Archery book for newbies?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by ShadowG17, Sep 29, 2003.

1. ShadowG17

ShadowG17

Anyone have any books they can recommend on Archery fundamentals? The wife has shown an incredible interest in bow hunting and I'd like to have us both setup with equipment and ready to hunt next season. We're planning to get low end PSE recurve bows because she hates compound bows. Not only is she interested in that, but she's wanting to camp, fish, and hunt with rifles! Wish I'd have known about all this when we first got together back in '97. ;G

Thanks.

2. ubimow

ubimow

I actually have a bowhunting book that I no longer need. I could send it to you if you would like (for free). Email me if you're interested.

3. Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf SHEEP DOG

Good luck on getting your wife involved in hunting. Feed her interest, without forcing it on her.... kind of like CCW.

I was lucky enough to spend the night before and morning after my wedding in the deer blind with my wife ;f
    We both took small bucks and were happy to be able to spend time together, doing something we both love.

Be safe and good luck ;)

Grey Wolf

4. Penman

Penman Goauche User

I think I've got a copy of Wambold's "Bowhunting for Deer" around somewhere, pm me your snail mail address if you want it. It's nice to see someone who prefers a traditional recurve.

5. ShadowG17

ShadowG17

Thank you for the posts. I'm tied up in work at the moment and will be back Sunday to reply.

6. tanto trader

tanto trader

In my opinion the longer the bow the better. Get a bow stringer it is a must for safety and I don't overlook used bow my recurve right now is a mid 60's Ben Pearson 45# at 28" that I pull to around 30" and the overall length is 64" I shoot 32" carbon fibers thought it at good speeds. I have hand shorter bows but they are not as smooth. My sister in law wanted to learn how to shoot and was a natural in one afternoon she was good enough to go out in the woods if she wanted to. Chris

7. ShadowG17

ShadowG17

Got a chance to mention this thread to the wife today while we were out shopping and she got a big laugh out of it. I made some small comments about wanting to go camping and do some fishing and hunting to fill the freezer and she took off with the idea. I think I may have created a monster here. It's not me forcing it on her, she believes she's being the forceful one. Sure, there are days where I may mention things, but it's usually her talking about all the different threads here and looking through Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop catalogs pointing everything out that she wants.

Right now she's wanting a PSE recurve for Christmas and I'm thinking of getting the same so we can learn together. I've got some friends that own some pawn shops, I'll have them keep an eye out for some used recurves for me. At the moment I think she's as interested in Archery competitions as she is in taking her first deer by bow. That's the main reason why I'm wanting something to teach fundamentals. I really appreciate the offers for the books and will email the address soon. Does anyone have any other titles they'd recommend?

8. Penman

Penman Goauche User

You might check to see what's available locally in the form of clubs that shoot indoors. It would be a good way for you both to pick up the fundamentals and meet some local people in the sport. Don't for get to check on opportunities for bowfishing, that's a good way to keep in practice in the off season.