Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Prime Example
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother is possibly taking a job in CA. IIRC, you can not have an AR in CA, unless it is specifically CA compliant made?

Man I hope I'm right, because if I am, I'm about to inherit and sweet AR.

·
Not Again.....
388 Posts
My brother is possibly taking a job in CA. IIRC, you can not have an AR in CA, unless it is specifically CA compliant made?

You are correct. He could modify it to make it compliant, but it's a hassle to say the least. Fix the mag, 10 capacity, plus some other ridiculous crap that I can't recall off the top of my head.

Congrats on your new AR!

·
Registered
69 Posts

To my knowledge, the CA assault weapons law has been so extensively modified that there is no CA compliant AR in any configuration. Check the CA DOJ website:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

If it is any of these:
AR-15 Series Weapons:

American Spirit
USA Model
Armalite
AR 10 (all)
M15 (all)
Golden Eagle
Bushmaster
XM15 (all)
Colt
Law Enforcement (6920)
Match Target (all)
* AR-15 (all)
Sporter (all)
Dalphon
B.F.D.
DPMS
Panther (all)
Eagle Arms
M15 (all)
EA-15 A2 H-BAR
EA-15 E1
Frankford Arsenal
AR-15 (all)
Hesse Arms
HAR 15A2 (all)
Knights
SR-15 (all)
SR-25 (all)
RAS (all)
Les Baer
Ultimate AR (all)
Olympic Arms
AR-15
Car-97
PCR (all)
Ordnance, Inc.
AR-15
Palmetto
SGA (all)
Professional Ordnance, Inc.
Carbon 15 Rifle
Carbon 15 Pistol
PWA
All Models
Rock River Arms, Inc.
Standard A-2
Car A2
Standard A-4 Flattop
Car A4 Flattop
NM A2 - DCM Legal
LE Tactical Carbine
Wilson Combat
AR-15

OR ...if it is semi auto, has a detachable magazine and even one of these features:

(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

OR...is
A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10
rounds.

OR...is
A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

Then it can no longer be legally purchased, imported, transferred, possessed, etc. in CA.

·
Prime Example
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I've come up with on the internets...

No pistol grip+no removable mag+flash suspressor=free AR for me!

Enjoy your new job with the Border Patrol, brother, while I enjoy my new wicked black rifle!

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Depending on the make/model it may be able to be made CA compliant, but thats pretty doubtful. Most of the major brands have been listed leaving "off list" lower receivers as the only viable platform to build a CA legal AR. Then of course you need a special grip or a fixed mag along with a few other special mods.

·
Registered
69 Posts
By the time you have it "compliant" its no longer an AR.

Fixed, Non detachachable mag with no more than 10 round capacity
No pistol grip/thumbhole stock
No Flash Supressor

At this piont its not as good as a nice Mini 14...unless you are thinking of getting it and doing some 'conversions'...in which case the word felony comes to mind. :whistling:

·
Prime Example
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope he goes soon, as he also just bought a few 1000 rounds of ammo.

On one hand I feel bad for my glee in the fact that he has to give up his rifle. On the other, more powerful hand, I feel "too bad so sad" excited for me.

It's nice, Bushmaster, he just got done with the vert grip, light and EOTech.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Man what a GAY ass state..... and i grew up there till i joined the military.....
Ill never live there...... I hope it all falss off into the ocean.... well except the part were my family is LOL

Im glad i dont have to deal with this crap......

Is Oregon close to this in any way???

·
Not Again.....
388 Posts
Man what a GAY ass state..... and i grew up there till i joined the military.....
Ill never live there...... I hope it all falss off into the ocean.... well except the part were my family is LOL

Im glad i dont have to deal with this crap......

Is Oregon close to this in any way???
What a delightfully tasteful and intelligent post. Keep them coming please. I rarely get tired of laughing at the ignorant.

·
Banned
2,055 Posts
How about take the rifle to california and shoot anyone that tries to take it away?

·
Registered
322 Posts
If your bro is going in the BP, is there some sort of LE exemption??

I really want to argue with all you people dissing California but I have no ammo (lead ammo anyway)

However it is in the 70's and I'm sitting here looking at the pacific (it's not all bad, just mostly)

·
Awwwww.........
2,065 Posts
If your bro is going in the BP, is there some sort of LE exemption??

I really want to argue with all you people dissing California but I have no ammo (lead ammo anyway)

However it is in the 70's and I'm sitting here looking at the pacific (it's not all bad, just mostly)
I live ON the coast and can fish from our patio. And we have lotsa guns and ammo as well. I'll take coastal living in Corpus over CA anytime. ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would not count your ARs before there hatched. Being in law enforcement there is a good chance he can still bring it here.
There are law enforcement excemptions but I am not sure of all the specifics

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Yea, depending on the brand throw a different grip on and for the most part be good to go. And since I think border patrol counts as leo then he can even keep his high caps for it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts