close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anything limiting your ability to shoot?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by guitarguy69, Jan 12, 2012.

1. guitarguy69

guitarguy69 Glock'N Roll

I am just curious to see how many of us have a physical limitation that either positively or negatively affects our ability to shoot a handgun? I have been a semi pro golfer and seen lots of arthritis and other afflictions affect golfers. I am a guitar tech and luthier and have seen lots of musicians with arthritis or other afflictions also. But I was wondering the other day, after reading a thread about a guy in a wheelchair that shoots at the range, what others go through to enjoy shooting guns in general?

2. BEER

BEER bad example

my only physical limitation would be my shoulder, and all that does is keeps me from shooting anything with heavy recoil. i'm still good up to about 6 rounds of a stout 30-06 before i have to call it quits for the day.

lucky for me i'm right handed but left eye dominant so when my left shoulder starts acting up i just put away the long guns, but with pistols i can shoot for as long as i can afford the ammo.

3. Mak Maven

Mak Maven Lifetime Member

Left handed, rt eye dominant.

Oh well been shooting that way for 50 years. Nothing new.

4. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

My eyes are shot. Makes distance shooting without a scope difficult.

5. G30Mike

G30Mike Say When!

Without my glasses I probably couldn't hit a B27 target at 10 feet.
    Seriously though, I'm type 1 diabetic and have been having some problems with my hands lately. Nothing major yet, but I'm expecting them to diminish in less than several years. It sucks, but that's life. I just recently realized how bad my eyesight had gotten and determined I had better get glasses. I can't make out a face at 10 feet. Had to renew my driver license and failed the eye test. Its crazy how stuff like that will sneak up on you if you aren't watching out.

6. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Old injury that is constantly causing a pain in the upper right arm doesn't help.
    Heavy loads are causing a discomfort sometimes, but so far nothing prohibitive really.

7. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

As far as anyone other than my wife knowing about any physical limitations I may have.......such as anyone "official" and the like, simply none of their business.

Especially if they think it is.:wavey:

8. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

I have Dupuytren's Contracture in my right pinky. My pinky is usually flat against my palm, but if I really try, I can get it to 90 degrees. It gets hung up on pistol's handles. I make do.
    I am a musician also, thank gosh I'm right handed.

9. Paul53

Paul53 Scream catcher

Auto-immune disease, immune system eating my muscles. Was actually working 12 hour shifts as a ER/Trauma nurse till this started. Shooting is a recent hobby because it's easy on the walking. There's also the symbolism of a way to "survive." Works on multiple levels. Now I live to shoot.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  10. FM12

FM12 I need AMMO!

Eyesight, depression. just dont feel up to it anymore at least by myself.

11. guitarguy69

guitarguy69 Glock'N Roll

My father who taught me to shoot and hunt, thanks to his father before him, has diabetes also. He has regained some of his kidney function and has not had to take insulin lately also. For him his condition betters. He borrowed a shotgun from me to go hunt pheasant this last fall in Wisconsin, and let me tell ya, I wish I could have gone also.
    Secondly, for those of you with limitations, I hope you find a good range partner as I have. It made me want to go to the range because someone else cared about shooting and phoned me to ask if I could meet them at the range.
    Good to see people enjoying a hobby when adversity hits.

12. guitarguy69

guitarguy69 Glock'N Roll

By the way, my dad is also right handed, left eye dominant. I wondered why his head tilted to the right while shooting, and playing golf. A trip to the local hunters safety class when I was twelve taught me how to tell what eye dominant a person is and thought it was weird that dad had to deal with things this way.

13. ColdSteelNail

ColdSteelNail

I'm a lot more shaky than I used to be. Coupled with bifocals it's a wonder I can hit a bull in the ass. Which I can.

14. dad1

dad1

I am/was right eye dominant and right handed . After an injury to my right eye a couple of years back I had to learn to shoot my handguns with my left eye . Vision in the right eye is impaired slightly . I have some double vision when viewing things up close and it is difficult to see the sights. It was awkward learning to shoot with the opposite eye at first but after lots of practice it seems totally natural now and I can shoot just as well (or poorly) as I did before.
    I still shoot long guns right eyed . Scopes will correct a lot so my rifles are not a problem . Shotguns are still a challenge though . I can never figure out which bead to use when aiming

15. Taphius

Taphius

compartment syndrome in both lower legs, results of surgery to alleviate that left large swathes of my legs numb. Dorsiflexion and balance are an issue but nothing dramatic

16. ColdSteelNail

ColdSteelNail

You might ask your Dr. about low T.

17. Magnus2131

Magnus2131 Glock Gimp

I have RA but it's pretty much under control. Because of my back I'm unable to stand or sit for very long, so I have to pick a day when I'm feeling well and time it. I shoot my 100 to 200 rounds then head back home to bed. I use it as an incentive to get out and move around. The range is only about a mile from where I live.

18. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

The DTs make Sunday morning shoots rather interesting. HH

19. ken grant

ken grant

AGE----73
    EYES---same
    TREMORS
    BAD SHOULDER

DEPRESSION caused by the above

20. purrrfect 10

purrrfect 10

My right arm is longer then my left when I shoot and I got a bone in my knee :dunno:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012