close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Apple, Dell or HP

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Romadoc, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Romadoc

Romadoc

My kids,youngest is 40 year old lawyer, want to get me a present for my upcoming special birthday. I know it will be my choice of computer. Would I be better off with the new Apple, Dell or HP. Additionally, desktop (what I currently use) or laptop. The main thing I am concerned with is keeping my 40 gigs of music. Suggestions please.

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Ugh! I hate OEM's.

Well, the best of the bunch you mentioned, unless you like OS10 for particular reasons that outweigh its dearth of available software, would be an upper-end Dell with the best possible batteries. Get a spare.

If you have more flexibility with the order, Toshiba laptops are generally known to be more trouble-free and rugged than the other available laptops. There are certain IBM and other branded machines that cost more because of 'impact resistance' technology, but these seem to do very well without it.

And if you get a 'clean' machine you install XP on yourself, you also will not have to deal with the 1,001 stupid 'Trial Version' apps the vendor will have installed for you...from the antivirus on down, much of the software bundle will only be fully accessible for an extra fee.

I believe the Norton AV wants $69.95 to activate for a year, then $49,95 a year thereafter with a $39.95 charge per-call on tech support, though this may have changed recently.

I set up several laptops and upgraded several more recently, and using a standard Tosh laptop as a platform works best for me. Spending more helps; the costlier ones have faster procs and longer battery life. Win/win!

Good luck,

Eric

3. Tom34

Tom34 Obama Must Go!

Dell OptiPlex -- Business models -- Nothing Flashy, but Solid.

4. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I wont touch dell with a 20 foot pole. Long story short one of their models, the 9100 inspiron was a POS, and that is being polite. I went through 2 hard drives and was on my third when they finally refunded my money. If you plan on playing computer games get a desktop, laptops are generally a bit slower and less impressive then desktops but they make up for it in their portability. I too would suggest Toshiba, they seem to have a good rep. Oh and several of my friends have had issues with their dell's, to the point where I actually think they send refurbs instead of new computers.

5. berniew

berniew Liberty

Apple. Dell support is going down fast. HP is ok, but Windows based problems seem to multiply by the hour.

6. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

How is Toshiba customer support (via phone)?

7. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

In the past 7 years I have been through 1 homebuilt computer, 2 dell laptops and 1 dell desktop.

I will never purchase another dell product. The build quality in my opinion is not as nice. I have had multiple hardware issues with my dell desktop.

I'm going to law school in the fall and will be buying one of the new Macbook Pro's from Apple. I am in the process of selling both my dell laptops. I will keep my Dell desktop for those certain functions/programs that my new Apple will not be able to(not due to lack of performace but 3rd party software issues and my Creative MP3 player that is PC only).

In college, my buddy had a 6 year old, POS Apple that ran faster and more reliable than my brand new, 2200 dollar Dell.

8. Rexzilla

Rexzilla Hoosier

Treat yourself to an Apple. You can have both worlds Apple OS and XP on the same machine. The new Apples use dual core Intel chips. The Apples are great for video editing.

9. Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty

Haha! That's like asking if you should get a Raven, Lorcin, or Jiminez pistol!

10. HVAC-TEK

HVAC-TEK

apple = good product with limmited access to software. Much like a good ww2 rifle in an obscure calaber.

Dell = luck of the draw. If no problems, great company. If you need to call their tech support its a nightmare.

HP = I dont know. I had a HP computer in the 1990's and it was ok, but I have no modern experiance with their computers.

They do have fantastic printers.

Its up to you.

KIM

11. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Do you have any friends who have Macs? I assume you probably have some who have Windows-based comps. You need to go and use them and see if you are comfortable with them. Asking on a forum if you should get Apple or a PC is like asking what people think is better, Christianity or Islam. Who do you think is going to respond? The faithful.

When comes to reliability of any "off the shelf" machine, read fastvfr's post. Unless you put it together yourself (and that excludes Apple), you are never assured 100% of the quality of what's inside, so consider quality of the vendor's tech support. However, first and foremost, what are you comfortable with already?

12. Nukem

Nukem

Apple - and never look back. I switched couple months ago and could not be happier.

13. berniew

berniew Liberty

Christianity. Wait wrong forum...

;)

If he wants a simple machine to do simple tasks and not a lot of messing around he really only has one choice.

Putting together your own machine may be fun, but you are buying 'off the shelf' parts and unless you are copying a proven design you don't have any assurance they will 'play nice'

14. berniew

berniew Liberty

Parallels software can fix that

15. Cruise

Cruise

Get a Mac, and kiss your virus/spyware/stability problems goodbye. And if you still need to be able to run Windows, a Mac can do that too. All you need to do is provide your own copy of Windows XP, and everything else you need is free via Apple's "Bootcamp."

My office has traditionally been a Windows/Macintosh mix, but I sold off my last PC in January (I usually hand-built them) to my brother, and replaced it with another Mac (bringing the grand total to two).

16. Cruise

Cruise

True, but unless he needs virtualization (as opposed to merely dual-booting), he doesn't even need to buy Parallels. Bootcamp is free.

17. Waffen HK

Waffen HK

18. speedweapon

speedweapon Gort

Mac....most definitely Mac......yea...most definitely.

19. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

I just read on a macforum that Bootcamp is soon to be unavailable. I don't even know what it is. Any help?

20. malkore

malkore

Dell.

HP is crap.

Apple you are not used to, and they cost more for no good reason.