Apple I Pad

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by AWJGlock19, Oct 18, 2010.

1. AWJGlock19

AWJGlock19

Anybody have one?

Tell me what you think.

What model do you have?

What do you use it for?

What are it's drawbacks?

What do you like about it?

I am thinking of getting one, but I am going to wait for the new version.

2. zigzagg321

zigzagg321 clever quip

Ive got one.. Its really really small...I think Apple calls it an Ipod touch.

My advice to you, dont waste your money, get a netbook instead.

3. GamerGirl

GamerGirl 100% Relevant

Hi, my name is Gamer and I'm an iPad crackhead.

4. gtmtnbiker98

gtmtnbiker98

Me too.

5. AWJGlock19

AWJGlock19

What do you use it for?

6. 93GT

93GT The Ogre

ROFL, my wife wants one, but isn't sure why yet. I pondered getting her one for her birthday next month until I realized that I could buy an AK-74 instead. She reminds me of that youtube cartoon about iPhone4 vs HTC Evo. I laughed so hard, that I almost peed in my pants the first time that I saw it. She will probably have one by Christmas though.

7. 93GT

93GT The Ogre

It can grant three wishes even if one of those wishes is for an Iphone 4.
    I don't care. :)

8. GamerGirl

GamerGirl 100% Relevant

I use it to surf, email, and play games.

The killer app about the iPad is portability. So small, you can take it anywhere.

9. sputnik767

sputnik767

Well, I can tell you the drawbacks. No, I don't have one. This is why.

No Flash support and never will be. That leaves you with youtube and HTML5 videos, which are still very few. In the future, that may change.

No real (pc-type) operating system. You can only run apps that are written for the iPhone, ipod touch.

Typing on the on-screen keyboard will get old very fast. This is coming from my friend who owns one.

No USB port or SD card reader. If you need to transfer files, you must connect it to a PC.

Available hardware keyboard costs something like $60 and you now need to carry 2 separate pieces of hardware. Why not just use the laptop that you likely already have?

No camera that I'm aware of. Forget video chatting, although that may change with future revisions.

In the end, it's a toy that allows you to lay on your couch and read your email, instead of walking 5 feet to your computer to do the same thing. Or you can look like a tool in a Starbucks, reading your email. I see no other purpose behind it. It is an overgrown ipod touch, and I'm honestly surprised that it is selling the way it is. Although to be honest, in my 3 months in NYC, I've only seen like 2 of them in the wild. And if you're going to see them anywhere, it's NYC. Everyone and their mother here has an iPhone.

Before someone tells me that it's instant-on, so is my macbook pro. It's on the absolute instant that I open it, and is immediately connected to my wireless network. And it does everything the ipad does and everything that a laptop can do.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  10. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

THIS

in my opinion if you own everything you ever wanted , and have extra coin to blow then i would buy one :supergrin: thats about it

11. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

I have one, and I'm shocked how much I like/use it. Mine is a 3G+wifi, 64 gigs.

FWIW, I also have an Rev. A 13" Macbook Air (mine) that's almost three years old, and a one year old 17" Macbook Pro that belongs to the office - I have LOTS of choices for portable computing.

The iPad's big pros are speed of basic tasks, small size/weight, versatility, and long battery life.

The negatives are that on-screen typing is somewhere between OK and 'meh', there's occasional things (Flash-based) that don't work, and a bunch of v1.0 things that I'm really really looking forward to Apple addressing in the next OS update, due in November.

I'm shocked how often at both how much of the time I have the iPad with me, because it's easy to carry, and how rarely I use my laptops. The iPad is so damn quick to access and get information in front of me, that it's largely displaced my larger/faster laptops for mail, web, and basic 'office' tasks. It's also my main book (through Kindle), newspaper (New York Times app and my local paper's website, Magazine (The Economist), day-planner (the onboard calendar app that syncs with my phone and computer), etc.

My laptops come out either when I intend to write something longer than a few paragraphs, as the real keyboard becomes a huge win then, when I need a larger screen/multi windows for cutting/pasting things back and forth (which the iPad absolutely SUCKS at), or when I'm going to be working at one task for a long time, and the greater resources/flexibility of a full computer become valuable.

I had the wifi-only version for a few weeks, and really didn't like it. A big part of the benefit of the iPad is portable access to data, and it really didn't work when I found myself with a 20-minute wait somewhere, and no data access. I have the small $15/month data plan for the iPad, and don't come close to using the 250 MB of data. Great example of something i don't use a LOT, but not having it feels like a real burden.

I'm increasingly leaving laptops at home for personal trips, and even some business trips where I'm not expecting to be authoring long documents.

Long story short, it's not a 100% replacement for a full-sized computer, but it's been great for me, and at 1.5lbs and 10 hours of battery life, I end up using it a LOT more than I thought I would. I grab it by preference when it's just as easy to use a laptop.

It's been very worthwhile - a great purchase.

12. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

To the points above -

keyboard - the on-screen keyboard is inarguably a compromise - I was really expecting this to be a showstopper when I bought the iPad. However, I find that more than 80% of my e-mail is just a couple lines. I already had a bluetooth keyboard, and carried it around for a month or so without bothering to turn it on, and have stopped carrying it. The onscreen keyboard is adequate for most uses, or i switch to my desktop computer/laptop. I'm not claiming the onscreen keyboard is great - but I do the vast majority of my e-mail, and even IM chatting with it. It's MUCH faster than using my phone keyboard. All in all, I use the onscreen keyboard more than I thought I would, with fewer complaints.

Flash - like the keyboard, this is a legitimate issue. However, I'm again surprised by how rarely I actually run into it. About once a week, I get a link to something I can't watch. Noticeably, it's never been anything I really cared about. Photo series on the Washington Post website, funny videos people send. It's not a non-issue, but even this and the keyboard combined aren't enough to get me to haul out even my svelte 3lb Macbook Air most weeks.

PC Operating system - given how cheap apps are vs. a lot of PC software, this is actually a plus for the iPad. If I want to add capability with paid software, it's $1-$10, and I then have it on iPad, iPhone, etc. Adding even trivial software to my laptops or PC's usually costs $20-50. There's freeware for both iPad and PC - but the iPad stuff is often better.

USB port/card reader - I use my desktop computer for transferring photos, etc. Don't use the card reader in my laptops, either. I recognize that this is a bigger issue for others, but not for me. I WOULD wish that I could charge an iPhone or iTouch off the iPad's giant battery. That would be a big plus.

Camera - same story - I don't video chat with my devices that DO have cameras, so don't miss 'em here. Others may feel differently.

Look like a tool in Starbucks/it's a Toy/it's a big iTouch - I'm always amazed how worked up people get about products they don't own, and don't want. It's somehow offensive that other people find uses for these things! :upeyes:

I find the thing useful. It's small, light, and does a whole bunch of jobs well. I've probably finished checking and answering my mail, updating my calendar, and bought something on Amazon before a laptop would have finished waking up from sleep, and the iPad will have 90% power left after an hour of web/e-mail/document editing, where my smaller laptops would be down at 50% power remaining.

Sorry if this offends you!

13. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

I have a MacBook, Powerbook and an iPhone. I don't need an iPad but I kinda want one. I think I am getting one in my stocking for Christmas.

14. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

There you have it folks, this is all that matters! Humans need to eat, but were are free to want an iPad!

People buy iPads because they WANT them. They most definitely do fit very nicely between a PDA cell phone and a laptop. A Netbook is NOT the same. The fact that the iPad doesn't have a full OS is a much a feature as it's form factor.

You don't have to take care of it, like a full OS computer. You just turn it on, use it for whatever (web, email, music, or the other 40,000 apps) and turn it off.

Apple is selling 1.3 MILLION of these things A MONTH!

-Stooxie

15. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

I will be happy with just a laptop for travel.

Edit to add: My phone, which I rarely use has a crappy interface, and my only means of email, GT, etc, is my home PC.

16. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

If the applications you need are available, is that a problem?

Touchscreen interfaces aren't suited to running keyboard and mouse driven software. They do enable some really convenient, intuitive ways of interacting with a computer, though. It requires new software, much like several other PC advances.

Ultimately, your complaints boil down to "it isn't an outright PC". That's OK, it wasn't mean to be. That doesn't make it a toy, though. It doesn't try to be all things, but there are things that this type of interface does remarkably well--maybe even better. If those types of things are the types of things the tasks that most people do most of the type and it is far more convenient to carry and use than a laptop, then it isn't a toy; It's a very handy tool.

17. JK-linux

JK-linux

I'd be more interested in the new MacBook Air 11" if it runs OS X and is under $1k. A real Unix OS and a real keyboard would be better for just about any use than the iPad.

18. NashvilleGlock

NashvilleGlock EMT-Paramedic CLM

Notice all the negative comments come from those that don't or never have owned them. This is typed on my jailbroken iPad off wifi from my jail broken iPhone 4 :tongueout:

The iPad is a media consuming monster. Once you touch the Internet and get used to browsing with it, nothing else feels right.

19. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

man apple folks get rowled up about their toys :rofl:

maybe they should go to bathroom and change their Ipads

settle down folks it was a joke :tongueout::tongueout:

20. sputnik767

sputnik767

I should clarify that everything I said is how it applies to me. Yes, to me, the thing is an expensive toy, yes, to me it's a problem that there is no USB or SD reader or that it's not a real OS, etc. The OP asked about our opinions, and I gave mine. Others gave theirs. He can make up his own mind, but I'm sure he didn't start this thread to have it boil down to an argument between those that like it and those that don't, and I have no interest in taking it there. All I did was give some facts on the device, and my opinion based on those facts. Even if the OP disagrees with my view, it'll still give him something to think about.