GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any dealings or info with dealing with any extended warranty service? Looking at a new Whirlpool fridge, and Lowes and BestBuy both have the fridge for the same price. Both have extended warranty options, which with fridges these days seems needed, but I was curious if anyone has good/back luck with either?
There is also third party like Upsie that the price is right on. The Lowes/Bestbuy seem to give a spoiled food credit which sounds good in theory.
Any other reccomendations?

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
My brother had a 20 year old fridge and bought a new one at HD.

It broke within a year. Look online at the horror stories.

My Kitchen Aide is 11 years old. I'll keep fixing it until it completely dies.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Bought a new oven from Lowes and bought the 5 yr. plan. Paid for 3 years and got 2 more free. Have had 2 service calls, one on the oven and one on the stove top. No money out of pocket for either call. Considering parts and time, I'm sure each call was well above a $100. I am somewhat concerned that I have had to have 2 calls and the oven is barely 3 years old.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Sears (are they still in business?) used to offer warranties on any appliance, no matter where you bought it, no matter when you bought it.

I was skeptical but,

My fridge died.

I bought the Sears warranty.

Called for service, not once but twice.

Had I needed to call a third time, they would have replaced it. But Alas, the second call was the charm and 8-9 years later, it's still running.

I felt a little wrong, but having read over their policy, it was all on the up and up.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
There is a reason that places push extended warranties - esp 3rd party warranties. They are money makers. Skip them.

Older refrigerators are often pretty easy to fix. Many of them are the same thing re-branded. YouTube is your friend and parts are often inexpensive.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
My neighbor finally replaced her washer and dryer made in 1970.

Think China has that kind of quality?

Grandma gave me her 60 year old Sunbeam mixer. Works fine.

Tools I inherited from the 50s and 60 in perfect condition no rust.

I scour garage sales, if it's older than 10-15 years its worth it.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Had a Samsung microwave that lasted 11 years and it finally gave up

I buy a new Whirlpool and it breaks in the first month so I pull it all apart and fix it, then three years old it's broken for good.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Normally if you pay with your VISA that automatically add 1 year to your warranties. So if labor is a year, and parts two years. It become 2, and 3 years.

Rub is if you have to use extended warranty. You need couple of things, save original warranty, bill from fix, or repair, and last copy of your original purchase receipt showing Visa Number.

Then you get a form to fill out from Visa Extended Warranty, mail with copy's of stuff you need, and Visa sends check for the cover stuff in less then 20-30 days after receipt.

We used it on a Lap Top that had two year battery warranty, battery went out, did the replacement thing. Save us like $150.00 for battery & replacement.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I buy appliances at Costco. If you pay with the Costco visa you get an extended warranty, free delivery, install and haul away.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have an expensive POS Samsung that's a continual pain in my life. It sucks and is not fixable, so over it and it's gotta go! But with all the computers and bs in fridges these days it seems like it could be worthwhile. The Lowes is 135 for 3 years, BB is 159. Both offer $300 towards food spoilage events too.

·
Premium Member
10,551 Posts
For a refrigerator, it's best to get that extended warranty.

Some companies charge $140 just for the service call...and some of those computer boards can run $200-400. Samsung or LG? Probably have 2 or 3 computer boards. Refrigerant (sealed system) leak? Repairs start at $625 and go up from there. Icemaker needs replacing? Probably close to $300 parts and labor.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts

20 years old, that’s just a rookie. I have a Westinghouse upright freezer my parent bought in 1968. Built before frost free was invented. Every time I unplug it to defrost I think it’s gonna die, but damned if that thing kicks right over. All original parts, never been serviced. Now that’s WELL built

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
20 years old, that’s just a rookie. I have a Westinghouse upright freezer my parent bought in 1968. Built before frost free was invented. Every time I unplug it to defrost I think it’s gonna die, but damned if that thing kicks right over. All original parts, never been serviced. Now that’s WELL built
"Made in 'Merica"

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well it looks like Costco is it. For 20 bucks more they had an upgraded Whirlpool model that was 275 more at Lowes/BestBuy and the better included warranty standard and had extended out to 5 for 119 (Which was 349 at bestbuy to get to 5 years!). Add 2 years tacked onto the end with my credit card and in theory there is 7 years coverage so hopefully protected from the crappy manufacturing these days.
I had skipped checking Costco after looking previously with no deals and the costco's here only ever have samsung and lg's out on display. Thanks for the feedback all!

·
Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
116,598 Posts
Your fridge should know what you are running out of and prepare shopping lists. :eat:

Are you sure the light goes out when you shut the door?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The horror stories from seemingly everyone with newish fridges is pretty discouraging. What is astonishing is they still sell this same insanely terrible samsung that that they've been selling for some 6+ years. There is just so little way to even know, people leave glowing reviews 1 week after buying and never go back to a review site again even when it breaks so everything looks good. Who knows if manufacturers ever incorporate real changes or when over the years.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts