Glock Talk banner

APEX Fixed My Glock 19 BTF

3755 Views 20 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  bub
I bought two Gen 4 Glock 19s in 2012, one new and one slightly used. Both have peppered my face with hot empties since the first magazine in each. It hasn't been a random erratic ejection but, 2-3 empties out of every magazine. My wife would laugh when I came in from the range and took a close up photo of my face one day since it had so many black marks on it. I had tired several of the fixes suggested by members of this forum with no improvement whatsoever. Both guns have the most up-to-date Glock parts so I decided to try the APEX Glock Failure Resistant Extractor in one of these guns before giving up. The APEX extractor isn't a cheap part with total cost of the part and shipping coming to $68.00.

I installed the part and took it to the range yesterday with a mix of ammunition brands and loads. I started firing and had no brass to the face with the first magazine, which was the only time I had made it through a full magazine from either of these two G19s without at least one hot empty to the face. The second, third and all other magazines emptied with the same result. The empties ejected to the right just as they should and I had a clean face for the first time I had shot this Gen 4 G19. In all I fired 175 rounds with not a single BTF and I am well pleased with this APEX extractor. This afternoon I'll order another one for my second Glock 19.

I have owned several Glocks in the past and never had this problem with any of them, or any other handgun for that matter. It has been confined to these two Gen 4 Model 19s. If you are one of the unlucky few who have a Glock 19 which exhibits brass to face behavior you might try the APEX extractor. It seems to have fixed it for this one G19 of mine. I'll run a couple hundred more rounds through it next week as a follow-up.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· You local friendly Skynet dealer
13,968 Posts
Tuscany, I did the same with my 19 with the same results. Think mine was a 2012 build also. Kinda miss the good old days of all the BTF drama.

· Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both my Gen 4 G19s already had the 30274 ejector. Still beat me up with empties. Someone suggested polishing the stock ejector so I got out my Dremel tool and Flitz. Made the ejector look chrome plated and it didn't help a bit.

I'm very glad the change of ejectors worked for you. Happy shooting!

I just replaced the the 336 ejector with the 30274 in my gen 3 ran 150 rounds no more BTF

· Registered
6 Posts
Both my Gen 4 G19s already had the 30274 ejector. Still beat me up with empties. Someone suggested polishing the stock ejector so I got out my Dremel tool and Flitz. Made the ejector look chrome plated and it didn't help a bit.

I'm very glad the change of ejectors worked for you. Happy shooting!
Thanks! Tuscany it was suggested I do the same to change the angle of the ejector. But chose instead to try the new updated one

· Registered
788 Posts
Someone suggested polishing the stock ejector so I got out my Dremel tool and Flitz. Made the ejector look chrome plated and it didn't help a bit.
I'm really scratching my head wondering how polishing an ejector was supposed to help. You read a lot of goofy crap on the Internet....

· Premium Member
22,879 Posts
I have 2 Glock 19 Gen 4's. One is early (frying pan finish) and one is newer. My BTF stopped when I stopped reading about BTF on GlockTalk. True story.
I didn't know the early Gen 4 had the coveted "frying pan finish". Wish mine had that. Fortunately, I've not experience the BTF though. Still, a more positive and consistent extraction would be welcome. My P2000 literally puts the brass in a neat little pile.

· Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm really scratching my head wondering how polishing an ejector was supposed to help. You read a lot of goofy crap on the Internet....
I didn't see how it could help either, but it was fairly quick and cost nothing so I tried it on one ejector. I guess I was grasping at straws since I had tried most of the other fixes suggested on this forum. Nothing else worked so I gave it a try. I did ignore the usual chorus of limp wristing. I have owned and shot multiple Glocks over the last 20 years and never had a problem with BTF on them or any of my other handguns. It has just been these two Gen 4 19s that gave me BTF issues.

I did install an Apex extractor kit on my second Gen 4 Model 19 and it has been perfect since then also. I now have over 2000 rounds through the two Apex-equipped 19s and not a single empty has hit me in the face. They consistently eject the empties right where they should. It took a lot of time and effort running to the range and trying different suggestions but always with the same results. Then it took over $130 in non-Glock parts to actually fix the problem.

I'm pleased with the two Glock 19s now, but it certainly put a bad taste in my mouth for the "new" Glocks.

· Registered
1,609 Posts
BuckyP,first Glock I ever owned had the venerable silverstone or frying pan finish. My son has it now... Got me a grey frame G19 with new style finish. Its ok but I really liked the frying pan finish.

No btf with either of my 19s.

Wondering if Apex extr. Would help my G36 keep from jamming? I dont limp wrist it. Only one way to find out.

· Registered
1,987 Posts
I didn't know the early Gen 4 had the coveted "frying pan finish". Wish mine had that. Fortunately, I've not experience the BTF though. Still, a more positive and consistent extraction would be welcome. My P2000 literally puts the brass in a neat little pile.
I also had an early "Frying Pan" finish Glock 23 Gen 4. But I sold that one, along with all my other .40's.

· Enigma
3,724 Posts
Threads like this disprove the "not gripping it right" theory.
I fixed a late gen 3 model 19 with an Apex extractor and gen 4 ejector.
My 11 year old son can shoot my Glocks (19, 32, 21) and not get BTF.
I do not understand those that tolerate being hit by brass, or condone it with "wear a cap" ect...
My Glocks do not throw brass at my face / head, its unacceptable.

· "This... is my BOOMstick!"
358 Posts
I took mine out for a first fire this weekend and I got a few stray BTFs and a couple in the chest, too.
I couldn't find any rhyme or reason to it; just random.

I didn't really care, but it'd be nice if it didn't.
I shot my bud's 1911 and he stood a few feet back at my 5 o'clock and caught the cases from it!
That's when I realized my sporadic ejections were irritating.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.