AR Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by TacticalTree, Apr 18, 2012.

1. TacticalTree

TacticalTree Just a Guy

Hi guys,

I have a friend who is currently looking to purchase an AR-type rifle or carbine in 5.56 at an affordable price. He has asked for my help in determining what make and model to go with. I am knowledgeable about firearms in general, but do not have much experience with AR's (I'm an AK guy). I am hoping that the vast knowledge and experience of the members of this forum can offer some guidance.

The Specifics

As stated above, he is looking for an AR-type rifle or carbine chambered in 5.56. He wants something that has MILSPEC internals or the compatibility to upgrade to MILSPEC in the near future. And, he wants to spend under $1000 (we are in central Ohio and from what I can tell prices around here are generally pretty reasonable compared to those in some of your locales).

I am looking for recommendations with regard to make and model, optimal all around rifling twist rate, and the advantages/disadvantages of differing receiver top styles (i.e. A2 carry handle vs. flat top vs. other options), ideal barrel length for a general purpose short-to-mid range (25-300 yds) rifle/carbine, and anything else I may need to consider in terms of furniture/part/tool compatibility between variants.

Any help you all can offer would be greatly appreciated.

2. TactiCool

TactiCool

I just built a budget AR for just under $900 and is all milspec. Check out bravo company usa for an upper and bolt carrier group and palmetto state armory for the lower bits. Mine came out to exactly $895 including tax, shipping, and transfer fee. The flat top receivers can accept a carry handle as well.

3. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

We have a winner. If you want to save a little more money, you can do a PSA upper, as well.

OP, I'd suggest a 16" chrome lined barrel, 1/7 or 1/8 twist, mid-length gas system with a standard A-frame front sight, a quality (LMT, BCM, Daniel Defense, or even PSA) full-auto bolt carrier group, and a quality fixed or folding rear sight. Add the stock, pistol grip, and handguards of your friend's choice, and they will have a solid rifle. As always, I suggest learning to run the gun before adding foregrips, rails, lights, lasers, etc.

Remember, buy once, cry once. Save the money to buy something QUALITY the first time around, and not buy junk 2 or 3 times over because it keeps failing.

If you shop around, for the mentioned price range you can even possibly score a Colt 6920 for at or just under $1,000, and have a great right out of the gate. My only complaint with the Colt is the carbine gas system - mid-length is a definite improvement.

4. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

+10
    There you have it.
    :wavey:

5. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Tell him to buy a stripped lower and a PSA rifle kit that suits his needs.

6. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

I want to add, too, that the BO-CO rule applies equally both to the rifle itself, AND to accessories. You will be MUCH better served saving up for a rail from a quality manufacturer than buying crap and slapping it on the gun. This goes DOUBLE for anything electronic or optical - sights, lights, lasers, etc. Buy the good stuff the first time, and you only have to cry over price. It's why my AR wears Troy BUIS, a Surefire Scout weaponlight, and an Aimpoint optic.

7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

8. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

Colt 6920, BCM, DDM4 are excellent rifles for anyone who is looking at getting into AR's. They are milspec from the start and the amount you would save on purchasing a less worthy rifle is minimal if any at all. The barrel, bolt, and bolt carrier are the heart of the rifle and I would greatly recommend not skimping on a lesser quality of those parts if you absolutly want to cut cost. A Colt 6920 can still be had for $1050 by G&R and is a great deal for what you get.

9. DieselNut

DieselNut

Drive out to G&R Tactical and pick a 6920 up.

10. K. Foster

K. Foster

Good advice!

11. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG Milspectacular

If "MILSPEC" is what your friend requires, just search the local Wal-marts for a Colt 6920. It is a little over the budget, but after taxes it should be under $1100.

A smarter man would build it himself (or order a BCG, complete upper, complete lower and snap two pins closed) with parts that meet or exceed the MIL-STD and better suited than the carbine length gas system. But for out of the box and brand name status, looking for a Colt 6920 from Walmart would be the best solution for your friend.

12. TacticalTree

TacticalTree Just a Guy

Thanks for all the replies so far. I think that I am going to try to convince him to build one so that I can use it as a practice run for an eventual AR build for myself.

13. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

I'd suggest getting pre-assembled upper and lower. A lower isn't hard to build, but still requires a couple specialized tools and a vice to do correctly. An upper requires a couple additional tools, and a vice is mandatory to ensure the barrel nut is torqued correctly. Even if you buy an upper and lower that are lacking stock and handguards, you don't need any of those specialized tools.

14. sr975j

sr975j

if he is thinking about building, here is what i did. Got a Spike's Tactical lower from Aim Surplus. Lower build kit from Palmetto State Armory which included a Magpul stock and grip. Spikes complete flat top upper off gunbroker. I got all this for about $700. this was my first AR build and the lower took me less than 2 hours to build while watching the "how to" video from Brownells. i had most of the specialty tools but had to improvise a little bit here and there.

since i built it, ive added quad rails, a foregrip, and a Nikon scope will be here this Monday. everything said and done, i have finished it in the $900-950 range. it is a very solid rifle and has been flawless so far although i havent put it through the paces yet but i plan to soon.

push him to build, not buy....its more fun that way.

Sam

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  15. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

Get a Colt 6920, and don't look back. After that, build what ever your resources allow.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  16. Drucker

Drucker

I walked into 3 LGS this weekend and asked if they carried Colt 6920. Each and every one of them said they had never heard of it. Then went on to tell me how you paid extra for the pony and that non standard parts are used. They then proceeded to suggest buying RRA,BCM or the house brand.... Still looking

17. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

There's not a damn thing wrong with BCM. Honestly, I'd buy Bravo Company before I bought a Colt.

18. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Seriously man, BCM is worth giving thought to. Excellent gear, IMO the absolute best bang-for-the-buck out there.

Start with a decent quality lower(Mega, etc...) & LPK. (Armalite makes good kits that won't break the bank)

Add a BCM upper & their auto-spec BCG.

The rest of it? Just start with the basic furniture, then change it later as desired.

Though the BCM Gunfighter charging handle is $45 VERY well spent. I'd go ahead and throw that into the initial build.

:wavey:

19. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

BCM is an excellent brand. I've known Paul Buffoni professionally and his company will take care of you.

That said, if three gunshops said they "didn't know" what a 6920 was, they're either uneducated enough they should not be working there, playing dumb, or they're just idiots.

Colts do 'not' use nonstandard parts. The only difference between a 6920 and an 'actual' M4 carbine as issued to the US military is 1.5" more barrel and it's missing the group therapy setting on the selector switch and the internal parts for it. Which, having carried said real M4s, is almost never used anyways.

In the 90s Colt had non-standard receiver pin sizes, done specifically so you couldn't use a select-fire lower on a civvy upper. That has long since stopped, and there are pin adaptors (which cost about $5) which would fix the issue if you somehow managed to pick up an old Ban Gun which was built that way.

A Colt 6920 is the standard all others are judged by. A BCM is about as close as it gets to being identical, and a Daniel Defense is also excellent. If you can find a LaRue or Noveske in that price range, it'd be a miracle (they cost more, and you get what you pay for) but any of them would be good.

20. bullittmcqueen

bullittmcqueen Gunfighter

I can't echo this enough. You will never regret buying from BCM.