close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are all Toyota Owners Stupid?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JuneyBooney, Mar 9, 2010.

1. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

2. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

I understand you, and mostly agree.

But.................the thing is, some have reported that they tried to do exactly those things, and the auto would not respond. Still a lot to be known about this problem.

3. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

That guy in California never thought about shutting it off until the CHP told him. Geeeeeez.

4. jpa

jpa CLM

I think we should all stop our cars that way. Find the nearest police car and just crash into the back of it. Combine the accelerator problems with the exploding gas tank problems and you've got a winner!

The problem with the prius is that it's a "push button" start and the trans is electronically controlled, not mechanical. You would think there would be some kind of "emergency shutoff" but I have no idea where to find it.

5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

How do you get to "all"? Are the incidents happening with only a "few"?

And with those few, is it just a gas pedal getting stuck on a floor mat, or is it the electronics messing up?

And if it is the electronics messing up, does that also affect

6. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

I think that they are just supporting Obama by trying to kill themselves in all those Toyotas and Lexuses.
    I do also think it's simply impossible that any human may experience any problem with shifting into neutral and all of those drivers were just plain idiots.
    Especially the dead ones.
    I'm sure that Toyota will never produce any faulty cars and I salute to the country of the rising sun as their products are the best proof of human genius.

7. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I have some old hot rods that had mechanical linkages. They sometimes would get stuck and take off like bandits....then I calmly shut the darn car off. I am really concerned about American society and how the total lack of common sense seems pervasive.. Wow, we all need to call the news and go on tv and tell the people how to stop the cars. Just incredible to me.

8. theanimal

theanimal

TransmissionElectronically controlled continuously variable transmission (ECVT)

I can see how this could screw up to the point that it will not shift.

Also If im not mistaken you can start those cars without the key as long as its in your pocket.

I can also see how this could screw up and not let you turn the car off.

Maybe people arent as stupid as you think but instead your common sense approach will not work on an electronically controlled car.

9. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

They reported wrong.

It's the electronics, but the brakes aren't electronically controlled, and the brakes will stop the car. Seriously, I drive one of these funky Toyotas in Iraq. The clutch and brakes work without electronic controls. And the kill switch also works.

If automatic transmission, I don't know, but I bet an investigation will show that the shifter directly affects hydraulic valves without electronic intervention.

And the key switch is the master kill switch, aka "ESD". It works just fine.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  10. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

:rofl:Now you are right on the money.

11. Seayall

Seayall

I agree 100%. Hello folks, put the car into neutral and turn it off. You will still have brakes and steering, only lose the power side of those two. Pull off the side of the road and call your dealership.
    :whistling:

12. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

The really funny thing, here, is that this little Toyota pickup was doing this long before I read about the recall.

I actually get a kick out of the "automatic cruise control", and just keep continuing to upshift until I'm running about 50 KPH with my foot off the throttle.

I find it amusing, but I know a little something about how to operate a motor vehicle.

13. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

That is what I thought. I didn't think they were like movie death cars where they just went crazy and you could not intervene.

14. theanimal

theanimal

Unless I am grossly mistaken, any car that is equipped with antilock brakes has an electronic override to keep the brakes from locking up. So in a sense yes they are electronically controlled.

15. Glock-1982

Glock-1982

It's too easy to get a driver's license. You see on TV shows where idiots drive into store fronts because they thought they were hitting the brakes. Same as the idiots that don't know to throw the car into neutral.

Darwinism?

16. Glenn129

Glenn129

:agree:

17. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

They can all be shut off and stopped through common sense methods. I am really thinking about sending out a press release asking the above question. :wow: I watched that guy that the CHP stopped. These people just can't be that......" :stooges: "

18. OfficerChris

OfficerChris L.A. fanboy

on the hip

.45 to the computer :supergrin:

19. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Considering some of your other posts, you claiming to know what happened in such a situation is.................confussing at the least.

Not real sure I'd want to kill all the power if the car was doing 90 - 100 mph anyway. But hey, that's just my crazy take.

But never mind that, think I'll run out and get my whole family a Toyota now that I have your...................ah, assurance.

And yes, the key switch is the "master kill switch", if it's working properly.

Properly being the operative word there.

20. got_metal

got_metal

Actually if you turn the engine off but leave the key in the "on" position, you still have both power brakes and steering, at least my truck does.