close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AR Five SeveN

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by UniversalBrow06, Mar 11, 2010.

1. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

Maybe this is a double post without my knowing it, but what's with all the flood of FN57's for around $1,000 these days? Aim has them, ClassicArms, Buds, JG, CDNN... kinda everyone is selling these with a nice case and four 50 rounders included.

Are they just not selling? Are they not good quality? The price doesn't seem too bad, and I'm tempted to throw some money together and just get one, but I keep on asking myself how would I use it? For what purpose?

HD seems to be the best idea I can come up with... I guess only in close quarters, with the risk of over penetration would I considering taking the ballistics benefits of the 5.7x28 cartridge over .223/5.56. Ammo is not cheap (although not that expensive either) enough to make it an easy range gun. I'm not going to be taking any big game with it. Maybe just have it on hand for SHTF and use the lower to build another AR later? :dunno:

Maybe I'm just attracted to the decent price and 50 round capacity.

2. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

AR top 5.7 make more sense to me than the PS90 at twice the price.
    As has been pointed out before, the round was meant for AP and burst shooting.
    The PS90 we can get has neither.

I have the pistol.
    May get the top end for my AR...or not.
    Fun pistol BTW.
    :supergrin:

3. StarShip2100

StarShip2100 Futurist

The five seven was prtoduced top fill a void between sub guns and rifle. Even the handgun was developed for military applications. Thats why with the AP ammo it will defeat a MICH helmet on non-plate vest.

Almost no recoil, so fast follow up shots are easy. The pistol is crazy light. Its a fun plinker and rabbit round. But again, the application was designed for full auto AP work - think CIA and NSA.

4. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

This is what I keep on thinking about. Even just a full-auto AR57 with civi ammo seems like it would be slightly more practical. With a semi-auto platform, it seems like you pretty much negate any benefits of the 5.7x28 cartridge over your typical .223/5.56 carbine or pistol caliber SBR.

5. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Too expensive and not powerful enough.

Now you'll get all the 5.7 fan boys in here shouting about how awesome it is.
    And they're right, in a fully auto submachine gun it is awesome.
    In a full size rifle or carbine, not so much.

Plus, I like I said before...why pay more for something that isn't as lethal?

Although, I imagine it would be great fun to shoot.
    Just not very practical.

6. aubie515

aubie515

Ok noob...get your fact straight, as the things you have stated is pure BS. Ammo is less expensive when compared to similar 5.56 ammo.

Just because you cannot afford it doesn't make it a POS.

7. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Alaskapopo, is that you?:rofl:

8. space_weazel

space_weazel

[​IMG]
    Get it if you want to, it has 50 round mags and those are cool, super low recoil which is good for new shooters and that's cool, really accurate and that's cool. May or may not be a manstopper but I haven't shot any one with my guns yet, sure shot a lot of paper and soda cans though, however not the first gun I would grab for defense either.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  9. GreyEclipse

:rofl:See I told you, OP.

No, I can't afford it but I never did I say it was a POS either.
    I think I've found a fan boy.:whistling:

It's an interesting round, just not worth the hassle.

10. skud_dusty

skud_dusty

It's a firearm...how is it less lethal than any other firearm? Or is this some backwards-*** statement about stopping power? :upeyes:

People always talk down about the 5.7 but I've yet to find anyone willing to put their money where their mouth is and stand down range of one.

11. GreyEclipse

No, it's not about stopping power. That's another retarded argument.

A sledge hammer is more efficient than a basic hammer.
    A bullet is more lethal than a bow an arrow.

I wouldn't like getting shot by a .22lr either but I still stand a better chance against that than a .308.

I'm not saying that the round is pathetic, I'm saying that there are more practical means. It's his money, he asked my opinion and I gave it.
    End of story.

12. skud_dusty

skud_dusty

A bullet is NOT more lethal than a bow and arrow, that's the thing people don't get. Lethal means capable of causing death. A .22lr will kill you. A .50bmg won't make you any more dead than that .22lr.

More practical means for what? If he wants to vaporize ground hogs I don't see why the 5.7 would be a bad choice. We might as well just get rid of .22-250, .30-30, and the 17hmr/hm2 as they're all easily covered by more "practical" rounds.

13. GreyEclipse

You know what?

I want to apologize to anybody that I offended.
    I'd rather just not argue and let this thread stay on topic.

But I'll answer his question once more and I'll hope it doesn't offend this time.

My opinion-
    Interesting round, not worth the money IMO, wouldn't be my first go to defense weapon or SHTF weapon but a fun round nonetheless.

14. GreyEclipse

An arrow sticks in your body which stifles blood flow.
    A bullet doesn't. A 50 would certainly kill faster than a .22.

I thought he asked for HD, I might be wrong.
    If that's the case he should just buy a 300$ shotgun.

No because those are fun to shoot.
    Never said anyone should get rid of the 5.7.

This is all off topic.:dunno:

15. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

I bought one of the first ones made. I liked it cause it was unique. You can find the uppers for $650.00 sometimes. The only draw back I found was that it was heavy when loaded. But functioned well, it was accurate and had little felt recoil. I think the 10.5 inch SBR version would work well as a PDW. I would never choose this over my PS90, MP5 or my MP5K for PDW, though..............

16. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Cool for plinking, and I'm sure it would do the job for home defense if you had to use it. That said, if you're using something the size of an AR, why not shoot 5.56mm rounds of of it? It's been pretty well demonstrated that the 5.56mm doesn't over penetrate walls and humans nearly as much as most common handgun calibers, and will do quite a bit more damage in tissue than the 5.7mm or any service handgun caliber.

I'm with those who say that the 5.7mm is cool in a tiny gun, but not optimal in a normal rifle.

17. StarShip2100

StarShip2100 Futurist

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    OK, now slow down a little Hoss... The POTENTIAL for lethality is different for different arms. An example, both a 22 and an arrow carry the potential to be lethal, but it doesn’t mean it without a doubt WILL kill you. That depends on clothing, distance, shot placement and such. So, a 308 at 200 yards will be potentially more lethal then weapon then a 22 at the same distance. <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Now, let’s take the bow argument. If given a preference, would you rather be shot with a 22 long at 50 yards or a broad head arrow off of a compound bow? <o:p></o:p>

18. JBJ16

JBJ16

Thats what is great on GT. Even if you are a dyed-in-the-wool expert with tons of experience, if your post count is noob low, "they" never fail to mention that you are noob, "they" can and "they" will trash you.

And that is just plain retarded.
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :faint:

19. GreyEclipse

Depends on where I'm getting shot.
    Depending on where I was hit the arrow is much more crippling.
    Where as a .22 hole is small and can be easily sealed.
    But the bullet can ricochet off bones and into organs which could possibly cause more damage than the arrow could have.

I'm only assuming this. I've had interest in bows but no experience.
    And I certainly don't have experience being shot at.

I don't know exactly what you're getting at.
    I already apologized for what I said before and stated my opinion.
    I don't mind the questions but what are you getting at?

20. StoneDog

StoneDog

For someone on a strict budget I don't see how this would be on the short list of "must have" uppers or firearms. A dedicated .22 or .22 conversion kit would make more sense if all you want is a low recoil plinker or trainer. Now, if I had a lot more money to put into my collection I would certainly consider one for all of the points mentioned above.

EDIT: I had removed the following line but apparently GreyEclipse caught it right before. So, it goes back in... :)

And not to keep dragging this out, but lethal is a yes/no thing. Either it is lethal or it isn't.