close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ar-15

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by bukn77, Nov 23, 2006.

1. bukn77

bukn77

What is the best "complete" book to buy for the AR-15?

2. wonderwolf

wonderwolf Yay college

Shooting techniques, reloading, working on one/gunsmithing...I have several AR books they each cover one specific area for the most part. are you planning on shooting high power/DCM with one or just go jack busting?

3. bukn77

bukn77

I have a comp colt hbar with several "goodies" done to it. The best upgrade was the jp enterprises trigger. I am building a rock river. I love to predator hunt with my ar. I'm looking for a good reading book on the ar. Many people tell me the black rifle is really good. I thought someone on here would have some good info for me. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one on here that owned an ar :rofl: Give me your list of reading knowledge and what each one applies to. Thanks in advance for any info.

4. wonderwolf

wonderwolf Yay college

The AR is a great target round and it performs well even at 1000 yards. Though for game of anysort bigger than a ground hog I would want to go with .308. A .223 lacks the knock down power as I have learned many MANY times. OK BOOKs

I have three here and two apply to the AR-15.

Black Magic:The Ultra accurate AR-15, By John feamster

The competitive AR-15:the mouse that roared,By Glen D. Zediker

The first one is older than the last. They both give good tips though non of the info in them are out of date. A TON of new things have come out since for the AR-15. I compete with mine throughout the high power season here in Ohio and spend a week and a half up at camp perry. These are the only 2 books I have on the AR-15 of the two I would get "competitive AR-15" for all around general knowledge on how everything works and how to put your AR to use in the best way remember guns are like tools in a tool box, you have to pick the right one for the job. "black magic" is more of a competition book along with loading info stuck in there for good measure its all about space guns and high dollar toys.

The third book is David tubbs book "high power rifle" this goes over competition shooting more in depth on the body postion, wind reading and mental status. this is only if your gonna be shooting highpower comps or longrange...or both. Give us a follow up with which one you picked and your opinion on it please. I have not yet read "black rifle" and I dont think I will pick it up unless I really am bored. I have enough reading to do already :thumbsup: My gun book collection is going to need another book case here before long.:thumbsup:

5. bukn77

bukn77

thanks wonderwolf for the info. Im a reader and I will let you know what I think of the black rifle if I buy it. As for the 308, 2 of my buddies just ordered rra 308s. I was going to order one also, but they arent even building them yet. After I get my new rra(in 223) done I will probably go ahead and build a ar10 from rra. :pepper:

6. wonderwolf

wonderwolf Yay college

As soon as Sarco gats their stuff together and sends me the 3 mauser actions I ordered in Sep. I'm gonna build (with some helP) a .308 target rifle, a 8mm hunting rifle and I'm not really sure what I wanna do with the 3rd action just yet but I'm sure it will be put to good use. I'm not that into gas guns but we had to use them when I was on the Ohio jr rifle team so Its what I know how to use for the most part. I very much prefer bolt guns over semi auto's.

If you want some other gunsmithing books look at "modern gunsmithing" by howe. It was printed prior to WW2. I have the 2 vol signed set from 1934 and have used it alot.

7. bukn77

bukn77

I also prefer bolt guns, but the ar is extremely accurate. Just got a 22-250 Howa with bull barrel for yote hunting and my partner is building me a 260 rem for my daughter. He is making a custom stock for us it has a shilen barrel and rem action. Its gonna be sweet!!!