AR Pistol in 7.62x39, or 5.56?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Shiznown, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Shiznown

Shiznown

About the CPD mags. I have two 30 round and two 10 round mags. I only have Wolf ammo. I haven't gone to the range to test the mags yet. I just hope they work and feed. They loaded, ONLY with a speed loader and I tried to see if the cartridges would push out of the mags just by hand and nope. The springs are so stiff, they are pretty much impossible to load fully by hand, or unload unless you're a model T800 or greater. Hell, I couldn't even unload them with the speed loader just to see. So hopefully they feed fine.

2. fflincher

fflincher

I have two pistols I'll talk about here. One is an AK action on a 10-11 inch barrel in 7.62x39 with an early SB brace. Wonderful gun! Ideal for a DIY neighborhood ruckus. The other is an AR with a 10-11 inch barrel in 5.56 with a Shockwave brace. It is a great comfort to have. It is shot more often (and most often) with a .22 LR conversion unit.

I believe the 7.62 with the "effect" (M8) bullet from a short barrel is roughly as effective as is the 5.56 softpoint slug from a short barrel at the close distances for which both are intended.

The AR is lighter than the AK. More ammo can be carried in a shorter magazine.
    Either will fill the under 100 yard squabble niche. Both are just as fun as they can be, but the AR caliber choice gets it to the range more often.

3. flyover

flyover

I have a Draco, it is a blast to shoot.

jconn465 likes this.
  4. Chowser

Chowser

I built a 7.5" 5.56 pistol and decided it's better off as an SBR since my Sandman-K suppressor will work with it so I threw it on one of my SBR'd lowers. Now I need to build something else for the pistol lower. Waiting on my Dead Air mount now. My Sandman-K is normally on my 6" 300blk pistol.

[​IMG]

6"300 blk pistol:

[​IMG]

jconn465 likes this.
  5. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

If you choose a x 39, beware the very thin walls on the face of the bolt. I had a bolt in a carbine shatter and lock the entire rifle. I had to beat it apart with a rubber mallet, as the metal got into the tube with the buffer. In short, have an extra bolt.

6. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

Wait. Is the OP planning to go with an AR regardless of caliber? In that case, 5.56 is what you want if for no other reason than the one highlighted in the post I quoted. If you go 7.62x39...Get an AK.

7. hogship

hogship Stop the steal! Silver Member

Question: If the short barrel is desired, why wouldn't the best choice be to go with a pistol cartridge, and keep the longer barrels for cartridges intended for longer barrels?

Are we talking about a range toy here, or something intended for serious defensive purposes?

8. fasteddie565

Not to speak for him, but the OP states an AR for PDW.

9. kcuv

kcuv

5.56 gets my vote.

10. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

I can't warm up to an AR pistol for defense. I realize my opinion counts for fart in the wind, but just saying.

11. fasteddie565

To be honest, I had a hard time as well. My experience with similar weapons was with the MP5K where everything was handheld or steadied with a sling. The braces help with that situation, as long as they are still available......

12. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

Because a chopped down rifle cartridge is still a rifle cartridge. I can shoot the bad guy with a 7" barrel 9mm/.45/.40/10mm, or I can do the same with a 5.56mm or 7.62 Commie or 7.62 NATO.

I'd rather use the latter.