ar15 pistol to sbr?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by kappax12, Mar 21, 2010.

1. kappax12

kappax12

got a question, if i buy a ar15 or any sort of rifle pistol, if i want to add a stock to it, it become a sbr right? is it legal?

2. Gdirty5

Gdirty5

A LONG wait, and 200 dollar tax stamp, you may also need to get that lower engraved with a new serial number since you just "manufactured" a rifle out of a pistol. I think if you just get a rifle lower, and add a short upper, you can go w/o the new serial. Not 100%

3. rjrivero

rjrivero

By "Rifle pistol" I presume you mean rifle cartridge chambered pistol?

You CAN make a pistol into a SBR by putting a stock on it.

However, you must first submit a Form 1 to the ATF and get it back approved. That requires a bit of hoop jumping and a check for $200 for the effort. ;)

You will also need to engrave the receiver with the appropriate information as the manufacturer of a Short Barrel Rifle prior to building it.

The information would need to include your Name (Trust or LLC Name) and City, State of construction.

There are guidelines. The engraving must be visible without taking apart the rifle, the letters need to be 1/16" high. They need to be engraved to a depth of .030" (I believe.)

Do you still want to SBR your Pistol? ;)

4. rjrivero

rjrivero

You can. The upper can be moved from the Pistol Lower to the properly stamped SBR lower without penalty.

In fact, this is exactly the route I'm taking.

5. kappax12

kappax12

so the lower is the important piece that needs to be sbr registered. so lets get this straight, as long as i have a registered sbr lower, i can place any short upper on it, doesn't need to match serial # also?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  6. Gdirty5

Gdirty5

I wasn't 100% sure about the pistol lower either, but yea, that's the route I took. I have a "rifle" lower which I already sent off the paperwork for my SBR (the lower was engraved). But right now I have the upper on a pistol lower, which is registered as a pistol lower.

[​IMG]

It's a noveske 10.5 inch