Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
65,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning up my gun room and found this old target from a couple of years ago. This was when I took my DPMS/CMT AR out to test a load I was working on for service rifle competition - it's the first 3 rounds fired to test the load, with the gun in a Lead Sled. Distance was 100 yards. That's pretty hard accuracy to beat.

Funny thing is, I was trying to sell the DPMS upper on Glock Talk back then, maybe before this target, and the only potential buyer wanted accruacy guarantees, which is impossible with some unknown shooter and load.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
What optic were you using or was it open sights?

·
NRA Life Member
65,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What optic were you using or was it open sights?
I think I put an old Bushnell 3x9 scope on with a carry handle mount, since I was testing the load for accuracy. I doubt my aim would have been that consistent with iron sights.

·
Ol 8 fingers ;)
2,712 Posts
Precision, not accuracy.

If it were good accuracy, the "x" would be gone.

There *IS* a difference.

As for the precision level of an AR15, even with an acog 4x unit, I have been able to maintain 1/2 of my relay of shots into the x ring at 600 yards. The x ring was 6" in diameter at that time.

If I would have had a better scope on there such as a 32x nightforce or equivalent, I suspect I would not have had a single miss - the precision capability of a match grade AR15 rifle system using 77gr. black hills would be < 1/2 MOA, which is pretty good for a rotating bolt action rifle.

The target is not surprising to those who have had some time around the platform.

Edited to add that those 69gr. sierra loads (the ones I purchased were canned heat from GA arms) had a similar level of precision from a doublestar star-15 I sold last year.

I was cleaning up my gun room and found this old target from a couple of years ago. This was when I took my DPMS/CMT AR out to test a load I was working on for service rifle competition - it's the first 3 rounds fired to test the load, with the gun in a Lead Sled. Distance was 100 yards. That's pretty hard accuracy to beat.

Funny thing is, I was trying to sell the DPMS upper on Glock Talk back then, maybe before this target, and the only potential buyer wanted accruacy guarantees, which is impossible with some unknown shooter and load.

·
NRA Patron Life Member
13,514 Posts
Nice shooting, Bren!!!!

ARs are capable of really good accuracy.

Here's a group from my AR-HBAR. (Colt Sporter Match HBAR - "Pre-Ban")
23.0 gr of H-335. Sierra 69 gr BTHP MatchKing. Winchester case. Federal 205M primer.
3 shots. Fired from a "Bulls Bag". 100 yards. Open sights.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Serious competitors often shoot "clean" (all 10's) targets with AR's at 200, 300 and 600 yards. I had to see it to believe it. X's win the match.

·
****** Viejo
29,384 Posts
I don't understand.Every time I see a nice tight group it missed the coin by like half an inch.tom.:dunno:

JK.tom.:supergrin::rofl:

·
NRA Patron Life Member
13,514 Posts
I don't understand.Every time I see a nice tight group it missed the coin by like half an inch.tom.:dunno:

JK.tom.:supergrin::rofl:

Now THAT's funny!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
PRO 2A
2,154 Posts
Here you go. A "CHEAP" DPMS shooting clay pigeons at 1000yds. Show me how much better the twice as expensive AR rifle can do.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=516145

I don't think you actually read that link. Go ahead, take a read.

BTW.. just so everyone with a DPMS can untwist their panties... I don't have a problem with someone else owning a DPMS, the thing about choice is... you are free to make one.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I don't think you actually read that link. Go ahead, take a read.

I did read it. It has a new barrel which was replaced by DPMS, not unusual, not every gun from any manufacture is perfect (how many glocks go back for repair?). And yes, its a 308, but its still a DPMS AR rifle.

I would be pissed if I spent $2500 on a AR that couldn't compete (or do the same) as a $1250 AR rifle.

·
PRO 2A
2,154 Posts
I did read it. It has a new barrel which was replaced by DPMS, not unusual, not every gun from any manufacture is perfect (how many glocks go back for repair?). And yes, its a 308, but its still a DPMS AR rifle.

I would be pissed if I spent $2500 on a AR that couldn't compete with a $1250 AR rifle.
I would as well.

I was referring to the groups at 200 yds, what is so special about that? Oh and let's be real here they were shooting at clay pigeons... not hitting them.

Anyway, back on topic.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Nice groups! I only get 0.6" groups out of my Bushmaster Varminter shooting Black Hills 68 grain match Blue Box at 100 meters. The rifle shoots better than I do.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts