Apex Trigger Issue with Glock 43

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jfranks64, Oct 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. jfranks64

jfranks64

Please hold off on purchasing/installing the Apex Glock Trigger on a G43 until this problem has been resolved.

Details:
    I was all excited when Apex Tactical announced that they finally produced a replacement trigger for Glocks. Being familiar with Apex Tactical's solid reputation for quality trigger products for the Smith & Wesson M&Ps, I didn't wait for the "normally allowed" real world debugging of a new product by the general public. I received my Apex Glock Trigger (no trigger bar available for the G43) a couple of days ago and finally had the time to install it this evening. Lets call it a complete "FAIL" at this point in time.

The removal of the G43 trigger shoe pin from the trigger bar was very easy (thanks to a simple tip given to me from HGxyz) and my factory trigger shoe was not "completely busted".
    I might have to reinstall this trigger shoe until I can get a replacement factory trigger/trigger bar or (hopefully) if Apex Tactical can quickly resolve the design problem.

The installation of the Apex Glock trigger on my factory trigger bar was also very simple.

The problem came after the frame was completely reassembled and I went to put the slide back on and function test the gun.
    The slide for my Glock G43 will not install as it catches on the trigger bar striker safety "hump".

I double checked everything without any resolution. Attempting to verify the problem (and allow for better photos to be taken for Apex Tactical), I removed the barrel, recoil spring, slide cover plate, striker, locking block and slide lock. I tried to reinstall the slide and it still hung up on the trigger bar striker safety hump. UGH!!!

For final verification I removed the trigger assembly and (as expected) the slide would go fully onto the frame.

I spoke with Apex Tactical customer service (Juana). I give Apex Tactical's Customer Service a good rating as they are were very quick to respond to this issue.
    I was also told that they have already received many phone calls about this problem. Apex sent me an email with questions to be answered and with photo requests of my G43 before I hung up the phone with Juana.

I will post an update when I get a reply from Apex Tactical with their recommendation/solution.

JackC53 likes this.
  2. jfranks64

jfranks64

Here are a few photos of the attempted installation of the Apex Glock trigger in my G43.

Attached Files:

3. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Did your G43 not run just fine stock? New magic gizmos are no substitute for the fundamentals of pistol shooting: Stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. I suggest you master those first before chasing new magic.....

2740dmx, venenoindy and joemack47 like this.
  4. jfranks64

jfranks64

Yes, My G43 worked from the factory. Did it run "just fine" is always a matter of opinion.
    Let me start by saying that I didn't purchase the Apex Glock trigger because it was "magical". Apex doesn't claim that it will drop trigger weight. They do claim a few other things, but nothing to do with why I purchased this item.

I purchased the Apex Glock trigger because I don't like serrated trigger faces. The Lone Wolf trigger received many bad reviews and I didn't want to pay out around $150 for other available options. Glock should be smart enough to offer a smooth or flat faced trigger to its customers. This item fit "my" needs/desired.

FYI: Concerning other "magical" aftermarket magic parts ....

From the factory my G43's trigger pull was about 8.5lbs. Maybe you would find that acceptable, but I don't! Glock shouldn't find it acceptable either as they list the G43 as having an 5.5lb trigger from the factory. I have never talked, met or read a post from a single person claiming that their G43 had a 5.5lb trigger pull from the factory. Glock should be ashamed and change the listed factory claims to realistic value.

I also installed XS Big Dot Sights as I shoot much tighter groups with these aftermarket sights versus the factory bucket/ball sights.

I installed a Talon Grip which allows me a slip free grip versus the factory grip. Many people stipple their guns to achieve a grip texture that works for them.

Also to clarify: I have very good shooting skills and put thousands of rounds down range each year.
    I've mastered those muscle memory skills. I chose to fit all of my firearms to my specific needs and physical limitations versus other shooters. No two of us are the same and one size does not fit all. I wouldn't purchase a Glock before the G43 came out. The wide frame grip of most Glocks doesn't work for me, thus I own several full sized Smith & Wesson M&Ps (which fit my hand extremely well).

5. xzhync

xzhync

I have the same issue. I am able to install the slide on to the frame, but it requires some ramming force. I think the issue is that the trigger shoe doesn't allow enough side to side motion for the ear of the trigger bar to deflect around the flair out in the underside of the slide. I will be following this thread for your updates.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    jfranks64 likes this.
  6. jfranks64

jfranks64

I didn't want to "force" my slide on. I didn't want to bend the trigger bar as I might have to reinstall the factory trigger shoe until I can obtain a long term solution.

