AR build help.

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by willy1094, Nov 4, 2010.

1. willy1094

willy1094

Ok, so I have a RRA mid-length that I bought through a dealer. I love this rifle but now I am considering a build. I have a few questions to those of you with experience in the matter. How truly cost effective is to build your own AR? What are some good places to buy from? What should they different components cost (i.e. receiver, trigger group, BCG)? I am actually thinking of building a dedicated .22 but I'm not sure about that yet. This gun will be for plinking mostly. I really just kind of want a project and to have something that I have built. I will be in no rush and will pick up pieces as I can.
    Thanks for your help!

2. boomhower

boomhower

Considering you can get a dead nuts solid rifle from Spikes for $800 building yourself isn't going to save you much of anything.

But if you want a profile that Spikes doesn't offer then build your own can save you a few bucks.

LPK which include the trigger group run $60-$80 depeding on what you get.
    --Palmetto State Armory has a great lower package that includes a DD LPK, buffer assembly, Magpul trigger guard, and Magpul MOE grip, and MOE stock for $150.
    Lower from $80 on up, Spikes for $80 from aimsurplus is a great deal.
    BCG ~$130-$140 for quality BCM, DD, Spikes, etc.
    BCM is a great source for pretty much any profile upper you can think of. Most are $385 minus handguards and BCG.

3. willy1094

willy1094

Thanks for the reply. It seems like the cost savings is not all that great. So a build would just be for fun. Am I understanding that correctly? I guess if I want to go with a .22 then I should be looking into a Spikes upper and just use my RRA lower? Any downside to that?
    Thanks again!

4. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 NRA Benefactor

I built this for $760

M&A upper with 14.5'' barrel, flash suppressor permantly attached = 16'' legal with out SBR paperwork
    Stag Arms Lower
    DPMS parts kit and CAA Stock bought from Brownell's with dealer discount

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. FatBoy

FatBoy Millennium Member

The way to save money when doing a build, is buying stuff over time when they are on sale. Either way just buying an upper and then putting the lower together yourself will usually save you some cash as you don't have to pay the Fed tax on the whole gun. I will say that a lot of folks say they end up paying more for their self built AR, as they keep buying "upgraded" parts and in the end their $800 budget build ends up costing $2k.

My best deal was putting together a 16" AR10 (.308) for about $1350, including the ACOG that sits on top. Although, it still needs BUIS.

6. Messer

Messer

Except for a local dealer to transfer the lower, here is a good, not too expensive setup...

All from http://www.aimsurplus.com/

Spikes Stripped lower - $79.95

Spikes Lower Parts Kit - $63.60

DSA Buffer Tube Kit - $39.95

Spikes mid-length upper, with BCG, charging handle & heavy buffer - $479.95

Magpul MOE stock - $56.95

It's all "free shipping" and comes to $720.40 - you can get a cheaper stock and be under $700.00 if you want. (You can also put a very expensive stock on it, and go up a couple of hundred too)

It's not a huge savings, but it's all good quality parts.

Take care,
    Bob S.

7. bowtie454

bowtie454

Been there, done that.

8. Kona2004

Kona2004

I have/had six AR's, all a little different. The first two I bought complete. The other four I built the lowers and bought the uppers from BCM. I figured by the time I got done changing stocks/grips/triggers it would be cheaper for me to just do the lower myself.

9. willy1094

willy1094

Is the spikes st-22 upper on aimsurplus.com the same .22 upper I'm seeing everywhere else for about $100 more? That may be they way I want to go just because the cost of shooting it would be great! Then I could just slowly put together another lower as money and cost allows. Do you still need the buffer tube with this upper? Thanks for the great info and links!

Oh, and if I wanted to look into putting together a .308 in the future is there any difference in how I build the lower (beefed up components)?

10. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 NRA Benefactor

The .308 is a completely different lower, larger mag well. Other than that, it looks like you can use a lot of parts from an AR 15:
    Pistol grip

Ejector/Safety spring

Safety detent

Buttstock screw (A2)

Buttstock Assembly (A2)

Buttstock Assembly (A2)

Buttstock spacer

Detent spring

Detent (2 per rifle)

Bolt stop pin

Bolt stop plunger

Bolt stop spring

Mag catch button

Mag catch spring

Safety selector

Rifle receiver extension

Disconnector

Disconnector spring

Standard Trigger

Trigger spring

Hammer

Hammer spring

Hammer and trigger pin

Trigger guard pin

Trigger guard assembly (on some rifles - others have built in trigger guards)

Buffer detent

Buffer detent spring

Here is a good link with .308 AR FAQs: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=413443

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  11. Messer

Messer

It's a new, factory built, dedicated 22lr upper from Spikes Tactical. Is it the same as on other sites? I don't know, where have you looked? :supergrin:

Looking at Spikes web site, it looks like their M4 ST-22 upper with the optional (+$10.00) front sight post. That would be $559.00 plus shipping from Spikes.

If you are building or using this on a existing rifle, you'll need a buffer tube. If you are building a pistol from a stripped lower, you can plug the back of the receiver with something like this...

ST-22 "Pistol Plug"

I'm not affiliated with Aim Surplus, just a happy customer that likes some of their deals.

Can't help you on the .308 build - I haven't done that yet.

Take care,
    Bob S.

12. rhino673

rhino673

I've got a CMMG lower sitting in the closet that needs to be finished. I've been thinking about this kit because it will be my first AR build and everything will be in one package. http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=209

It seems like a good deal. Opinions?

BTW, this will be a rifle for my wife. She doesn't like my AK's because "they're just so ugly!" Bwahahaha. She has shot a friends M4 clone and likes it alot.

13. Messer

Messer

Looking on some of the AR specific forums, Model 1 Sales are not highly rated.

Comparing apples to apples - using the Model 1 sales chrome lined chamber & bore setup, theirs is $520.00 with a 1/9 twist barrel. They do not say if their upper uses M4 ramps, and I'd guess no since that's something most folks mention IF they have them. They also use a 4-position stock. (plus shipping costs)

With the Spikes uppers, you can get the carbine length, lightweight barrel like the Model 1 folks use (but with a 1/7 twist), a lowers parts kit, and a 6 position stock - with M4 ramps for $571.85. (free shipping on the upper from Aim, shipping charges on the LPK, & stock set)

The 1/7 twist barrel, the M4 ramps, and the better quality of Spikes over Model 1 Sales, makes the $52.00 difference a easy decision for me. And for the same price, I'd go with the mid-length gas system of the Spikes upper I mentioned above over the carbine length gas system, they are "softer" to shoot.

Hope this helps,
    Bob S.

14. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8

Depends on what you want. You can go cheap and build a KISS rifle and do pretty well. I didn't save a dime with my build. I built it exactly how I wanted it using quality parts. BCM upper, M&P lower with DD parts, Troy sights and forend. What I did get for my money was a very nice rifle with everything I wanted and nothing I didn't.