close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AR lowers....do you build them or keep them stripped?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by emt1581, Jan 27, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I bought a bunch of lowers last week. I plan to build one up and do some moving around so that all my uppers will have a lower attached. However, I'll be left with 4 or 5 of them that will remain stripped.

So I'm curious, obviously if funds allow, do you build up your lowers or just leave them stripped?

Also, what were the terms of the last AWB as far as AR's go? If you had stripped lowers, could you buy an upper and put the gun together or was this not allowed? How much did lowers shoot up in price during the AWB?

Here are my thoughts....

I don't have the SPACE for close to a dozen AR's. I ran out of room last year in my safe and I'll be buying a much bigger one soon. So it doesn't make sense for me to build up all the lowers, unless I want to just stick them in corners and cases under my bed.

I also don't have the FUNDS to build up a bunch of them. I mean if I found out that there would be a ban tomorrow...I could order everything I needed and build them up immediately...but other than that I don't have $5-$10 grand to spend on building nice AR's.

I figure I'll hold on to most of them as stripped lowers until I have a need to build them up or until they skyrocket in price (if AR lowers even do that) AND I need the money. If I'm not hurting for money, I'll eventually buy enough uppers to turn them into functioning guns and just pass on everything to my kids.

How about you?

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I don't buy more than one at a time. Stripped lowers are useless, unlike built rifles.

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I dunno about that. I mean I agree with you that you can't defend yourself with a stripped lower very well.

However, it does give you the advantage of keeping what you build "off the books" so to speak. I mean I turned one of mine into a .50BMG...but as far as the ATF is concerned I just have a stripped receiver.

Plus, if they ARE allowed to be built up during a ban but not bought/cheaply, I'd think that would be another reason to have them.

Again, any clue what the rules said during the AWB in terms of stripped lowers?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

4. smokin762

smokin762

If I remember correctly, any lower's that were bought before the ban had to be mated to the upper before the AWB went into effect. Any lower that was bought before the ban that was not mated with an upper had to follow the AWB rules of the law.

I may be wrong but I thought that was how it went. I chose to block out those dark times.:whistling:

5. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oh ok, so lowers didn't change in price one way or the other no matter if they were pre or post ban right?

Were lowers marked "post ban"? Sounds like you just had to make sure you had the right uppers matched with the right lowers...other than lugs and other minor parts it doesn't sound like prices changed much at all. People who had mixed parts had to wait until the ban sunsetted to put the parts together.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

6. smokin762

smokin762

The price of Pre Ban AR's went through the roof during the AWB.

Pre Ban made AR's I believe had to be a complete rifle before the ban went in to effect to be considered a Pre Ban rifle. If it was a Pre Ban rifle then you could put any upper on it.

Any rifle or lower that was made during the AWB could only use AWB approved parts.

If I am not mistaken any lower that was made before the AWB that was sold new as a lower only and was not a complete rifle before the law went into effect had to follow the AWB.

The serial number would tell if it was a Pre Ban lower or not.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  7. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Did the gov. actually nail anyone for mixing upper and lowers?

I started shooting/buying right before the ban ended. So the only thing I bought was a 15rd and a 33rd Glock pre-ban mag.

But the AR receiver rules seemed confusing to me. I'm just wondering if the BATF actually set up stings at gunshows and such or did they just throw more jail time at true criminals for the type of weapon they used?

I'm guessing they would highly restrict the SALES of parts as well as guns if there was to be another one....but anyways....back on topic! :)

Who else either keeps them stripped or builds them up??

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

8. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

Good conversation.

I thought that IF you had a lower (receiver that has the serial number!) BEFORE the 'ban' went into effect, you could build it in either configuration ('pre-ban' or 'post-ban').

IF you bought the receiver AFTER the 'ban' went into effect, you HAD to build as a 'post-ban' firearm.

Date of manufacture and date of sale. . . if memory serves me.

As for having stripped lowers, as long as all of the 'internals' are still available, the lowers should be considered 'money in the bank'.

I do know that my 'pre-ban' AR went up in price, drastically, the day after the ban went into effect.
    Same would hold true IF it happens, again, I'll wager.

9. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

So lowers themselves will never shoot up in price....only finished guns.

Preban lowers really have no advantage by themselves right?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

10. TrooperBrian

TrooperBrian

I almost bought a few of those stripped DSA lowers, but I would have no use for them. I would rather take that money and keep improving on existing firearms. Thus why I have three really nice guns for long, mid, and CQB..and not 30.

However, one day with an excess of disposable income, I intend to buy up 10 completed AR-15s, put them in a big rack in my living room, and label it "FOR ZOMBIE ELIMINATION".

11. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I appreciate the reply, but I need to see a pic of these three guns ya got that might be worth 30 crappy guns! :shocked:

I like your idea for the rack of AR's, but I might label it differently. ;)

-Emt1581

12. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

its not really difficult to have an 'expensive' ar15,

look outside the realm of the lower end bushmasters cmmg, etc ..

you get anything with noveske, daniel defense, larue, lmt, etc ..

ive got enough in 1 ar to get probably 4-5 of the bushmasters ..

and if you get into a full custom you can even go higher than that ..

i prefer quality and am willing to pay for it

13. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Ok, so ONE AR that's worth between 4 and 5 grand....I'd still love to see it!

-Emt1581

14. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

My recollection was, even if you had a receiver made before the ban, if it was not built into a complete rifle PRIOR to the ban taking effect, then it could only be built into a post-ban configuration.

However...

There was no procedure in place to "prove" the exact date when a weapon was built-up from a stripped receiver, and the various lower receiver factories had plenty of notice before the law went into effect.

Anyone who buys stripped lowers as a hedge against a future AWB is betting that the anti-gunners haven't learned from their past mistakes. Dumb as they are, that's a bet I wouldn't make, or take. If they can get another ban through congress, I expect it to have all the loopholes plugged, and registration included. That will make any stripped lowers less-than-useful (and spendy) paperweights.

15. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Why is that?...about the lowers being useless. I mean the only way that would be true is if they made you register/use an FFL to buy an upper. In other words both the upper AND lower are registered/restricted and classified as the gun...no?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

16. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Registration of a weapon usually requires describing it in a complete and detailed manner, including barrel length, caliber, etc. Stripped receivers cannot by definition meet this requirement, so registration would probably be denied. Most states that have mandated registration (and the Feds, also, for the initial automatic weapon/machinegun registry) included a cut-off date, beyond which weapons could no longer be registered, only turned-in for destruction.

Not registered by X-XX-XXXX, it's illegal.
    Not built-up by the same date, it cannot be registered.
    Simple.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  17. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Gotcha!

I'm pretty confident such a thing will happen before I die, unfortunately. :upeyes:

On the upside I can't wait to be an outlaw!!! Might evern get myself a pair of chaps, wild west gun belt, and a cowboy hat just to play the role! ;)

It does make me curious how repairs will take place if something like that happens. I mean can you replace the barrel/slide/etc of guns or once it's broke it can't have parts replaced?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

18. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

They don't care. As far as they're concerned, a broken gun would be one less "assault weapon" on the streets, and good riddance.

19. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Here is a link to the proposed successor to the old AWB, put forth in 2007, I believe:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.R.1022:

Here is a snip from the language, with a few comments I added. After the bill defines a list of exempted guns to placate the hunters, it goes into the list of banned characteristics of assault weapons, but it expands this are from the previous ban.

[​IMG]

These folks DO learn from their mistakes. Occasionally. To our detriment.

So, the answer to the thread title is: Build Them.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  20. TrooperBrian

TrooperBrian

I'm sure by now you've already seen these, they're a bit old, I've since added a few more things..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]