Apex trigger for Glock - report

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by HGxyz, Oct 20, 2015.

1. HGxyz

HGxyz

I received the Apex trigger and got it out to the range today. I decided to put it on my new G19 and fired off 350 rounds. It's nice, but nothing spectacular. I guess at this point, I like the feel slightly more than a G17 trigger shoe.

You have a choice when buying: with or without gen3 trigger bar. I ordered without and regret it. It was quite difficult to push the pin on the shoe in through the trigger bar. You need to use a vice, but the instructions say push it in "subflush" and when I called they said finish getting it in with a 1/16 inch punch. I could not budge the pin with a punch, even after going to a heavy hammer. I bent my punch and flared its tip. I finally got it in by positioning the point of a short, stout nail over the pin while using my vice to press the pin home with the nail - the nail and shoe are in the vice, lined up , then tighten the vice. I had thoughts that I might also try this same shoe on my G43 - no way - that shoe isn't coming off it's current trigger bar.

I have to say, the trigger does not fit perfectly in the gun. It takes a little finesse to get the slide stop lever in place. Then use your Glock tool as a guide to "lead" the trigger pin into place. The fun comes if you now try to disassemble the receiver - it is very difficult to get that trigger pin out again, it took me at least 10 minutes wiggling the slide stop lever before the pin was free.

I'm on the fence about recommending it. If money isn't an issue and you can deal with the sticky spots I mentioned go ahead. If you are well satisfied with the OEM trigger shoe, don't bother. Maybe I'll grow to like this more, but so far it's just OK. Maybe the problems I had are due to my mediocre skills, or the particular trigger I received. I'd be interested to hear anyone else's experience.

G19Apex.jpg

SeventyGTX and Paul53 like this.
  2. Radius_Retention_Systems

Radius_Retention_Systems RADIUS RETENTION SYSTEMS

Thanks for the honest assessment.
    I played with a few triggers a few years back then settled on the 3.5 connector + NY1 spring.
    Little heavier than stock but much more positive feel and crisper break.
    And for apx $20 bucks net... can't beat it.
    I would like to try the ZEV Fulcrum tho... ;-)

Paul53 likes this.

3. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

Thanks from me too in the honest review. I had been thinking about one of these.

Paul53 likes this.
  4. JBP55

JBP55

Approximately 1% of the Glock triggers I have worked on had this heavy trigger pull combination.

5. just for fun

just for fun

As others have already posted, I too would like to thank you for your assessment.
    In the past, I've had more issues with clock triggers than I care to relate! Strange as it may sound-Talon "rubber" grip wrap has done more to resolve my faults than any other "change" including an aftermarket trigger assembly.
    Shooting full house 357Sig rounds set up frame vibrations that caused discomfort to my trigger finger with less than 50 rounds fired. I mistakenly posted that situation as trigger bite. (should have said sting!) Oh boy, that end up with days of postings on how to hold a pistol! Strangely enough I was shooting pistols when many of these experts were still making messes on their mama's lap!
    The Talon wrap has ended (absorbed?) that annoying situation and 357 sig rounds are no longer an issue.
    Speaking only for myself I'm done with any and all "new and improved" glock trigger assemblies. Your installation problems only exemplify the "attention to detail" of most aftermarket glock parts.

6. Radius_Retention_Systems

Radius_Retention_Systems RADIUS RETENTION SYSTEMS

Ya its not as common as you would think.
    It produces a 6lbs trigger so not much more than stock really.
    But it really results in a more positive feel in the take up, not so mushy, and a cleaner crisper break.
    ...I like it.

7. HGxyz

HGxyz

One of the things you have to live with on Glock Talk is condescending assumptions in replies, usually coming with one size fits all advice.

SterlingArcher and jfranks64 like this.
  8. sumoj275

sumoj275

Appreciate the review. I'm on a budget like many, and have been considering this as a trigger option.

9. Batts

Batts

I got a Zev Fulcrum kit for my 36 w/ the whole magilla except the Ti striker.

I really like the flat trigger face as the pointy one hurt my mousing finger.

The travel reduction settings take a lot out of it so my short finger could properly engage upon initial attempt.

If Apex is just making shoes, then I want one for my 41.

I like the idea of the NY spring too.

