close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AR-15 Carbine Red dot vs. Compact Scope. Pease Help!!

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ajm_g22rtf, Feb 11, 2010.

1. ajm_g22rtf

ajm_g22rtf

Hey guys, I've been trying to decide what kind of sight should I put on my AR-15. I've been thinking about this ever since I purchase the AR-15. what would be a better choice between a red dot sight and tactical compact scope like 3-9x42 or something similar to that? I understand the advantages and disadvantages of both sight.. but I REALLY CAN'T DECIDE! I know it's nice to have a quick aim and able to aim with both eyes open but it's nice to have a precise shots at longer distance too. I currently own a Bushnell Trophy 1x32 Red/Green dot T-reticle sight. and it's really nice because of being able to aim quickly. I borrowed my Buddy's Tactical compact scope and mounted it to my AR, and I really like it too. so now I can't decide. I know I can own both red dot and compact scope but I really don't want to switch between the two sights back and fort. what do you guys think? please help me to decide.

Thanks,

2. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

The red dot will be much faster on target (more fun) but not as accurate (hitting what you are aiming at).

3. 1time

1time Lifetime Member

I have a red dot with quick detach magnifier on one rifle and a Millet 1-4 power scope on another one. If you are going cheap, I would go the 1-4 power scope route. It is easier to use as you don't have to take anything off/put anything back on to switch. I don't think any scope is as reliable as an Aimpoint so if it is for serious use that would be my advice. A new trend that I have not tried yet is to use a decent power scope and then put a smaller red dot sight on an canted mount. Everyone that has used this set up swears by it. I think I am going to try this on my next rifle.

In the $ball park of what you are using I would go with the Millet DMS. It is a 1-4 scope with a lighted dot inside a circle (think eotech).

4. vafish

vafish

Get a 1-4X scope.

Set down to 1X it is almost the equal of a red dot for speed. Set to 4X it can handle shots out to 300 or 400 yards easily.

5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Personally I have scopes on my two most accurate AR's and Red Dots on two Bushmaster (M4) that are considered HD guns.

I like the Red Dots out to 100 yards and favor the scopes for shooting 100 yard groups or longer distance.

In all I'd say I use about 6 Red Dot sights to 1 scope.

Even with a (good) inexpensive Red Dot sight the AR and other guns can be shot fairly accurately.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Well if your just going to plink around at cans then a red dot

7. vafish

vafish

Just put a scope and a red dot on your AR15. Get whatever power scope you want then mount one of the micro red dots on top or side of it. Very common in the 3 gun shooting matches.

A Trigicon like this is a very expensive version of the solution, but there are other methods of mounting a red dot on, alongside or at a 45 degree angle to your scope.

[​IMG]

Or there is another solution.

Buy another AR15. That way you can have one with a red dot and one with a scope.