Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.
Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by J. Parker, Jan 8, 2011.
Hey good folks,
What are the least expensive, highest quality red dots on the market?
Primary Arms Aimpoint clones, either their T1 or M4 clones.
I have a Primary Arms with a high rise mount, honestly - this is my favorite red dot at the moment.
Another vote for Primary Arms. I bought the T1 clone before Christmas and couldn't be happier with it. A friend of mine liked it well enough that he bought one as well. They are very affordable and seem to be very nicely made. IMO, for a range gun and the average shooter they are an excellent option.
What ^they all said.
Suck it up and pay the $ for an eotech. If you decide you don't like it you can get most of your money back selling it. There are times to save money and times to invest in quality. I personally would not put a questionable optic on any firearm. Check out ebay, I just picked up a new 512 (AA battery model) for $400.
There's Aimpoint, and then there's everything below it.
I got the Primary Arms T1 clone and am really liking it. Some say suck it up and go with the Aimpoint T1 right off the bat but finances did not allow. After evaluating I have decided to go with one and am saving to go with the original.
Another vote for Primary Arms for a general range gun/ plinker. My view is-- for the price they are a great optic. It gave me a chance to try out a Micro before I spent $500 on the real thing. If you like it and want to upgrade later then the PA will go well on a .22
Another vote for Primary Arms if it's for recreational use. If it's for possible "serious social use" then get an Aimpoint or Eotech.
I'm still trying to decide between the Eotech and the Burris AR-332 for my MP15...mostly recreational, home defense, SHTF...opt for the Primary Arms instead?
Thanks for the input!
Eotech shines at CQB distances and is good to at least 300m (my own tests) whereas the Burris gives you fixed magnification which hurts speed of engagement at close range plus is far more critical of cheekweld & eye relief.
If this is for possible HD/SHTF use then go w/the Eotech, IMHO. Marshall at Primary Arms specifically states that the Primary Arms optics aren't meant for serious use.
I don't like the eotech. I find it too busy and distracting. I would much rather have a 2MOA dot, such as an Aimpoint, or primary arms, etc.
Its just my personal preference. I would strongly prefer testing one out in person before buying it online, you may love it, or you may hate it, but its better to find that out before it arrives at your house.
I've got a Primary Arms Micro Red Dot, and haven't had any problems with it yet.
Or you can get and Eotech with the dot only like I did.
BTW. I have several PA red dots as well and they all work great and hold zero fine.
Trijicon, Aimpoint, and Eotech, are without a doubt, the top 3. We can argue the merits of the RMR, the Aimpoint line, and the Eo till the cows come home, with no clear winner, but they're definitely the top teir of red dots.
Slightly below them, we have Doctor, Elcan, Leupold, and some other nice red dots.
Then you have the "range toy" red dots, that will work fine for 90% of shooters, and won't survive much use by the other 10%, of those, you have primary arms knockoffs, burris fast fire's, and the gambit of others clones.
It all really depends on what you want to spend. I would say save the money up, and get one of the first three. Because you really can notice the difference between the burris/primary arms level stuff, and the Eotech/Aimpoint/Trijicon level stuff.
Great point...I think the price difference is $100.. Burris AR-332 $300 and the EOTech 512 $400...I have $200 in gift cards so I may as well jump up to the EOTech
My MP15 has front fixed iron sites and removable carry handle. With that said, the EOTech will fit on the flat top and the red dot will line up with the front iron site, correct? I guess purchase a BUIS as well?
I have the Vortex StrikeFire with red and green dots as well as the Vortex SPARC. Both are excellent red dot sights, high quality and very reasonably priced. EOTech's are nice but the Vortex sights are an excellent alternative that will give you years of reliable service.
Depends on the height of your mount, my EO reticle's center dot, floats just above the front sight post.
Because there's virtually no parallax w/any of the quality red dot sights, once sighted-in the dot should coincide w/your BUIS when aiming through the BUIS.
The Eotech 512 will give you an absolute cowitness w/your BUIS while the 517 (same as the 512 but w/a 7mm raised base & side control buttons [which don't get in the way of your rear BUIS]) will give you a 1/3 cowitness w/your BUIS.
Always have BUIS, regardless of which red dot sight you have (I use Magpul MBUS, they're affordable and good enough for BUIS, YMMV).
HTH, keep us posted!...