Apple iTunes Music and Movies ?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by davedc, Jun 10, 2020.

1. davedc

davedc

Hello,I buy all my music and movies from iTunes.When I buy music I usually want the whole album.The one thing I was told that was bad about iTunes is you don't own it.Meaning you can't leave what you have paid for to your kids when you die.Thank god I don't have kids so no problem so far.And DVD's are like the CD soon they will no longer be around.And I must say I don't miss the stack of dvd boxes.Whats the question I don't know.Maybe I am making a mistake buying music and movies just from Apple.I love Apple computers and will stick with them.Streaming I don't know enough about to comment about.I guess am I making a Big mistake buying everything from Apple.And could you tell me how you purchase music and movies.Is there a smarter or cheaper way.I am happy with iTunes but your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated thanks.........

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  2. RoyHinkley

RoyHinkley Just some guy

You can convert anything you buy on iTunes to an MP3 file and keep it as long as you want. You can do this within iTunes.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

3. davedc

davedc

Thanks RoyHinkley I don't know much about computers as you can tell.Thats good to know.I am just spending quite a lot money in my music, movie purchases.And it makes we nervous because of my little knowledge with computers.I like the way iTunes is set up.I find it easy to use which is good for me......Thanks

4. FCastle88

FCastle88

I have hundreds of CDs and DVDs I can't remember the last time I actually used. They just take up space and it's a pain to find the one I want and put it in the player compared to just streaming what I want in seconds.

I haven't bought music/movies in years, except for the occasional $3-$5 movie at Walmart from the value bins, though now that I think about it I haven't seen the bins lately. I mostly just pay for streaming services. Amazon Prime gives you free 2 day shipping as well as video streaming with a decent selection and a basic music streaming service. Hulu and Netflix have a pretty good selection for $10-$12/month as well. If you can use iTunes you can use streaming services. For new movies you can rent on Amazon's streaming service or just find the nearest Redbox.

Apple Music lets you stream almost any music you want for $10/month, and new subscribers get 3 months free. Spotify and Google Music are similar and usually also offer 2-3 months free for new customers so could switch between the 3 and get around 9 months free but if you use Apple already may be easier to just stick with them.

5. Ftttu

Ftttu

Streaming is THE way to go. I’m not saying TIDAL is the best, but I like that they have hi-res music which is above CD quality. I have the military discount so it isn’t much more than Apple Music.

I did the free periods of Apple Music, TIDAL and Qobuz, and I chose TIDAL. There are others out there Like Amazon Music HD, Spotify, etc so personal preference rules there.

Let’s say you want to listen to your CD collection and your streaming music. You can do both in different ways, one way is to listen to them separately - streaming on a streamer, computer, phone, etc and CD by your CD player. Another way is to listen to streaming(how ever) and CDs ripped into files. Another way is listen to streaming(however) and listeN to your CDs by selecting the very same CD from the streaming service since they probably have your CD in their library. Then you won’t have to rip your CDs - just bring them up at will in the streaming service.

My personal setup is I use my late 2012 Mac mini which stores my ripped CD collection in iTunes (or whatever it is called now) a long with music I have ‘purchased’ there.

I have an app called Audirvana(around $100) that sucks all of my music from my iTunes and connects to my TIDAL account so ALL of my music is managed through it. I then use the Audirvana iPhone and iPad remote app to control Audirvana on my Mac mini.

To add, Audirvana has a feature where it can take over the DAC in your system (if it is recognized)so it can provide your system with the optimum level.

I can and do run the Mac mini headless(without a monitor and a keyboard) for music, and since it is in the living room connected directly to my integrated amp/DAC, I also have it connected to my 65” Vizeo 4K TV by HDMI. I can use WiFi for TV connection, but I don’t want anything to interfere with my WiFi streaming signal from my router to my Mac mini.

