close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are deer colorblind?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by ClydeG19, Sep 13, 2004.

1. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

All of the stuff I've read seems to indicate that deer don't see color. They see movement. So why do you see a lot of hunters with camos on? What do you guys tend to wear?

2. noway

noway

good question, I think they are color blind on some colors. If they where 100% color seeing thru all light waves, then they would easily spot that full clad hunter in his bright hunters orange. Their eyes are more geared for low lights due to the photorecepters vrs color recepters. But your correct, in that movement is the #1 tip off to deer spotting you vrs camo.

Turkeys and most birds see colors just fine. General rule from I was told, " if they use colors to destinguish between males & females and change colors to attract each other for mating and breeding , then that animal is not color blind". Deer don't do none of the above. The coats only change coloring due to tempurature and seasonal changes to blend into the terrain. They use other things for the attraction and detsinguishing between the sex ( , nose,urine, tarasal glands,etc.......)

IMHO, Camo is over-rated and nothing but a marketing and money making for thoose that make it. Do you really think you need to have camo on to kill a deer?

One thing I remember a old uncle told me, "if you needed camo to kill a deer , then the indians would have surely starved to death". I guess they didn't have mossy-oak bucksin clothes back then. ;f

Now to answer your question, I wear camo bug suits, just bcause that's the only way they make them, but I have had deers and hogs walk within 10yrds of me and all I was wear was tan color jeans and plaid colored shirt.

3. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

Yes, they are pretty much colorblind.

I wear hunter orange so the idiot hunters don't shoot me.

4. lomfs24

lomfs24

I think noway, for the most part, is right. I also believe that deer see movement and shapes more than the do color. I still think deer see color on some level.

With that being said I still wear cammo. I don't go out and buy the latest and greatest every year but I do where it. Why, wih the pattern of cammo and deer seeing shapes and movement I believe you can get away with a lot more movement with cammo on than you can with solid colors.

Another reason I wear cammo is not so the deer can't see me so much as so other hunters can't see me. It may be an off day in one of my best hunting spots and another hunter wanders through. He may never come back if he doesn't see me and my blind set up near a great trail. He may think that there are never deer and elk in there.

I have had guys tell me that there are no deer and elk in some of my favorite hunting spots and all I say is "Yeah, that's what I have heard." Same concept with camo and encountering another hunter.

5. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

I have had walk up to me.

I was sitting on the ground leaning against a tree.

I was wearing blaze orange vest and hat.

As long as I did not move I was not seen.

When the deer got close enough to touch with the barrel of the gun

I blinked and it jumped up and came down about 10 feet away.

It hid behind a 2inch tree and looked to see what moved.

Eight minutes later by my watch it gave up and started feeding again.

Camo will make your outline harder to see (if it goes with the background.)

I think that moving your feet scare off a lot of deer.

6. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

You can "think" all you want, but it's a scientific fact that deer don't see colors...any colors.

7. noway

noway

{You can "think" all you want, but it's a scientific fact that deer don't see colors...any colors.]

Before I would make a bold state of don't see colors and any colors, you might want to provide your scientific fact, since everything else out their says they do see some colors but not as much as what we ( humans ) do. Or maybe we all should nod our heads and agree to you statement since it was posted by WalterGA ;g

http://www.qdma.com/articles/details.asp?id=48

They see little in the UV which is in the faster wavelength of the color spectrum and not as much in the red, which is in the slower wavelength.

8. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

Alright, it seems I'll be fine with a orange coat and an old pair of jeans as an outer layer then. Thanks.

9. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

10. lomfs24

lomfs24

Were you not seen, or did the deer not feel a threat since you were absolutely still.

11. muddydog

muddydog

deer have the reverse ratio of rods and cones in their eyes than we do.

they have a greater ability to see nocturnally than we do, but we have the ability to see a greater variances in color schemes.

deer can see various colors, i might be wrong but i think the MSU did the stufy on that one. they can see orange shades. for them its hard to decipher sun glares in natural settings to that of the orange blob.

that being said, deer have the amazing ability to see any movement- especially quick movements.

i've played around with various shades of orange and i have 1 vest that is different than the rest in its color shade, and i will have a deer bingo in on me the 2nd it comes into view. for some reason that shade of orange gets their attention.

the orange camoflauge is much greater at blending depth to the "blob".

its wierd, i've had deer within grabbing distance on numerous occassions, wearing all types of orange and camo, down to flannel shirts and jeans.