7. Koba

Koba

I was watching a youtube video about how glocks get points to allow import into the US, and that serrated trigger gives them points towards it. From what the video said, a few models come very close to not having enough points, and that is possibly why they use this trigger. I'll have to dig that up...

8. Koba

Koba

there it is. I am betting the 43 scores similarly to the 26, and that trigger is needed

jfranks64 likes this.
  9. jfranks64

jfranks64

Glock could still get the "points" by selling the factory G43 with the serrated trigger, but then offer a smooth or flat faced trigger option that could be installed by a person after purchase. Thanks for the post.

JackC53 likes this.
  10. Koba

Koba

I agree with that jfranks. If nothing else it's another retail opportunity for them

jfranks64 likes this.
  11. HGxyz

HGxyz

Glock does not retail any "internal" parts. They hold a strong line on not allowing the general public anything that require slide plate of receiver pin removal, insisting that only certified Glock armorers are qualified to perform these actions, simple and easy as they are.

The easiest, least expensive fix is to buy a G17 trigger bar (~$20) and transfer the shoe from that onto the G43 trigger bar.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=477&CAT=195

12. Koba

Koba

I know little about swapping parts out, I keep mine stock. It just seems like they could make money off of it. I don't think they are hurting now though, so I guess it's working :p

13. jfranks64

jfranks64

Thanks for that information.
    Your tip for removing the the factory G43 shoe. I was able to remove it without major damage so that I could use it for a very short term fix.

14. HGxyz

HGxyz

I learned this "trick" from another forum member, just for fun. After a failed experiment with the LWD adjustable trigger shoe, I went to the G17 shoe. LW insisted I try another one of their shoes, and when I reluctantly did, it again failed (trigger stopped resetting after 170 rounds because the over travel adjustment worked all the way in) and I am now running the same G17 shoe again - its use is repeatable, though I wouldn't want to remove and replace it very many times.

15. stevedal12

stevedal12

Don't mind the trolls in here dude, a few find their way into very thread. Good report.

3 Cubed - 1 likes this.
  16. Bruce M

Bruce M

Sorry, if not shocked, that you are having difficulties with it. I am sure they will figure out how to improve it.

17. sasage

sasage

G43 isn't listed on the compatible glock list on Apex site FYI

18. jfranks64

jfranks64

There are two options for purchasing the Apex Glock Trigger: with or without trigger bar.

The G43 "was" listed as compatible on the Glock list for the trigger shoe only (no trigger bar). Apex might have recently changed their website information since this problem has come to light.

19. jfranks64

jfranks64

I just checked the Apex Tactical site and the G43 is still listed as a compatible with the trigger shoe only.

Apex Glock Action Enhancement Trigger Model # 102-112

20. jfranks64

jfranks64

I disassembled my G43 and took some measurements and a photo of the Apex Glock Trigger versus the factory G43 trigger.

Below is the email that I sent to Apex Tactical this morning detailing the differences and what I believe to be the root cause of the problem on my firearm.

Juana,
    I disassembled my G43 and took measurements of your Apex Glock trigger and my factory Glock G43 trigger.

Measuring from the right side of both trigger bodies:
    The right side of trigger bar slot on your Apex trigger is almost 0.8mm farther to the right side of the trigger body versus the right side of the trigger bar slot on the Glock G43 trigger.

Measuring from the left side of both trigger bodies:
    Similarly the left side of trigger bar slot on your Apex trigger is almost 0.5mm farther to the right side of the trigger body versus the left side of the trigger bar slot on the Glock G43 trigger.

I took a photo where you can clearly see that the trigger bar on the Apex trigger is farther to the right side of the trigger body versus the Glock G43 trigger body.

I believe that the relocation of the trigger bar slot on the Apex trigger to the right is the root cause of the problem in a Glock G43. The new location causes the interference between the trigger bar striker safety "hump" and the machined section of the G43 slide.

A person would have to alter/modify the stock Glock G43 trigger bar to have enough clearance between the trigger bar and the slide that would allow for them to reassemble/disassemble their firearm. I don't believe that most people are capable of performing this task correctly/safely.

I only see two solutions for this problem.
    1: A new trigger bar would have to be designed and tested for this Apex trigger on the G43.
    2: Apex would have to make a new/modified Apex Glock trigger with the trigger bar slot in the correct location for use in the G43 with the stock trigger bar.

Please advise as to how Apex would like to proceed with returning my Glock G43 back to operating condition.

Apex - Glock G43 Trigger.jpg