close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Aquarium question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Smashy, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Smashy

Smashy

I don't know much about aquariums, just read a few beginner's books in the past. I'm thinking about putting one together soon, so I was checking out the offerings at a local pet shop. I was admiring the glowlight tetras when I noticed the info card said to keep them in odd-numbered groups of 5 or more. Why an odd-numbered group?

The shop employees were busy with other customers and I didn't have time to hang around any longer, so I wasn't able to ask about it before I left. I looked it up in a species book, and several sites I googled. Most say to keep them in a group of 4 or more, a few say 5 or more, but none say they need to be kept in an odd-numbered group.

2. Adjuster

Adjuster

I have never heard that myself. I was an aquarium enthusiast back in the day. I can only guess it is some sort of schooling trait.

3. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

I don't think it is the odd number thing as much as the amount of the beggining number. Because they are a schooling fish, you need to keep them in groups to be comfortable and thrive. Some recomend 4, some 5, but as long as you have that many or more it really dosen't matter.

4. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

If you have a big enough tank, look into African cichlids, that's what I am keeping now and they are great.

5. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I prefer Bosemani Rainbows myself. To the OP: 5 is a minimum number for a school of fish. It sets up a pecking order and prevents any one fish from being targeted too much. With some fish you have 2 of them and they will harrass each other until one dies, they're trying to set up territory. If you add a third fish then there are now 3 to harass instead of 2 and it lessens the attention each fish gets.

6. jeager

jeager

Minimum schooling number,
    pleasing to the eye
    (trees and shrubs are planted in odd numbers to mimick natural setting)
    perhaps a pheromone thing-one sex dominant in the school(?)

7. mymini40

mymini40

Cichlids are very territorial though.

8. sourdough44

sourdough44

2 bluegill & a baitfish minnow here. I did buy an alge eater though. The kids kinda like it. The wife threatens to eat the larger bluegill because he's so mean to the others.

9. Smashy

Smashy

That makes sense regarding a minimum number (although most sources I've checked say 4 or more), but it doesn't explain why it needs to be an odd-numbered group if it's over 5. Maybe they just flubbed it and need to re-word that info card.

10. DaveA

DaveA

As someone else said, it's because they like to school together and if you don't have that many they'll get stressed and you'll start losing them. Why an odd number, I can't say. I've had tanks all my life and never ran into that.

11. Adjuster

Adjuster

There are a few Cichlids you can keep with other aquarium fish. In general I think Cichlids are territorial with other Cichlids. I never had a problem with one Cichlid mixed in with my Tetras, Swords, Mollies, Betas etc.

12. Adjuster

Adjuster

Now if you want to hear about an aquarium feeding frenzy gone bad check this out. I had a small salt water a few clowns, yellow tangs, damsels, anemone, crabs and clams. I was at the store and saw the most gentle, docile and darned cute chocolate star fish. This thing couldn't hurt anyone it was so passive and well 'it was a starfish'. Not a moray eel or barracuda. Boy was I wrong. It attacked and ate the anemones first I guess because they were soft and couldn't move. It then went on to the clams in what must have been a horrific experience for the poor little guys. The star fish would latch on with its arms and just slowly apply pressure over days to open the shell until the clam couldn't take it anymore and gave up to be eaten. The crabs and fish survived because they could get out of the way a little faster. I flushed the starfish.

13. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

The odd fish out is the tie breaker in a vote, the ref in a game and the boss all the other times! :supergrin:

14. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

Odd or even it shouldn't matter as long as you have at least 4 or more.

15. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

16. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

That reminds me, with rainbowfish you have to be careful at feeding time. Mine have set a record, they nailed me with a splash at 23 inches from the tank. I have timed it, from the time the first flake hits the water I have 1.8 seconds to get the lid down or they splash me.

17. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

:rofl:

:number1:

18. loki993

loki993

Only problem with cichlids, at least Africans, is you cant have other fish with them.

You've never done that with Africans have you? I was under the impression that you couldn't do that and that it would be bad if you did.

I think it would be cool to have a very large tank, 55, 75 something like that with a large number of tetras or other schooling fish, just to watch them swim around together.

19. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

I use to be really big into Red Belly Piranhas and I learned that a big tank keeps aggressive fish somewhat from fighting each other and allows them to get very big. I had a 75 gallon tank with 5 Red Bellies and they got really huge:wavey:

20. blkpag1

blkpag1

I used to have an electric catfish in a 125 and he would kill everything! Big tank theory did not help with this.:shocked: