AR-15 Pistol for Patrol Rifle

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by hudson69, Sep 7, 2020.

1. OdinIII

OdinIII

I know in my area that I’ve always been surprised what personal weapons they can get approved in the smaller departments.

Ohsheepdog, CAcop and billy_56081 like this.
  2. Gokyo

Gokyo

AR pistols are abusively loud to shoot. The concussion punches you in the face.

Maybe just get a folding stock?

I know it sounds crazy but maybe a Kel Tec SU16-C model? Very compact and lightweight.

I would not intentionally go to war with the KT. But it would be adequate for a rapid response bag.

3. hudson69

hudson69

Took it to the range. No issues other than the used red dot quit working and my sights were on, but very low. I am looking into getting a flash can of some kind as well as a good red dot.

billy_56081 likes this.
  4. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

On short barrel uppers, you will want to get a good flash hider. I had an 11.5 PSA upper on my issued M16. Without the Vortex hider there war a basketball flash in reduced light.

Not really sure why you would want to deal with the extra issues of an AR pistol when you can just get a 16" and call it done, especially in plain clothes.

5. Ohsheepdog

Ohsheepdog

I used a very similar set up to yours with an H-1, TRL1, MS3, and Claymore, but it had a 7" barrel. We're issued TAP 55gr. I wanted the shortest 5.56 I could carry and deploy while exiting the Tahoe.
    A 16" rifle with sling, RDS and light is hard enough to safely pull from a full-sized SUV like a Tahoe, much less an Explorer, Taurus, Charger...
    I stopped carrying my AR pistol when I convinced the chief to purchase properly equipped rifles. I just purchased another pistol, this one an 10.5". The extra noise and concussion wasn't worth saving 3".

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Newcop761 likes this.
  6. OdinIII

OdinIII

Anyone go from 10.5”-13.5” and then back to a 16”? I’ve been debating buying a pistol but wonder if I should just keep the 16” and be happy.

7. CAcop

CAcop

This popped up the other day and it reminded me of how easy it was to shoot an MP5 off a sling. And we had ours in 10mm. I could see a Scorpion or MPK or similar without a brace would work.

View: https://youtu.be/iN1p3d25DiE

pgg00 and billy_56081 like this.
  8. 11B101ABN

11B101ABN

negative. 2 point is the way.

9. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

This is a great option it’s what our motor officers use right now in the side bags of their motorcycle.Also the $200 stamps for SBRs seem to be moving quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pgg00 likes this.
  10. collim1

collim1

Meh.

Single point was all the rage when I was a rookie and it’s what I’m used to now.

Easy to toss on in a hurry and if no time it doesn’t get in the way.

I have several rifles setup with two point as well, but I like the one point for a grab and go patrol rifle.

11. hudson69

hudson69

The AR pistol now has a Vortex Strikefire red/green dot to go with the YHM rear sight. I have a single point sling attached (which I am used to). Currently I am looking for a (Mlok) light. I am going to wait on the flash-can. I want to see if it will be required after (if?) I am able to locate any Hornady SBR rounds or similar.

Ohsheepdog likes this.
  12. collim1

collim1

I have several of the Streamlight Pro-tac rail mounts.

Been running one of them since they debuted years ago. Brightness has increased a lot since then. Several hundred lumens. All are still going strong. The first one has been on my Colt I carry on patrol since I got it.

Comes with a tailcap switch and pressure pad at no extra cost. Pretty versatile setup. Lots of mounting options.

Streamlight 88066 ProTac Rail Mount HL-X Fixed Mount Ten Tap, 1,000 Lumens, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VTLLDH4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Zf4yFbM9T431W

Best value out there in WML’s IMO.

pgg00 likes this.
  13. Newcop761

Newcop761 CLM

14. Nutty Professor 188

Nutty Professor 188 Patrol Corporal

We got little SBRs with folding stocks for our motor guys.

My opinion will not be popular but I personally don't think they are a good idea.

The very short barrels reduce muzzle velocity to levels that don't seem that much better than .22 Magnum (not that that's bad, but not what you bargained for).
    They are unearthly loud with hellacious flash.
    Not that it matters, but for durability's sake, the gas systems run at really high port pressures which is pretty hard on bolt carriers.
    I don't think they are quite as reliable as full size or carbine size, but a good quality build would help mitigate this.

If you want a handgun that shoots relatively high velocity, small caliber bullets maybe a FN or Ruger 5.7 pistol.
    If you need the accuracy of a shoulder fired weapon, maybe a shoulder stock for a Glock (class 3, I know, but easy within the agency or department).

15. PennsWoods

PennsWoods

I had a 10.5 PSA pistol and just traded the upper for a 16" middy. I didn't find enough use for it without buying a suppressor for it.

If you do go with a 10.5 you'll probably want an H2 buffer at least. If you have a vault in the trunk that you were going to keep it in anyway, there isn't a whole ton of benefit over a 16". If you're talking active shooter in a public space you should have enough space to use a 16" barrel. In tight home spaces you can always put the stock over the shoulder to clear doorways.

My dept. allows barrels down to 10.5 but they must be SBR'd at the officer's expense. The dept rifles are heavy, 16" Colts with quad rails. I have a personally owned 16" with a lightweight MLOK rail which cuts down on weight tremendously compared to the dept Colts.

16. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Had a neighbor at my old house, had a beat up van(ish).

It had the back end cut off, with a truck bed welded on in its place. Ok, maybe better off buying a pickup, but to each his own.

The really weird part was the truck bed had a cap on it to cover the bed contents. Ok, maybe just should have bought a va.... oh, wait just a minute...

That’s what this reminds me of...

Randy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ray9898 likes this.
  17. OdinIII

OdinIII

Is there a PCC(s) that is/are clear winner(s) for duty use?