Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says, i have an offset flashlight mounted to my Aero M5 .308 and every mount I've used has failed within 100rds. Is there an offset mount that will not break under high recoil? I've used a streamlight, cloud defense and Olight mount so far with no success.

·
Banned
28,199 Posts
Arisaka.

I'd be a little surprised to break any of the mounts you mentioned however. I'd wonder if something else is going on such as making contact with barriers with the light while firing or something of that nature.

·
Nyuk,Nyuk,Nyuk!
9,329 Posts
I don't know anything about the subject but a question comes to mind:

How heavy is the flashlight?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know anything about the subject but a question comes to mind:

How heavy is the flashlight?
The light weighs a hair over 7oz. I've had the light and mount attached to other rifles for years with no issues at all. The problem started when i mounted it to the AR10 and I've gone through a few different styles since.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Arisaka.

I'd be a little surprised to break any of the mounts you mentioned however. I'd wonder if something else is going on such as making contact with barriers with the light while firing or something of that nature.
I saw those arisaka mounts previously, thanks for the second opinion. I'm not rough with my rifles, but they've been put through their paces and the flashlight/mount has been bumped a few times. Maybe the offset point is the weakest link and i should run an inline mount on a mlok slot at 3 or 9 o'clock.

·
Banned
28,199 Posts
I saw those arisaka mounts previously, thanks for the second opinion. I'm not rough with my rifles, but they've been put through their paces and the flashlight/mount has been bumped a few times. Maybe the offset point is the weakest link and i should run an inline mount on a mlok slot at 3 or 9 o'clock.
I'd also be fastidious about not over torquing things and the proper use of thread locker.

·
MacGyver
10,362 Posts
I use a Magpul (polymer) offset flashlight picatinny mount running a streamlight Pro-Tac HL.

How how are your mounts breaking-- and not affecting other components?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Sounds strange, those are all excellent quality mounts. Maybe try a Surefire M600DF with an integrated thumbwheel mount. You’ll get an excellent light and that mount should hold up no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
42,442 Posts
I’ve ran a Surefire light on a few .308 guns, never had any issues.

What light are you running?
What mount, as in how does it interface with the rail?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Flashlight was a streamlight protac HL-X
Mounts were
Streamlight HLX offset (came with light)
Olight WM25 offset
Cloud defense OWL offset pressure switch light

Olight flashlight tube screw/nut snapped in half, hand tightened 2 finger snug.
Cloud defense mount pressure switch buttons quit functioning within 100rds.
HLX offset mount nut hand tightened snug, opposite flashlight tube allen screws tightened to 20/in. lbs with a torque screwdriver . After 80ish rounds one of the tube screws was loose, i went to retighten by and the threads were stripped.
In the defense of the manufacturers, they all replaced the assemblies at no expense but i wasn't given a reason for the failures.

·
Banned
28,199 Posts
There is no excuse for the Owl, I hope you sent it back. Screws shouldn't get loose when using thread locker. If you aren't using thread locker the screws get loose and strip as you've witnessed.

Reactions: HuntingFree

·
Premium Member
42,442 Posts
+1 I am not using threadlocking compound on my mounts, maybe that's the issue.
They could be loosening then the hardware breaks as more play is created. I use medium thread locker and place witness marks on the hardware to easily see if they have loosened

·
Patrol Corporal
1,788 Posts
Are you using a muzzle brake?

Brakes generate a weird recoil impulse that is hard on mounts and optics internals.

When the round fires the rifle recoils to the rear and the momentum follows. But when the bullet hits the expansion chamber of the brake the brake starts to pull the rifle forward, suddenly reversing the momentum, or At least trying to arrest it. The zig-zag, push-pull force puts a weird dynamic shear force on certain components that might be designed or intended to take the force in one direction.

It is my understanding that this was an issue with very efficient brakes like the ones on some of the .50BMG rifles.

I don’t know if your rifle is equipped with a brake or if this may be a cause. It’s just a thought.

I hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Are you using a muzzle brake?

Brakes generate a weird recoil impulse that is hard on mounts and optics internals.

When the round fires the rifle recoils to the rear and the momentum follows. But when the bullet hits the expansion chamber of the brake the brake starts to pull the rifle forward, suddenly reversing the momentum, or At least trying to arrest it. The zig-zag, push-pull force puts a weird dynamic shear force on certain components that might be designed or intended to take the force in one direction.

It is my understanding that this was an issue with very efficient brakes like the ones on some of the .50BMG rifles.

I don’t know if your rifle is equipped with a brake or if this may be a cause. It’s just a thought.

I hope you get it figured out.
I like this answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.