AR-15s Eligible for C&R FFL Transfers

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by SJ 40, Feb 15, 2017.

1. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

"I think its safe to say that many of our readers view the AR-15 as a thoroughly modern weapon system. Admittedly, it’s hard not to with various companies and innovations popping up all the time. Various improvements to the base design, newer materials, and modern CNC milling have given this actually antique platform a long lease on life."

"However, the ATF agrees that early AR-15s are now eligible for transfer under Curio and Relic status. Originally offered in 1964, Colt SP1 rifles are now considered C&R firearms due to their age. Per the ATF:"

To be recognized as C&R items, 478.11 specifies thatfirearms must fall within one of the following categories:

1. Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms;
    2. Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibitsfirearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and
    3. Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/02/15/ar-15s-eligible-cr-ffl-transfers/

So the AR becomes C&R pice ,I can see the prices rising on good ole SP 1's. SJ 40

2. Brass3

Brass3

That's very interesting, Do the ones you've built fall into that. I mean you bought the receiver so paper trail created for year of build. What do you think?

3. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

What does it being a C & R firearm do?

4. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

If you have a C&R license, they can be shipped to your front door.

SJ 40 likes this.
  5. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

So, why would the prices go up on C & R ARs?

6. MO Fugga

No idea. I didn't suggest that.

7. Brass3

Brass3

NO Angry..It's not a license.....Look at it this way..A car reaches what 20 MDL. yrs. old it becomes a classic you can get the Classic tag good for life. Well the C&R in our case is basicly the same. At 50 yrs. becomes a Curio & Relic. See #1. Just like the car lets say a 1960 Vett. you'd get a ton of $ for that. Right?:highfive:

8. Brass3

Brass3

Because it has become a classic or relic 50 yrs.old, associated with some historical period or event =$$$$$$:exercise::exercise:

9. MO Fugga

Right on. But I did have a license, it cost me $35 for 3 years. All the qualifying guns I wanted, no 4473.

SJ 40 likes this.
  10. Brass3

Brass3

Interesting go to #1 and pull up the link SJ has there I just did.

11. MO Fugga

You still have to have an 03 FFL to get these as a C&R. Anyone else can buy these guns, but you have to fill out 4473 or buy ftf.

12. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Seems as if the retro thing is all the rage these days,what with the proliferation of manufactures coming out with SP 1 copies.
    Had a SP 1 all those years ago and I'm not interested in reliving those years but that's just me. SJ 40

DJ Niner likes this.
  13. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Not a big deal. I have at least a dozen guns that are over 50 years old and it doesn't increase value. Like the SP1, the value is what they are, not how old. The only advantage is for C&R licence holders don't have to go through a ffl.

halfmoonclip and MO Fugga like this.
  14. ottomatic

ottomatic

I don't know where you get that information from. It either is or isn't C&R eligible. If it is then no FFL. It's that simple.

15. TK-421

TK-421

How about direct from the ATF?

To get a C&R firearm shipped to your door, you need to have a C&R license, which is a 03 FFL.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/f...ral-firearms-license-atf-form-531016/download

You don't need an FFL involved, because you become an FFL, and therefore must follow all the proper storage and documentation rules, and can be audited by the ATF whenever they so desire. Which is why I've never been all that interested in getting a C&R license.

halfmoonclip and MO Fugga like this.
  16. ottomatic

ottomatic

It seems that I stand corrected regarding the fact that having a C&R license makes you a type of FFL. After reading that link I could not find any reference to the BATF requiring any type of "proper storage" .

17. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

But you'd also get a ton of money for it in the years before it became a Classic.

Brass3 likes this.
  18. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

Fixed supply, slightly increased demand (people who have C&R FF Licenses and wanted an old SP-1 AR-15, but didn't want to pay another dealer the transfer/paperwork fees to get one).

19. Brass3

Brass3

You're right about that. I bought a '68 in '67 when I came back to the world. Looked in the window What the hell is that, Bought it nothing down cost $6000, payments $96. a mo. took out an allotment. Gas was expensive though .57 a gl. for what was then High Test:animlol:we were *****ing like hell over the gas prices, you remember back then? I sold it in '73 going back over the big pond to OKI. I got $12,500 for it from an owner of a dealership in NY.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    SJ 40 likes this.
  20. Brass3

Brass3

Why couldn't it be shipped to them with the license?