Ar pistol question

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by 02limitedwj, Oct 8, 2010.

1. 02limitedwj

02limitedwj

Im wanting to build an AR pistol for my next build because i already have a carbine, a middy, and a M&p 15-22...my question is when i go to buy the lower , should i get it registered as a pistol or is there anything different i have to do to make it legitimate...i wasnt sure if i had to do anything special or can i just build it as normal???

2. 02limitedwj

02limitedwj

ps i know not to put a stock or a buffer tube that can accept a stock

3. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

The lower has to be registered as a pistol. Not all lowers can be registered as pistols and not all dealers can do the registration. The dealer has to have a special type of permit to do so and some do, some don't.

Depending on availability in your area, state laws, and even dealer cooperation, it might just be easier to buy a complete AR pistol.

For example, in CA, you have to buy a complete AR pistol new from the dealer or used in a PPT. You cannot DROS (transfer) a stripped lower as a pistol from a dealer if you are not LEO.

4. 02limitedwj

02limitedwj

ok ill check into it at my local dealers...thanks for the heads up

5. DD26

DD26 Anti-Anti

Are you building from a stripped lower?

If so, it will be transferred as "other", no matter what. You can build anything you want from it.

Keep in mind, lowers marked "Pistol" aren't worth more than a non-marked lower, so don't pay a premium for a Pistol-marked lower. It holds zero legal weight. It's just a feel-good option for companies to charge more for the same exact non-marked lower they sell.

Buy a stripped lower, throw an LPK in it with a pistol buffer tube, slap on your pistol upper of choice and enjoy it.

Then again, since you mentioned "registered", maybe you have stricter laws where you are. Most states don't make you "register" guns.

6. 02limitedwj

02limitedwj

ok i was making sure before i did it the wrong way...thanks a lot for the info and ill post pictures when complete!!