide, etc seemed a bit excessive. Also getting MOS Glocks here in Commifornia is pretty difficult/expensive. Then I saw mounting plates that uses the Glock rear sight dovetail. Obviously you loose the cowitness, but are these mounts any good for a red dot?
Anybody use them with success?

Here is an example
https://velocitytriggers.com/product/glock-red-dot-mount/

·
Registered
782 Posts
They work fine, your dot will sit about a 1/4” (or more) higher than a milled slide.

I run both on various pistols and while I prefer the lowest mount possible, they all work.

I just had a G48 slide milled by Battlewerx for $85. I paint the cuts myself. Hard to beat that deal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have a Ruger MKII that I put a dovetail mount on for a Bushnell TRS 25 and it works fine. I bought a Swenson slide for my G19 from Midwayusa a couple months ago for $139. Decent price for a slide already cut for a MOS sight. I put a Vortex Venom sight on it and it works fine.
G19.JPG MK II A.JPG

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I used one (Outer Impact) for three years on my Unlimited gun and never a problem. I would never consider having the slide milled if I could get a mount.

·
MacGyver
6,996 Posts
You don't have machine shops or machinists in CA?
UPS or USPS doesn't ship in or out out of state?
Your Google fu is weak!

Get it machined. Forget MOS (1/2 assed) or the mount (1/4 assed).

When you screw up your dovetail cut on your slide from the adapter mount not fitting right, or a mess up, you will look back and think...WTF did I do that?

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I wouldn’t call them ideal as you lise BUIS. Not a fan of not having BUIS capability for a carry gun. I initially thought about getting a Duek RBU, but those were more than having a slide milled.

If the MOS is unobtanium in Cali, have your slide milled or buy a slide from a reputable maker. I’ve got a Brownells gen 4 slide that has run anything abd everything I’ve fed it. Sample of 1 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Machined. Our chief made us use dovetail mounts (using the Trijicon RM44 mount). It's pretty durable but luckily I already sent my slide out to get milled before he banned milling.

·
19,611 Posts
I'm running two different Glocks with the Trijicon dovetail mount right now, no problems with either. Sits a bit higher than a milled mount, but if you can learn to use one, you can learn to use the other.

I personally wouldn't buy the cheaper dovetail mounts to hold a relatively expensive optical sight on a slide; if you're going to get one, get a GOOD one.

GlocksWithRMRs.jpg

·
Registered
292 Posts
My opinion is that it sits too high, especially for CCW. I agree with those who recommend getting the slide milled for the RDS.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Get it milled. I also hate my mos slide. I should have gotten a non mos g19 and sent it to agency for the aos cut which they say is as deep as a milled slide.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Milled is the only thing I’d consider.
I just had my G19 done by Battlewerx. It is beautiful. Stronger and lower than MOS or any dovetail mount. It is professionally done.
I also got to see the shop and these guys are squared away. Very neat and organized. Massive CNC machines

·
Registered
580 Posts
Get it milled. I also hate my mos slide. I should have gotten a non mos g19 and sent it to agency for the aos cut which they say is as deep as a milled slide.
Why don't you send your MOS slide to Agency Arms for an AOS cut?

The AOS cut is actually deeper than an RMR cut. The AOS cut with the adapter plate is as deep as an RMR cut. And you can position the rear iron sight in front of or behind the RMR. Almost half of all Glock slides milled to accept an RMR are cut rear iron sight forward. You can't get this with MOS.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After all these posts it seems that I may just get an extra slide with RMR cut already and build a complete slide with barrel. Can then swap slides as needed. Gets pricey though.

·
Registered
660 Posts
i used one on a G19 w/ Vortex vemom to see if I liked it. Just worked fine and just used for the range. Now have a G19.5 MOS and a G34 MOS with C&H Precision Weapons adapter plates.
Tijicon RMR on 19 and Leupold Delta point pro on 34. No problem with either.
I only use for range.

·
Registered
38 Posts
After all these posts it seems that I may just get an extra slide with RMR cut already and build a complete slide with barrel. Can then swap slides as needed. Gets pricey though.
Don't know what it costs at the online shops to get a slide milled but around here it costs at least $100 so when Midway had slides for sale for $139 I decided to get another slide. You could take the parts off of the old slide and put them into the new one until you wanted to spend money to equip both slides

1 - 20 of 25 Posts