Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Firm member
30,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford, specifically. I'm looking for a specific model/trim/package that no dealer within 100 miles has and I will not order. Ford.com will only allow me to ask the locals to find the car themselves but I'm simply looking for a way to contact out-of-area dealers directly who have the vehicle in stock. I'd rather deal direct and drive it back than deal with inter-dealership swaps. Thanks.

·
Registered
30,883 Posts
Only thing I can think of is to call those further away dealerships and ask them.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Short version is no. It's in the interests of your local dealers for you to have no access to their inventory system, otherwise you wouldn't need them.

·
2,377 Posts
Walk into the nearest 2-3 dealers with the model/trim you want, the price you're willing to pay, and your contact info. Tell them you already went to X, Y, and Z dealerships with the same request and you'll purchase from the first dealer who can get it for you.

·
Firm member
30,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Short version is no. It's in the interests of your local dealers for you to have no access to their inventory system, otherwise you wouldn't need them.
I constantly hear of people who claim, "yeah, a dealer in Louisanna (or wherever) had one and I drove there and got it." There is obviously some way for this to happen. HH

·
6,997 Posts
Dealers have access to other dealer's inventory. That's how they do dealer trades. Only the sales managers or higher can do this.

Ask for a sales manager, he/she will be able to see what's available, what's coming in, and might be willing to get it for you.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I constantly hear of people who claim, "yeah, a dealer in Louisanna (or wherever) had one and I drove there and got it." There is obviously some way for this to happen. HH
There is a dealer inventory system and dealers have access to it. All you need is a web browser and a password.

Only dealership personnel are supposed to have access, but I just checked my password for my old Hyundai store and it still works. What you need is a friend who works or worked at a Ford store.

You could go to a dealership and ask them to find one for you, then do an end run and call the dealer that has the unit you want, but we typically didn't tell the customer where the car was coming from for this very reason.

·
New here
28 Posts
Sure there is. And the Ford site is pretty easy. Just go to shopping tools and then search dealer inventory. Put in a zip code of where you want to search and it will show what the dealers in that zip code have.
Right now I am looking at the inventory of Seekins Ford in Fairbanks AK. and I live in AZ.
Just find how far you would be willing to drive and get those zip codes and you should be in business.

Robert

·
Firm member
30,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
There is a dealer inventory system and dealers have access to it. All you need is a web browser and a password.

Only dealership personnel are supposed to have access, but I just checked my password for my old Hyundai store and it still works. What you need is a friend who works or worked at a Ford store.

You could go to a dealership and ask them to find one for you, then do an end run and call the dealer that has the unit you want, but we typically didn't tell the customer where the car was coming from for this very reason.
Very, very good information...thank you. Wouldn't personally do the part in bold since I don't want to waste the time and effort of all the locals whose websites indicate they don't have the car I'm looking for. HH

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Sure there is. And the Ford site is pretty easy. Just go to shopping tools and then search dealer inventory. Put in a zip code of where you want to search and it will show what the dealers in that zip code have.
Right, but there's no way to say "I want a red mustang with ___ package" and that's by design. You can tell Ford exatly what you want, and a dealer will contact you. This is to make sure that the salespeople get their shot at you.

·
Firm member
30,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right now I am looking at the inventory of Seekins Ford in Fairbanks AK. and I live in AZ.
Just find how far you would be willing to drive and get those zip codes and you should be in business.

Robert
What I want to do is to go to Ford.com and type in, "2011 xxxxxx GT, package #***, Candy Red, blah, blah, blah and get a list of every dealer in the country with that very car on their lot, now. Ford.com and every other manufacurers site doesn't do this. HH

·
6,997 Posts
What I want to do is to go to Ford.com and type in, "2011 xxxxxx GT, package #***, Candy Red, blah, blah, blah and get a list of every dealer in the country with that very car on their lot, now. Ford.com and every other manufacurers site doesn't do this. HH
Now that you know that won't give you access to other dealer's inventory, what are your alternatives?

·
New here
28 Posts
Oh now I got it.

That would be much to easy. No the way I stated I believe is the best you are going to get from a manufacturers web site.

As said the local dealers don't want to lose out.

·
NRA & GOAL
3,257 Posts
sit with one of the salesmen at your local dealer. Tell him that you don't want to deal with the transfers
BUT you will pay a $200 finder fee (or whatever amount) to a sales rep that can
find that car for you. I'd be willing to bet that you'd leave with the info.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Since it appears that you have to go through a local dealer to get the inventory search and subsequent dealer swap, how about going to 3 or 4 local dealers and having them each do the same search. Get their best price for the same vehicle. No different than if they each had that vehicle sitting on their lot.

·
6,997 Posts
That's my original question. HH
As I stated earlier, talk to a sales manager. He will be able to help you. That's your best bet.

If you don't want to deal with a dealer trade, well, good luck finding exactly what you want.

·
Firm member
30,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since it appears that you have to go through a local dealer to get the inventory search and subsequent dealer swap, how about going to 3 or 4 local dealers and having them each do the same search. Get their best price for the same vehicle. No different than if they each had that vehicle sitting on their lot.
Very good advice. I may be in a very unique situation but the nearest 5 Ford dealers would require two full days of all day driving just to visit, and I'm not a huge fan of the closest. HH

1 - 20 of 26 Posts