close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Aquaria Junkies! Let's Talk Filters! *w/ pics*

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by geofri, Jan 24, 2010.

1. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

I have a job on campus taking care of the fish lab, and I just got permission to buy new filters for all the tanks. The current power filters are old and losing power.

What is your favorite fresh water filter?

My supervisor generally uses thatpetplace.com for his supplies, but if i can find stuff cheaper elsewhere im sure that will score me some bonus points.

Right now we just have the good ol' whisper filters.

I don't like using the filters that require you to buy special inserts every time to change the media. (unless you are aware of higher performance by them) right now I just refill the charcoal bags, put new "poly fill" and they are good to go.

We have two 100gal(ish?) tanks, a 55, and a bunch of 10's and 20's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (on a side note, anyone know what kind of fish on the left is? It came in with the shipment of convicts and no one here knows what he is.. )

Thanks!

2. geofri

Also,
    If you know your Cichlids feel free to share any tips/criticisms, I don't really know what i'm doing here. Most of my fish husbandry is based on an obsession with fancy goldfish 8 years ago. :whistling:...

3. Smashy

Smashy

I have no idea, but that sentence made me :rofl:

4. keltic

keltic

Looks like a Jack Dempsy

5. KillStick

KillStick

Looks like what we call a sun fish around here

6. geofri

7. rahrah12

rahrah12

Looks like a jack dempsey...

8. geofri

Cool! Thanks guys!

9. rahrah12

rahrah12

filters I currently use on my 75 gal...Eheim 2026 I believe is the model number and an Emperor 400...I keep 3 Uaru's in it at the moment and they have done well...one lays eggs...and then eats them a few days later...

I guess rule of thumb is 10x gph

10. anyplainjoe

anyplainjoe Nobody special.

Marineland all the way. The Emperor power filters or Magnums - with with Bio-wheel should do the trick.

11. G19T

G19T

Yea those are nice. Be careful you dont get something too powerful. The africans cant take a strong current.

12. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

I have sworn by the Emperor brand for close to 10 years now and I have never been let down. I also used to manage a pet store and almost everyone bought Emperor's from us. Not once was one returned. The people who didn't buy them returned the others and took my advice the second time.

For the 100's you'll need 2 Emp 400's to get good filtering throughout the tank. On the 55's just one 400 should be fine unless you have a large fish load or fish that are known for high amounts of waste like goldfish.

The emperor's do have proprietary filters. But due to the design you can use your own media instead. The 400's have 4 filter slots 2 on each side. Plus they come with an empty filter that opens so you could put whatever you want in it.

13. anyplainjoe

anyplainjoe Nobody special.

Oh, if you get a Marineland which uses the blue filters, you can cut them open at the top, remove the old carbon and replace it with new (cheaper from a bulk source).

14. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Another vote for Marineland, I like the canister filters for anything over 20g though.

And yeah, it's a Jack.

15. rahrah12

rahrah12

With the Emperor you can also surround the gray cartridge that comes with it with blue filter netting and just switch the carbon out and rinse the netting every couple of weeks...

16. Im Dr Cheeks

Im Dr Cheeks

I have used the RENA XP canister filters for years at my store, reliable, strong water flow, minimal parts to break and you can use cheap cut-to-fit filter pads... marineland backpack filters would be a good choice as well. I would avoid any Hagen brand filter (aquaclear and fluval) as these are the bottom end products. Also , avoid eheim filters as there parts distribution center is in canada and takes FOREVER to get replacement parts. any other questions, let me know. (I manage an aquarium in Sacramento).:wavey:

17. PA86

PA86

I'm a terrarium man myself.

Would like to setup a nice paludarium however with native species.

18. Glock-N-Load

Glock-N-Load

I have a 55 gal and I use a Magnum 350 BIO-Pro. I alternate between the micron cartridge and the media container. I like the micron cartridge and have 2 on hand. When I change out the cartridge I put the old one in a mixture of bleach and water in a gallon jar over night. This will clean the cartridge like new. I've had the cartridges for 5 or 6 years and see no need to buy new. The media container uses a foam sleeve that slips over the carbon container. I clean the sleeve the same way I clean the micron cartridge. The only real expenditure with it is in new carbon. The water lines have quick disconect couplings that make it easy to service. I'm sure all canister filters have something similar.

Do some research! It's kind of like the Ford-Chevy debate.

I love cichlids! those are some great looking Firemouths! They are great parents! The Firemouth is a mouth brooder. Fascinating to watch!

My tank isn't set up now. My job can keep me from home for months at a time. I can't depend on anyone here giving it the attention it needs. It'll just have to wait until all that "Hope and Change" catches up with me!

19. geofri

Best of both worlds :thumbsup:

Have yet to attempt setting one up though..

20. SVTPT92

SVTPT92

Hey there,

I love fish threads! I have kept fish for years, and currently am operating about 45 of them... and I'm in the process of drilling and adding more. I'm getting away from my 100+ gal tanks and going to 15/20L/29's and 75s... as I'm breeding mostly freshwater inverts now (shrimp/crayfish). I used to keep only Tanganyikan Cichlids.. I can assure you in the picture it is a jack dempsey.

Now as far as filters.. I find the MOST effective filters around are sponge filters.. not the BEST looking but definitely the most efficient. Don't get me wrong, I love my big Fluvals, Emperor 400s, and wet/dry filters, but honestly, running some airline tubing and a strong pump works just as well. I'll take this to another step as well... if you check out this guy's website, it shows you the European style sponge filters: (http://www.swisstropicals.com/Poret Filter Foam.html). If you don't go with those, I'd go with Hydrosponge filters from Jehmco.com or Kensfish.com. However, I really dig the idea of the Poret Foam tank dividers (ESPECIALLY if you're keeping meanass cichlids like convicts!) as you'll want to divide them.. and this is an efficient way plus it filters.

I agree that there is a lot of discussion of whats the best way to handle fish... but seriously, you have to figure that if the filter you're using REQUIRES you to buy new carbon or whatever... it's just a ploy to get you to spend money. I've been to people's houses who have 300 aquariums and there is ABSOLUTELY NO WATER TREATMENT at all.. no dechlor, nor carbon, etc. IMHO carbon should only be used to remove contaminants and medication.

If you want to check out what I keep nowadays check out my dying website: www.perfectinverts.com my buddy who hosts my site killed my forum so basically it's kinda dead until we figure out a solution.