12. vafish

vafish

I don't know about deer being color blind,

But I am. Those Blaze Orange vests and hats still stand out in the woods. Just an unatural and bright blob out there.

I'm guessing that standing still is more important.

13. Roger C

Roger C

That's correct - lots of studies have shown what various things look like through a "deer's eyes", and UV-bright clothes really stand out. A good idea is to wash your hunting clothes with a detergent made for the purpose, which doesn't have the UV-brighteners used in most commercial soap to make colors look bright.

Good camo will break up your outline, even more important is to cover your scent. More deer are spooked by what they smell and hear than what they see.

14. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

Some types of hunting "require" that you camoflauge yourself, some don't. Many hunters use the same outfit on all their hunting trips. Why not?

You don't need camo for deer, but you do need it for turkey. You may be out deer hunting but switch over and try for coyote or turkey, etc.

I supposed most of the reason we wear camo is because it makes us feel stealthy and we look cool. :cool: It's all about the mindset.

15. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I have never yet, (that i know of at least), had a problem with deer being spooked by orange hunting clothes, i have had them extremely close and no problems, (that i am aware of).

Noway, and WalterGa, both have pretty much summed it up i think.

Movement is "kEY," as some have already said. I have hunted deer with wranglers and a plaid shirt, or other 'non solid' top, and not had a problem...and that, even bow hunting at close range.

there is an old saying, that seems to be very true to me.

To a deer, evey man is a stump.
    To a turkey, every stump is a man.

How very true this seems to me, in the years i have hunted and guided hunts. Wether they could see color or not... "Pretend they can!"
    Sit still, and or keep movement to a 'absolute minimum', try and stay down wind, and be quite. Simple... But effective.

CanyonMan

16. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

According to articles published in "Deer & Deer Hunting" magazine, authored by some famous researchers who specialize in the whitetail deer, deer DO see some colors, mostly in the blue end of the color spectrum.

But as a deer hunter with 40 years experience, I totally agree with the majority here, that movement is the key. The advantage that camo has is that it will break up your profile so you can get away with more movement than if you were wearing solid colored clothing. While wearing camo, I've been able to get away with much more movement than when wearing blaze. The slower the movement, the better. Blending in with your background allows slow movements to go undetected... unless the deer is staring directly at you.

I've had deer at some very close range while both bow hunting in camo, and gun hunting in blaze.... a few years ago, I shot a deer (with a handgun) that was 10' away, while wearing a blaze jacket & cap and blue jeans, and sitting on a 5 gallon bucket under a pine tree. I just waited until he looked the other way, then raised my Ruger Blackhawk and fired, in one slow and continuous motion. He never knew what hit him. ;)

If you are absolutely still, the deer cannot detect you by eyesight alone, no matter what color you wear.

17. muddydog

muddydog

i've done some reading since then...

most of the 2 datas i found..concentrated on the yellow and orange spectrum

one article in D&DH states one of the papers pretty well.

reds faired the worst..blues, greys and greens...looked like they shaded.

18. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

I think that until I blinked I "was part of the tree".

The funny thing was I was not using cover scent or sent blockers, and the deer(2of them) would take 2 or 3 steps lift their heads and sniff a lot then go back to feeding.

19. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

They smelled something "wasn't quite right" but you blended in.

20. AAshooter

AAshooter

It is also worth mentioning that deer have a tremendous range of vision. Consequently, it is tough to sneek up on them. The downside is that they are not always viewing thing with two eyes. As such, their depth perception is not all that great . . . a clear advantage to hunters.

Of course, their hearing is very good and their ears provide good directionality. Some say they are excellant at judging distance both direction and distance using hearing (like radar).

They have exceptional smelling capabilities.