close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are 3rd party ink jet cartridges OK for photos?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by NRA_guy, Sep 30, 2004.

1. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Are 3rd party ink jet cartridges OK to use for photos?

I have read everything I can about OEM vs aftermarket cartridges for ink jet printers.

Yes. Every computer magazine evaluation test hedges on giving any definitive information. Maybe because the big guys have big ads in their magazines.

They all say that you can save a bundle . . . but at the risk of having your cherished photos fade into oblivion before your kids are grown.

Is that just manufacturer hype?

I currently use an Epson Photo 820 for most stuff. Much of what I print is junk, but I print some digital photos.

So far I have only used Epson cartridges, but the family is getting tired of eating bologna sandwiches so I can buy Epson ink.

I refuse to swap the cartridges from 3rd party to OEM and back again every time I print a photo. Way too much trouble.

Thanks.

NRA_guy

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

If you want to just print out a few downloaded pics to show to your friends, then LaserMonks or any other 3rd party ink, on regular printer paper, is okey-dokey.

But if you would like to print out a picture you would like to see looking as perfect as new in two years, then you owe it to yourself to grab some Archival Ink and actual Inkjet Photo paper. These products cost more for a reason.

The image quality is initially much higher, but better yet, the IQ stays good for decades.

Best regards,

FastVFR

3. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess Got hairspray?

Burn your pictures to CD, print them using cheap ink every few years...

My printer works great, but my scanner's only so-so. Haven't had any photos long enough to know how long they'll last, though. I can't imagine that my printing needs would justify using OEM cartridges for everything, especially when I can get 3rd party for like $2.

Laura

4. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Thanks for the feedback. I have edited some photos at home and saved them to a CD and printed them at one of those kiosks at Wal-Mart. Walgreens and lots of other stores have them too.

As long as I only want 8X10 or 4X6 prints they seem to be a pretty good solution (except standing in line.) The quality is pretty good. But again, I wonder if such places use high quality (permanent) ink and paper. I have doubts, since they only get about 50 cents per print.

Don't want those children's photos to fade away any time soon!

Aaaaaggggg! Got to run. My red light is flashing on my printer and it's asking for another $25 cartridge.

NRA_guy

5. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess Got hairspray?

It's been some time since I've developed real film, but I seem to recall that the paper was less important than the chemicals. I'm going to guess that any mass producer doesn't switch their chemicals out often enough. I'm also going to guess that there's a slightly different process now for the kiosks you use yourself.

You might want to take your question to the photography forum, though. They should be able to tell you what it is that allows photos to last longer.

Laura

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

For regular size prints, upload your images to York or another lab and have them printed. One of my friends does this will all her photos. I think she pays like $.15 each for standard-size prints.

7. Tvov

Tvov

We have an Epson Stylus CX3200. We stopped using "aftermarket" ink a few years ago, because we were constantly running the "nozzle clean" utility due to streaks and blobs. Using Epson cartridges virtually ended that. Have you looked into ordering directly from Epson? We found that the price of Epson cartridges directly from Epson was only a very little bit more than aftermarket.

At our local Staples, they stopped carrying aftermarket cartridges because according to a worker they had tons of complaints about the quality.

8. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Thanks for all the great advice.

PS: BikerGoddess, love your website---and your sense of humor.

NRA_guy