AR or M4...Polymer mags vs Steel mags what say you?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Scamp57, Oct 16, 2020.

1. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

Pretty much same thing quality usgi magazines 20-30s okay doke's
    For polymer I prefer the lancer translucent 30 mags. I do like the magul d60 drum better than my surfire quad stack.

2. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

If you can find it, Beretta steel ARX100 mag. Imagine a commie steel AK mag but for the M16.

George Kaplan and bubbatime like this.

3. sarge40

sarge40

Never, ever had a problem with my 20 round USGI mags. Old as hell and still function flawlessly. Most of my older 30 round USGI mags with green followers (swapped out or original) work flawlessly too. I've got an HK mag also, but you are talking more money. You can't tilt that follower if you try.

PMAGS work fine, but I wouldn't trust keeping a polymer mag loaded long term.

4. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

On usgi magazines my observations.
    Brownells I bought in the 2007-08 time frame 2 of them wouldn't lock the bolt back the other 8 I have has always worked no problems. But with internet help I figured out why those 2 magazines didn't work and I now know why the okay magazines are the best ar15 usgi magazine market. Hint the 2 stamped shells that make the body are misaligned badly. All of the brownells have some miss alignment and the spot welds have gaps in between them. D&H usgi are lot better for alignment and spot welds. But the okay usgi are even better the alignment is spot on and the spot welds are perfect and absolute no gaps in between them.
    Also using the same magpul follower you can tell a difference between the 3 different usgi shells same as before the brownells its very loose sloppy fit. The D&H magazines are a lot better but again the okay magazine shells align and guide the magpul followers the best.

5. bubbatime

bubbatime

Gen 3 Magpul is the best mag on the market ... period. It has constant curve technology that reliably feeds the rounds (that the GI mags lack) and it has a higher feed angle that feeds the rounds higher into the chamber, preventing nose dives or excessive wear on the aluminum feed ramps. It’s a highly engineered mag that was built to solve problems and issues seen with GI mags and 2nd gen PMAGs...

If I was going to war or apocalypse I absolutely positively would have gen 3 Magpul magazines in my carbine.

The best GI mags are Okay surefeed mags. Better built, better tolerances, they just work.

The best metal mag I have ever used is the Beretta steel ARX100 magazine. It’s made in Italy of steel, has a heavy duty spring, a high quality metal anti tilt follower. It has the nicest cleanest welds I have ever seen and just oozes quality . You used to be able to get them on Berettas website for about $17 a piece but they are extremely hard to find nowadays. Prolly the nicest stanag metal mag in existence. I have several thousand rounds through mine - no jams or issues.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  6. Samuel_Hoggson

Samuel_Hoggson

Best are USGI alloy, preferably OKAY/NHMTG. 20 straight or curved, and 30s.

Use P-mags as range mags, as I did with Orlites. They tend not to impress bolt catches......the P-mags, I mean. And there's a reason they include covers with P-mags.

7. jeff22

jeff22

Has anyone actually worn an AR mag out? Besides damage from dropping them how many of you have seen a worn out mag from individual use? How many rounds did it take?

I don’t think AR mags get worn out as often as people worry about them getting worn out.

I don’t have any guns but when I did I started switching over from metal mags to PMAG which i also don’t have any more.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  8. 0311INF

0311INF

I've seen many GI mags go out of service, but that's mostly due to thousands of rounds or fairly rough handling and abuse.

George Kaplan likes this.
  9. ACE31

ACE31

Never worn one out yet. I previously used stripper clips and a guide to load my USGI mags. Now I use a Magula on them and Pmags. Well worth the $. Can't speak more highly for Magula loading tools.

10. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

Read between the lines of all the responses thus far and you realize that any quality magazine is good.

Hands down, the Beretta mags top them all. Unbelievable build quality. If I had to choose only one, it would be the Beretta magazines.

Colt38SuperDude and ThomasM4 like this.
  11. oogy_pls

oogy_pls

I have a good variety and I can honestly say they're all about the same.

I have a good stock of Okay Ind. and Duramag USGI's for retro builds and other STANAG rifles.

I have a mountain of Gen 2 and 3 P-mags cause they're cheaper in bulk. These are my go to's but that's simply because I have the most of them sitting around in my range stuff.

I also recently started getting into the Lancers and I really like those as well.

But I have dropped, banged, tossed, mag-dumped, and generally beat every one of the mags I have with no problem. I could go on about ****ty mags for a while but the quality stuff all sits on par with each other IMO.

12. jk_226

jk_226

Definitely.

13. hardluk1

hardluk1

My mags are mostly D&H mags along with some gray finished usgi that might be d&h as there made the same way have a few of brownels that also run well . all look to have magpull followers of different colors , yellow gray and green . I have a few 10 rounds and 20 rounders but mostly 30 round mags . Never tried a polymer mag

14. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

Pretty much.
    Theres more than one choice which is good btw so it can come down to a personal choice.

15. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

I haven't tried the beretta magazine I have no doubt it good. I do have an HK steel magazine and it have worked good for me no problems. But it's big and heavy, had a bunch of P mags again they worked perfectly fine no problems ended up selling them because they were a little bit taller/ bulker mostly just a personal choice but I like the lancer's better typically use them for my range mags.
    The usgi aluminum mags I like because they are little bit lighter than the polymer magazines and less bulky. Fit into mag poches better also.

16. Samuel_Hoggson

Samuel_Hoggson

Never even had to replace a spring on any of our USGIs. Many Univ/Labelle/OKay/Colt purchased in "well-worn condition". Nor have we bothered to replace followers with whatever latest/greatest versions. Which means we have all kinds of followers and mags of about all ages. All work flawlessly (so far).

Have beaten Orlites to death, feed lips crack, double feed, fail to retain rounds transported in an ammo can. Haven't beaten a P-mag to death yet. But some of our 2nd gen P-mags have been cranky about keeping the BCG back. Even when new. Some have spilled rounds when dropped in dirt at MG shoots. They probably hold up fine dropped from an airplane or run over by a tank....with covers on....don't do that stuff, tho.

17. BillKilgore

BillKilgore

akpls likes this.
  18. akpls

akpls

Good enough for me until proven otherwise.....

"The Magpul GenM3 PMag was the only magazine to perform to acceptable levels across all combinations of Marine Corps 5.56mm rifles and ammunition during testing. That magazine has, therefore, been approved for use for both training and combat," Marine Corps Systems Command (MARCORSYSCOM) told Military Times."

Edit: Ah.... BK snuck his post in while I was working on mine.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

19. collim1

collim1

I was slow to jump on the Pmag train in the beginning.

I have a ton of 30 and 20 round GI.

A few years ago I started buying the Pmags because they were so cheap and had some long term cred by that point.

I’ve never had a problem with either.

20. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

That AWB allowed "grandfathering". That WON'T happen next time.

bubbatime likes this.