AP and Northwest's 50-seat "DC-9"

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by sopdan, Feb 25, 2005.

1. sopdan

sopdan

2. GlocknAK

GlocknAK

I've been flying a DC-9 for 20 bucks a flight hour ?!?! All this time I thought I was flyin a CRJ. Since I've been an NWA pilot all this time, I'm pretty sure that they owe me some back pay. Maybe I can transition to the A-319 soon. Hmmmm.... better go e-mail ALPA

3. Stuckinhell

Stuckinhell

Why? You're already at the pinnacle of your career!

Pun intended

4. GlocknAK

GlocknAK

Don't you mean "Pinch-a-nickle" of my career? :)

I'm just joking. I can't complain about anything but the pay check, and that'll never change. There will always be enough pilots lookin for their first jet job for the airlines to offer chump change (that makes me a chump doesn't it?) for somebody to fly it from the right seat.

Besides, we got more TVs in the cockpit than you can find at Best Buy!

5. CaptainOveur

CaptainOveur

The real reason pilots start out at 17-20,000 a year for a regional airline is that customers want the cheapest ticket possible and that is the bottom line.

These days, airlines can't be competative if they are paying their pilots professional wages....

6. GlocknAK

GlocknAK

I agree with you on the fact that people want the cheapest ticket that they can find. When I pay for a positive space ticket I look for the best deal I can find too (have to with what I make ;) )

My point was that if the industry wasn't relatively flush with low time pilots willing to work for next to nothing for a few years, the pay would go up. Not pointing fingers, I'm not low time, but I was looking for a job flyin jets and I signed up.

However, Pinnacle can pay their pilot group better and remain competitive. I don't know how we stack up right now, but a year ago I made just over half of what a Comair FO made. Comair FOs aren't rakin it in or anything, but it's a liveable wage. Here if you're the sole provider for a family, you qualify for food stamps.

After what any pilot has sunk into his/her education and training, that is just wrong.

7. sf340flyer

sf340flyer

As you say, Pinch-a-nickle has never been very good with pay. Probably stems from their pay for training background. Seems like there are always people who will work for next to nothing to "fly a jet". Personally I couldn't care less about what equipment I fly. I want to make a decent living and have enough time off to enjoy it. Others jump at the first opportunity then wonder why they don't get paid what they think they deserve. Myself and many others I know purposly didn't apply to many places that hired VERY low time pilots and paid accordingly. Kinda thread drift from the original post, but I guess it's not suprising that the media doesn't know one aircraft type from another much less which airline they are even talking about. As far as they are concerned (and many passengers for that matter) if it's red its NWA. I'm sure you see it as much as I do at the "other" airlink. I remember many passengers giving us a hard time after the NWA strike in '99 and asking us if we got what we wanted in our contract. They seemed rather suprised that I said our contract was signed in '96. Talk about blank stares....

p.s. good luck on your contract, hope it works out o.k.

8. CaptainOveur

CaptainOveur

True, but if the industry wasn't flush with pilots and pay started to go up, I'd expect we'd see a HUGE excess of pilots soon as people start to find out about it, in other words demand will pull pilots. I just don't ever seeing a situation where there are "not enough" pilots in the near future, so I just don't think that will ever have an effect on pay, at least in the forseeable future.

9. GlocknAK

GlocknAK

Thanks for wishin us luck on the negotiations sf340. I think we're going to need it. Management has been playing their typical games already (still?). I don't worry about it too much, just seems to be the way the industry ticks.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the pay for training history has something to do with their pay being so low. I didn't pay for training, never have, never will. But I needed a new job and needed it soon. Pinnacle was the first to offer something that wasn't a step back as far as career advancement went, so I took it. I had other irons in the fire, but the upgrade times were MUCH longer other places than they are here. I figure if I eat it on the pay in the short run, but make captain relatively quickly then I am still ahead. We'll see if that works out or not.

I used to fly in the bush in AK (making GOOD money), but I got hitched and movin to Kotzebue was a lot to ask from a girl from Texas... Whatcha gonna do?

Fly safe