Archery, anyone?? Where are the bow hunters?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Skyhook, May 18, 2007.

1. Skyhook

Skyhook

Since I retired my old Pearson and got the Reflex Renegade up and running, I have started to look into the possibility of discussing bow set-up, tuning, etc.

I saw no specific thread for bow folks, so, I am trying to get some responses here.

Thanks for looking in. :wavey:

2. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

I have an old bow that I bought from my barber. LOL! He had it setup for fishing. Yup! I said fishing. I took it down to this large creek about one - two miles from my house and tried my hand at shooting fish /w a bow. After several attempts. I finally landed two large grass carp. REAL FUN!:thumbsup: I just may go out this weekend and give it a try again. I will post pics this time around.:thumbsup:

3. Dan in Alaska

Dan in Alaska

I just bought my first bow a couple of months ago. Alaska has several "archery only" hunting opportunities, and I wanted to give them a try. I bought an inexpensive Mission bow (made my Mathews), and I have been shooting a bit. I am having a good time messing with the archery stuff. It's something completely new for me.

4. Skyhook

Skyhook

Years back I hunted NYS whitetail in the Adirondacks with that Pearson and my deep, abiding respect went out for any bow hunter who could actually stalk with a bow.

:shocked:

I was soon convinced the tree climbers had it just about right.:supergrin:

No one will likely ever see this bowman trying to be stealthy in another swamp, I swear! :shakehead:

5. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

I've only got one word to say about bowhunting!

Black Widow!

Well, make that, I only have two words to say about bowhunting.

I say get your Pearson back out, and stick with it, and my favorite type of deer hunting, is still hunting. It still gives me suck a rush to sneak up on wild animals, and them not knowing your there. You really have to be aware of the wind, and it's impossible to stalk if the wind isn't going in one direction.

6. SBM

SBM

I have a rig for my Bowtech. Good for carp, thinking I need to go to NO and go with a few gater boys this summer and try that...

7. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

:shocked: :thumbsup:

8. Travispitt

Travispitt

I'm an archery hunter. I shoot a hoyt havoc. it's small, quiet, and fast. I use beman ics carbon arrows and montec g5 brodheads. as said before keeping the wind in your fovor is key. if the wind is wrong you have no chance of getting close to your prey.

9. punkture

punkture

+1. i have an old pearson 45# recurve, but i primarily shoot my black widow saII 60# recurve. in a few months, i'll probably order one of black widow's longbows. very nice bows.

10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Strickly recurves here...from Martin Hunter, to Old Bear recurves, to Custom. 57-65 #'s. Still use XX75's with feather fletch, or wood with feather fletch. 30" length, with 5" helical feathers. Custom made 3 bundle flemish strings, Two blade, and three blade, Magnus Snuffers, or Zwickeys. Shoot off the rest. Keep arrow weight to 10/12 grains per poundage of weight of bow. Thus 60 # bow, 580/600gr weight arrow, broadhead and all.. 'Mass penetration' from this momentum.

Been doin er' since I was 11. I'm 56 next month. Gotta love bow huntin with a recurve. ;)

Have fun guys.

CanyonMan

11. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Is the date I set when I pick the bow I will be hunting with that year. Last year my decision was made between 6 bows, and for the first time I decided to go with the Black Widow. Having owned it for two years, and getting it for quite a good price 2nd hand, and having a couple others that I was very fond of made it a tough decision, but since making it, I will never look back. If ever there was a bow that was the perfect extension of my right arm and hand, I could not imagine it!:hugs:

My favorite arrow is also the XX75 in the 2216! I find it to be indestructable, and works with all my bows, from 45-60#'s!

All bows are wronghanded!

Black Widow MAII greybark 64" 46#@29"

Lightning Longbow w/ orange cocbola riser tonkin cane, bamboo, and carbon laminates 61# @ 30"

Lastly my 60's era Bear Grizzly the only way it came 55# @ 28"

12. Criphunter44

Criphunter44 ALPHA BEAR

Bow hunting is the Bomb!:banana:
    I've been shooting a bow since I was 10, started my son at 8.
    Nothing better then hit the sweet spot and knowing you'll have backstraps for dinner!

13. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I bought a new Reflex Highlander this year. 63 pounds.

Think I've got it tuned. I'm still practising my shooting. 3 pins, 20, 30, 40 yards. I'm working at 40 now, and the I'm still kinda shooting around 12" circle, not able to keep them inside it.

It's me. I like the bow a lot.

I'm a finger shooter. I've got all summer to work on accuracy :)

14. Travispitt

Travispitt

it's good to know how to shoot with your fingers but people seem to be more accurate when they use a release. you might wanna try one out

15. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

No, no, no. I'm a confirmed finger shooter. I've shot some release stuff, but fingers are a lifestyle choice :)

Anyway, what is the typical 40 yard accuracy for release shooters these days? For finger shooters? Anyone know?

16. Travispitt

Travispitt

I don't know about most shooters but at 40 yard I can put them all with in the size of a fist.

17. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Dang, that's good shootin' Lou.

:)

18. Travispitt

Travispitt

you just gotta get good at 60 yards then shooting 40 is like shooting 20. the release helps alot. it's gonna be more consistant than you will ever be with your fingers

19. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Yes, but a .30-06 with a 9x scope also helps a lot, too.

What I'd like to buy is a nice re-curve, and work on shooting without sights.

But in the meantime, I'm working on the compound, finger shooting, and sightpins.

20. Peter Lezard

Peter Lezard

I'm shooting a Martin Savanna longbow right now. We went for a few walks in the woods last year, but no deer yet...Just a couple woodchucks..If I get the time this summer I plan to make some wood arrows for it..