Apple Imac driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Romadoc, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Romadoc

Romadoc

Sometimes, though not constantly, my Imac will sound a loud bell. I have wireless keyboard and mouse. There is no way I can figure out the cause. It comes and then might skip a couple of days. Could the mouse be the cause? Incidentally, I did call Apple and all they could suggest was to keep an anecdotal log for future reference. It is a most disturbing sound and appears to be some sort of warning. Help would be most appreciated.

2. Grimsi

Grimsi Restored member

GET A WINDOWS MACHINE!

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Not a whole lot to go on there. What makes you think its the mouse? If you think its one of your wireless devices, Why couldn't it be the keyboard? I don't like Wireless Devices, never have. If you want to rule those two things out, Best Buy's got a fairly inexpensive Keyboard/USB optical mouse combo, Dynex. I use it and it works fine. Its $21 for the mouse and keyboard, so its a cheap check, since you don't seem to know whats causing this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ategoryId=pcmcat107700050025&id=1141763316652

Good luck..

IGF

4. SIGSAREBETTER

SIGSAREBETTER Teh Pieman

Hey, you're supposed to give your fellow GLOCKer GOOD advice!

Long live the Mac!

5. hogglock

hogglock Guest

You've probably figured it out already, but I'll betcha you're hearing the sound of the computer telling you it can't do what you just asked it to do. Apple calls it the "alert sound". You can turn it off or change it to different sounds (I like the sonar ping) by left clicking on the apple in the upper left hand corner of your screen. Go to system preferences, look for the "sound" icon (a little speaker) play with it, till you find one that makes you smile....

6. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Strange. My personal bet is that your mouse or keyboard battery is low, and that you're getting the warning dialog telling you so, but you've checked the 'don't bother me with this warning' box at some point in the past. Just a guess, but it seems like the best fit for what you're describing. Replace batteries, and see if it goes away.

Next fastest solution is to just hit the 'mute' key on your keyboard (above the number pad on most Apple keyboards), when you're not actually at the computer, and then again when you sit down.

OK - if it's not that, go with basic diagnostics... I agree, it sounds like an alert beep, trying to get your attention for something. LOTS of different software that you might have installed that could be trying to ping you.

Does it only happen when you're actually sitting there, or does it sometimes happen when you're away from the keyboard?

Does it happen in one particular application, or when you've got one open in the background?

Do you have any automatic procedures set up (backups, network connections, etc.) that might be trying to flag you about something?