6. RoyHinkley

RoyHinkley Just some guy

Apple will also let you upload any of your personal music so it is all available and can be managed by iTunes. I shunned iTunes for about 10 years because I went back to pc from Mac. Now it's pretty much all I use because I can access all of my music across all platforms. I still like Pandora occasionally for streaming, though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

7. Rick James45

Rick James45

Streaming sucks if you are data removed/remote. I own over 1600 CDs. I packed them up and sent to a company out west. 2 weeks later they came back along with a 1TB drive. All scanned completely lossless in AIFF format. One of the best things I have done.

I still have the originals in addition to the convenience of having a bigtime library. I use iTunes to manage. The library is duplicated on two Macs. I can use an iPad to select music and have it sent to my DA on my stereo systems. No compression. It is wonderful.

davedc likes this.
  8. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

What company?
    And how much did it cost?

9. FCastle88

FCastle88

Streaming services let you download music and video onto your device to be played later if you don't have access to data/don't want to use mobile data. Works the same as copying all your CDs to your computer/external drive, but for the cost of one album a month or less you can stream/download pretty much any songs you want.

10. Rick James45

Rick James45

Right, except 1 tiny thing. Compression. I cannot stand to hear compression. 1 CD = ~650MB under what I am doing. I think my library is sitting at ~750GB right now.

I am not in the "normal" crowd and I know it.

11. Rick James45

Rick James45

It was roughly $1 a disc. It was https://www.musicshifter.com/ You pick the quality so that will vary the cost.

I did it while in the middle of a move. So It worked out well I shipped from old home and had the CDs returned to my new home.

I did the Archive package with AIFF. They did cut me a little better deal due to the volume. Also, some CDs had slight damage and the transfer fixed 99% of them due to over scanning.

BamaBud likes this.
  12. davedc

davedc

RickJames....Very interesting I have over 1000 cds and had to put the CD'S in my Mac Book Pro one at a time to copy into my iTunes account what a pain in my wrist and fingers.I have over 40 thousand songs in my iTunes account.I also get a lot of CD'S from the library and rip the cd"s into my computer.The money I spent on cd's and going to concerts over the years I don't consider it stealing from the artist.They made enough money off me.The way you did it sounds a great way to go.Good for you......

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  13. Rick James45

Rick James45

I started the manual way at least 3 times. Somewhere around the 300 mark I would decide I did not like X about what I was doing. Mainly around compression and where to store the files. At the time my MB only had a 500GB, so it was obvious the data was eventually not going to fit. I bit the bullet and ordered 2 Samsung EVO Pro 1TB. One for the MacBook and one for the iMac. Both are then backed up to a 4TB NAS. Yes, I am anal-retentive.

Since then I have bought about 50 CDs so it is simple just to manual add them to the library.

Not saying this is the best, but it works for me. Yes, I still have iPods. When they die, I will look at one of the HD devices on the market.

14. davedc

davedc

I had to put in a solid state hard drive 1 TB in my Mac book pro..I learned the hard way forgot to back up my music and lost a couple thousand songs.I now back my desk top Mac and Mac Pro each with there own external hard drive....

15. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

The music files you can do whatever you want with (except illegally share like Napster ;-) ). That's why they cost $1.29 now instead of $.99. Some agreement reached with all the interested parties. So, copy those to backup somewhere and keep safe. Convert to MP3 if you want easier playability between devices but you will lose quality.

The movies, however, I am not sure what you can do about those but in the future there may be a way you can will your account to someone. I'm sure it won't be a painless process. They have no impetus to make it easy for you. Honestly, you're better off finding used DVDs of stuff you really like and ripping to your personal digital storage and keeping the DVDs for backup.

You could also just setup a password storage account that allows you to "will" your passwords if you die. SecureSafe offers that as do others. When you die, your heir will find an envelope you've left for them in your safe deposit box with details on retrieving the accounts and passwords.

This article is 4 years old but maybe some stuff has changed.
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/who-will-get-your-itunes-when-you-die-2016-08-17

16. ricky

ricky Millennium Member

I wish I could find a free app to replace iTunes trash.