Crisp is always best IMHO.

Batts

10. Catshooter

Catshooter

HG,

Thanks for the report.

Even though I strive to keep my Glocks mostly stock I must admit to being tempted by Apex. You just grounded me. :)

Cat

11. xzhync

xzhync

I installed the Apex shoe in my 43 yesterday. I found the same thing as the OP. That pin is crazy tight. Apex didn't need to make it that tight. I ended up marring the side of the shoe because my punched slipped a bit under the heavy pounding I had to do to budge the pin. I have only dry fired it so far (hope to hit the range today or tomorrow) but I do like the feel thus far. The entire trigger travel is 5/16".

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

Interesting review - thanks for posting it.

13. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Interesting. I hate the trigger shoe on my 43. Even after sanding down the trigger safety, it's still not as comfortable as it should be. My friend has the Apex on his Shield and it feels great. (It's the only way I'd own a shield, that hinged trigger I don't like. )

My plan is to just change the trigger itself, without any mods to the trigger pull. I may have gotten lucky, but the pull on my 43 is acceptable to me.

14. HGxyz

HGxyz

I was thinking the Apex trigger might fit better with the new slide stop lever design of the G43. Is that the case? Is it hard to get the trigger pin out of the receiver now?

15. xzhync

xzhync

Yes, it is an easy fit with the new slide stop design. Where there is a bad fit issue is regarding removing and installing the slide on the frame. It appears that this trigger allows virtually no side to side play with the trigger bar so upon installation or removal the "ear" that pushes on the striker safety plunger cannot hardly get around the flair out on the inside/underside of the slide. It takes some extra force to remove and install the slide. You can really see the side move laterally to push past the ear.

16. just for fun

just for fun

I agree all the way. Read all advice with a grain of salt! But then, my wife says I'm just getting old and hard to live with!

17. Blackshirt

Blackshirt

I really like the Apex shop, so I have been following the intro of this trigger with much interest. My concern is the aluminum construction. The stock setup is very resilient and not prone to deformation or developing a bind. Does the Apex feel stout enough to resist this sort of potential problem? I'm on the fence between this trigger (with an Apex plunger) or a GlockTriggers Guardian on my G32 Gen3...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  18. HGxyz

HGxyz

I don't think this particular concern would be realized. The trigger seems very solid and built to last.

Blackshirt likes this.
  19. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

FYI: DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE FOR THE G43!

I bought one for my G43. At the time of purchase (from Brownells), it said does not fit the G42. So I just installed it, and everything went fine until I put the slide on. It was tight going on, but once it is on it seemed to work just fine while dry firing. No binding or anything, and a great feel. However, when going to take it apart, the protrusion on the trigger bar that disengages the firing pin safety drags on the slide. I was able to get the slide off, but it really marred up the trigger bar area that I spoke of.

So I called Apex, and they were really nice. They said they are not approving use of the trigger for the G43, and that web sites should have been updated. Sure enough, it now says "We also advise against use in the model 43 at this time.". :(

It's too bad, though as I really like the way it feels. I'm hoping they come out with something soon. In the meanwhile, I'm open to other options.

Just thought I'd share, in case someone else was thinking of doing this.

20. jfranks64

jfranks64

My trigger pin installs/removes just as easily as it did with the stock Glock trigger.
    Are you using the factory slide stop or have you installed the Vickers Tactical extended slide stop?
    I'm using the factory slide stop.

I didn't experience the problem a few members posted about pushing in the trigger bar retaining pin.
    Mine went in smoothly and without excessive force required. Even when I had to use the 1/16" punch to recess the pin, everything went very smoothly. I wonder if they have more than one CNC set up to make this particular model.

I have a thread posted with many details concerning the installation of the Apex trigger on a G43.

I have the issue with interference between the slide and trigger bar during takedown/reassembly. Current fix by Apex is to pull (and hold) the trigger all of the way forward while installing/removing the slide. This has greatly helped this situation. Apex no longer recommends the installation of this part on the G43 and they are designing a new trigger specifically for the G43.

To date I have about 200 rounds down range with the Apex trigger installed on my G43. I happen to really like it.
    Of Note: Apex will be sending me the new version trigger for the G43 to swap out when it becomes available.