close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Apple NOW a bigger part of MIcrosoft's Problem?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JMag, Jan 14, 2006.

1. JMag

JMag

Per Chris Pirello, Microsoft now faces a big threat from Apple running with Intel procs. He lays out an interestng scenario worth reading, IMO. Here 'tis...

"Fast forward two years from now. Vista has been released and is already looking stale. Apple announces "Eleven," with even more media-centric applications that further enhance your digital lifestyle. You still don't care about OS X because it's off your radar and completely out of your reach. Then, Steve Jobs makes the announcement of the century: OS X is now pre-installed along with Windows Vista on all Dell machines. Woah. In a heartbeat, the industry changes. There's no longer "Macs" and "PCs" - there's just a computer. Benchmarks are finally made relevant, with the ability to try software and tasks on one OS - then reboot and try them on another. Linux is completely out of the picture as a desktop operating system, further marginalized by OS X's FreeBSD stable underpinnings. Consumers purchase Dells to experience both leading OSes first-hand. Many ultimately switch to Apple-only hardware, and others stick with what seems familiar. It's not completely out of the question, provided Apple doesn't do something stupid again. Their arrogance continues with campaigns that claim: "What's an Intel chip doing in a Mac? A whole lot more than it's ever done in a PC." That's a load of bull, but my crystal ball prediction is still quite possible. Watch it happen."

2. Dandapani

Dandapani

Uh, no. Why would I pay either Steve or Bill for an OS that I get for free by downloading over the Internet? I don't buy Dell Computers (or any new computers), but build my own from scratch...

3. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

As Linux gets easier to use, and places like Wal-Mart offer prefab Linux machines, it'll get bigger, not smaller.

Unless Apple seriously changes their no-upgrade, monster profit business model, they'll never seriously challenge PCs. The high cost scares off your grandmother, and the closed system chases off geeks.

The fact that they have finally taken up modern hardware means they could be a bigger threat to Microsoft than any time since the very beginning. However, Apple will continue to be the biggest danger to Apple being successful. The iPod saved them from extintion at the last minute.

Linux will likely beat OSX, OSXI, OSXV or whatever as it gets better and Apple's plan doesn't change.

4. Toyman

Toyman

This depends, they're taking up intel processors, but are they using standard motherboards? I don't think so. Standard PCI slots?

It could happen, but based on Apple's track record of doing the wrong thing just to be "Different", I'll bet they'll take this opportunity to make in-roads and screw it up.

5. Loudmaxima

Loudmaxima Got Glock?

I am definetely an above average user and think Linux is about 20 years away from being a real desktop solution.

Get us a nice distro that allows us to install programs without command line and compiling and perhaps they'll pick up some consumer share.

Right now, it's served best on a server.

6. stolivar

stolivar

I agree, that is the biggest drawback of the linux system. Installing software. Once they finally figure that this is a must have simple yet necessary operation for the masses. After they do this, people will flock to the linux system.

steve

7. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

The biggest problem for Linux is the cost of user retraining on new apps. Add to it admin retraining and new procedures, and you have an amount so large to the corporations (time also counts as cost), that the likelihood of Linux replacing Windows on the desktops in the foreseable future without being able to run existing or identical apps is extremely small.

8. nickg

nickg

9. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

I don't know how many users that means, but do not forget they are paying for the switch with someone else's money (taxpayers'). Also, I wonder what their mission critical apps are, and how portable the data is to other apps. One has to look at these on a case-by-case basis.

When I hear of a Dow 30 corporation switching to Linux, then I will know Microsoft is in trouble.

I must say I have been waiting for this moment for many years, but Windows is improving, albeit the progress is painfully slow and jerky at times.

In some cases I noticed a move in the opposite direction, from a Linux server to Windows. That could be because Windows server used to be hopeless for tasks like httpd. Now it is getting reasonable.

I used to carry a Linux server with me on my business travels. When my laptop suffered a physical damage, I was issued a temporary replacement in a form of a Windows 2003 Server laptop. It pains me to say, but it has performed quite well. I put quite a load on it during presentations/demos, and it hasn't crashed yet. Since I've been busy, I didn't even bother to acquire a new Linux server in its place (it will probably take another 3-6 months). And to be quite honest, if not for the fact that I will need Linux to run an open source VoIP call center on it, I am not 100% sure I would give it much of a thought.