close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Aprilia Attack!!! They're everywhere!!!

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by fnfalman, Jun 1, 2006.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

First there were the RVX and the SVX hitting the dirt and supermoto scene. And now the flat track isn't safe any more either.

The Ape Man Striketh again!!!

http://www.apriliausa.com/magazine_dettaglio.asp?id=382

Following recent successful tests aboard their latest generation AMA Flattrack machine, Aprilia USA is proud to announce that Lloyd Brother Motorsports, Inc will field Aprilia V990-powered machines in the 2006 AMA Flattrack Season. The primary rider for the team will be Henry Wiles of Blanchard, Michigan.

“Flattrack is a classic racing series in the US,” says Mike Kull, Vice President of Marketing for Aprilia USA, “To see Aprilia, a brand with a long established racing tradition, fight for the championship will be extremely exciting. We encourage all Aprilia fans to attend the races and cheer on their team."

“We are very happy to support the Lloyd Brothers in their continuing efforts towards success in the AMA Flattrack Championship,” Says Robert Pandya, Aprilia USA Off-Road Product Manager. “The Lloyd Brothers are truly the spirit of the sport and have challenged conventional and new Flattrack machines with their design.”

Henry Wiles will pilot the machine. “From the first time I tested the bike I knew that David and Michael were on to something – the power is great, but the control is phenomenal. It’s cool to be on a different machine from the rest of the field, and I know that the fans appreciate the effort,” says Wiles.

The Aprilia USA / Lloyd Brothers Motorsports will be touring the AMA Half and full-mile circuits totaling thirteen events this season. The team will be supported by the Aprilia USA rig at all Mile events and select half mile events. Product sponsors already signed on are Komodo Leathers, Leo Vince Exhaust systems K&N Filters, Motion Pro Tools and Cables, and Spectro Oils. Additional sponsors are being sought for what will surely be one of the most interesting teams in the 2006 AMA Flattrack season.

The schedule for the season can be viewed at www.amaflattrack .com. those interested in Flattrack racing can learn more about the Lloyd Brothers effort at www.flattrack.com, a web presence that has been very supportive of the effort since its beginning.

2. Compy

Compy CompensateWhat?

We're supposed to get excited because Aprillia finally has their sh!t together? The other makers have been trading 1st place titles in more events than Aprillia can count. What took them so long?

3. norton

norton

AMA flattrack has long needed additional competition to H.D.
    Honda had a go, and saw some success with the likes of Bubba Shobert, Ricky Graham and others.
    Suzuki and Yamaha made feeble attempts, but met with little success.
    Back in the 50's and 60's Triumph, BSA and Norton all met with some success on the dirt tracks.
    Springfield Illinois, Lima Ohio are tracks and AMA events I visit.
    I miss the old Indy mile, used to be run in conjunction with the State Fair, but it fizzled out several years ago.
    Glad to see Aprilla have a go at it.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It's because Aprilia almost went teats up two years ago and now they're back with a vengeance. They also never dabbled into offroading either...until now.

5. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

The problem is, every time someone other than HD starts winning regularly the AMA steps in with new rules to handicap them. Why spend several hundred thousand dollars developing a winning bike only to have it outlawed because a 50 year old pushrod V-twin can't keep up with you?

6. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Yup, remeber the TL1000 and VTR dirt-trakcers.

I remeber when Nicky Hayden won the Peoria TT with a CRF450 powered bike. He was legally allowed to bore it, but felt (rightly so) that it wasn't necissary.

A 450 single beating a 750 V-twin. :supergrin:

7. 2cats

2cats Millennium Member

I hope the race team can wait months for parts.

8. norton

norton

I haven't attended a TT race but, if H.D. actually using the 750 twin for it? Or is it the single cylinder Rotax?

9. norton

norton

The AMA isn't blind to the facts. Of the numerous flat track races I have attended, I would estimate at least 8 out of 10 spectator bikes ridden to the tracks are H.D's. Those folks don't pay to see anything other then H.D's win.
    I agree that the rules are changed to keep the 750cc Harley in the winners circle.
    I missed what was probably the wildest flat track race of all times, at the Indy fairgrounds. Kenny Roberts, daddy of Curtis and Ken, was a factory Yamaha rider at the time. He rode a TZ 750 powered 2 stroke, and won the race. Right after that, the AMA changed the rules and vitrually eliminated the TZ from competition. Kenny later said the bike was an evil handler, but screamed down the long front and back straight aways.

10. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

That bike is at the AMA museum. My dad rode there and has a pic of it. A 750cc two-stroke I4 dirt tracker, that thing is nuts. I heard it scared the crap out of Kenny.