close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Applying to be a Firefighter, some ?s

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by Kevin108, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

Got my application in for Firefighter I. I've got a copy of the study guide as well. The written test doesn't intimidate me at all. Any ideas what to expect from the agility test or does the standard from city to city just vary too much?

2. jbcarr25

jbcarr25

It can vary from department to department, it depends on whether it is the standardized CPAT (Candidate Physical Ability Test) or not. The link below gives you a good description of this test:

http://www.tmcc.edu/fireacademy/cpat.asp

From a person who just went thru the entire process with my department, the best advice I can give is to start working out if you haven't already. You need to have a good balance of muscular strength, muscular endurance, and cardio endurance. And most of all DO NOT underestimate this test!!! It will kick your *** if you do. When you take it, move quickly but pace yourself as best you can. As you go thru each station, do not stop and rest, again you need to pace yourself so that you can continue to move thru without stopping to catch your breath or whatever, once u stop your done.

3. Kevin108

I am very strong, just not entirely sure of my endurance. I got setup to start running a few months ago but then it got colder than I wanted to run in. The med I take for arthritis makes me more succeptible to infection and running in cold weather has always seemed to make me sick. It sounds bad but if I didn't tell you I had it, you'd never know. Enbrel is some amazing stuff and recent X-rays show that in the past 3 years that I've been on Enbrel I haven't gotten any worse.

I've worked as a carpenter (more of a framer than a cabinet maker) since 99 so arm strength, back strength, grip, balance, and flexibility are top notch. I've also started doing things at work such as loading things by hand and carrying things further to build myself up even more.

I will be restarting a diet and supplement regimen this week that proved very effective last summer when I was building endurance for riding my ATV.

I guess in the end it's about how bad you want it. I'm really looking forward to it!

4. midnitemarauder

midnitemarauder

Kevin-

Good luck getting on the job. It sounds like you'll be fine for the exercises with the CPAT. The thing that I would tell you to focus on that trips up most guys that are generally strong and inshape...the stairclimber. It sounds really easy, but I've seen many of seemingly strong guys lose it on the stairclimber. If you get a chance...practice...with the steps, it's all about getting a rhythm going. Good Luck bro.

Also, what plug do you use on your glock? I need to grab one and there are a number of them out in the marketplace.

Thanks!

5. Kevin108

It's a Lone Wolf plug in the 17 and a Jentra plug in the 26.

I got my test results back today:
    Reading - 92
    Math - 96
    Listening - 90
    Overall - 93

Out of 210 applicants:
    48 failed
    21 (including me) had a 93 or higher

Next weekend is the practice agility test.
    The week after that is the real deal.

6. CSNeoM4A1

CSNeoM4A1

I just took the CPAT.
    In my opinion, muscular strength is overrated. I have superior cardio endurance when compared to my muscular strength, and I made it throught the CPAT in 8:28. Granted more strength certainly helps, but not on the stairs or dummy drag. I am only 150 lbs FYI.

7. Kevin108

Cardio is where it's at for these tests, for sure.

I took the practive agility test this morning. First one out so I made mechanical mistakes in the way I did things but I was worried we'd get rained out and I really wanted to see how I did. 4:25 walking. I think I can shave it to 4 rushing some and now having altered my technique for the Kaiser sled. You have 6 minutes all together so even if I don't change a thing, I'm golden.

8. ironmind

ironmind

CPAT is a joke. The only people who have a problem is the little spinner chicks who think "affirmative action"(-which doesn't exist-but it does in the fire service...) entitles them to jobs in the fire service. These little fluff bunnies who want to play dress-up fireman can have difficulty in the step-mill due to the added weight. Any moderately strong person, male or female, in medeocre condition should pass CPAT with a raging hangover and sandbags tied to their feet.

Individual department test vary from place to place and some are actually quite challenging so as with every step of the testing process- prepare yourself to a T. Remember, there is alot of competition for these positions so take everything seriously and study your *** off even when there are no tests scheduled. 93% won't cut it out here. Alot of departments give 10% to vets automatically so you need to be getting 98's or higher if you can. Good luck. Hard work and sacrifice now will reward itself with the best job in the world sooner than later.

9. Kevin108

Going through some old threads tonight... I applied again year before last. Got one of the highest scores for the written test and one of the fastest times for the physical agility test. Got all dressed up, headed to the interview and it hit me clear as day that I'm exactly where I need to be doing what I want to do. I went past my parents' place so they could see me dressed up, then I came home.