close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Archery report so far this year. (Montana)

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by lomfs24, Sep 8, 2004.

1. lomfs24

lomfs24

I have had a good year so far archery hunting. I have not killed anything yet and maybe that is why it is so good. I have not had to do the messy part yet.

Antelope season opened Aug 15th this year. So two week ago I put the sneak on a fairly nice antelope buck. I managed to get across 600 yards of open prarie without him noticing me only to blow it at the last moment. It was a rush though trying to get that close to an antelope without any cover.

Last weekend deer and elk season opened. About 4 hours after daylight on opening morning I blew a chance on a 6 poiht bull elk that would have scored somwhere between 340 and 360 in the Pope and Young scoring system. He was a nice one, he just got away.

Then the next day, I followed another smaller 6 point bull elk for quite a ways. I didn't have room to work around him to get ahead of him and the only thing he would give me to shoot at was his butt. Another one I had to watch walk away.

It was a great weekend though. I was surrounded by elk all weekend long. Two weeks from now I will headback up again and then there will be an elk in serious trouble then. One will come home with me that weekend.

2. jtshombre

jtshombre

Save some for me, wouldya bud! I can't go until rifle antelope, hopefully the winter didn't kill them off too bad. Good luck, and share a pic when you get that big bull, take care

3. lomfs24

lomfs24

I wouldn't think that last winter hurt the antelope too bad. I don't know what it is like down in your neck of the woods but up around Winnet there are more than enough to go around. I have seen some pretty nice looking bucks this year too.