"Apple sued over $86 iPhone battery"

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by MB-G26, Aug 1, 2007.

1. MB-G26

MB-G26 Extraneous Lifetime Member

http://www.azcentral.com/business/consumer/articles/0731biz-iphonebattery31-ON.html

2. Floodster

Floodster Guest

That's why you don't be an unpaid beta tester and rush out to buy the first of everything. :upeyes:

3. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

What is it with Apple and making their batteries difficult to swap? They did the same thing with the iPods if I recall correctly.

4. c6601a

c6601a

Four reasons:

1) There is money to be saved if you do not have to make the battery field replaceable. To make a battery replaceable the battery has to have a case, connectors and protection circuits, all of which increase the replacible bettery's cost. The phone has to have connectors, an easilly removeable cover that must be easy and fool proof, additional circuits to prevent screwups by the user etc. There is no doubt that they are saving the consumers money in the initial sale price by not making the battery removeable.

2) By having the battery internal, they can eliminate most of the protection circuits that are required for replaceable batteries. Protection circuits use up energy which could otherwise be used by the device. Removing them improves the battery life and hence the product quality.

3) By having so much control over the battery, they are increasing the reliability of the product. A person who puts in a cheap or incorrect battery and then complains about the bad performance hurts Apple's reputition. They have every right to protect their reputation.

4) And last but maybe most importantly, there is money to be made in replacement batteries. Lots of money if you do not have to worry about competition.

In the end, Apple can actually make a case that they are saving the consumers money by making the batteries internal. The argument will use the cost reduction in the initial cost, increased performance and balance that with the average number of times betteries will be replaced over the lifetime of the product. I will not be surprised if the average is less than 1 because most people I know that bought early iPods have long since upgraded, some even twice. I am sure Apple thought all of this through and added the cost of defending the lawsuit in the budget.