Anything like Wrong Turn ever happen in real life?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by emt1581, Jan 6, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I'm watching Wrong Turn now. Just started on FX btw...

Are there any doccumented cases of such a thing happening? I mean obviously the inbred/immortal freaks of nature would be a bit of a stretch...but trapping, robbing/raping, and killing people who take the "wrong turn" wouldn't be that hard for someone who lives in the middle of nowhere to do.

Has anything like this ever happened?

I know every time I am driving through the middle of nowhere with nothing but woods or fields all around, I immediately think of this movie...and am glad I have enough fire-power to take on a small army on me and in the passenger's seat. ;)

Thanks!

-Emt1581

2. iiibdsiil

iiibdsiil

I would say I remember seeing something about someone that picked girls up off his road, but that was probably a movie. Damn movies getting mixed in with real life!

3. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

Not just in backwoods places.

I remember reading a warning about how gangs would steal road work detour signs and place them in areas to lead unfamiliar drivers into dead ends where they'd be robbed.
    Think it was LA, but might've been Detroit. This was several years ago

4. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

I could see something like wrong turn happening in real life but maybe not with raging inbred mutants.

5. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oh yeah? Never heard that one.

But even so, gangs would be a joke compared to thugs who were expert trackers, knew the terrain, and had prior experience hunting PEOPLE! I mean, unless you had a clear shot AND had enough time to draw/fire...how would you even defeat such an enemy?

Again, I can survive just fine in the woods and I'm armed to the teeth when I'm in unfirmiliar areas (at least a G19 on my hip AND G26 in my pocket with spare 17rd. mag., plus knives, and maybe another lasergripped S&W 638 on my ankle), but what good is a pistol when you can't see your enemy and they could be sneaking around the back of you or have set some sort of trap?!?

It just seems too easy for some psycho to do for it never to have happened before ya know?

-Emt1581

6. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Any other thoughts??

Thanks!

-Emt1581

7. Nessy

Nessy NRA Benefactor

It happens, and always on the day when you left your firearm at home.

8. deadcalm4u

deadcalm4u overkill

Movies like that scare the sh** out of me. I don't know about the mutants but the whole "deliverance" plot and the "realistic" element to it is, well...:wow:

A few realistic movies (like this could happen to me) that come to mind are:

Deliverance
    Vacancy
    Strangers
    etc....you get the idea.

Especially serial killer movies - Seven, Pigs, etc...

OTOH, unrealistic thrillers, I couldn't care less about.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  9. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I feel the same way. I mean when you take the sci-fi mutant cannibal freaks out of the equation, it's really not hard to do the exact same thing.

Stringing barbed/razor wire accross a road to trap a vehicle/family, sniping them from the trees/woods, and then robbing/raping them...any kid could do that! And given that there is no extent to how evil a person can be...I have a hard time believing it's never happened or isn't happening right now somewhere in the US. Just too many backroads/middle of nowhere places ya know?

Something interesting about Wrong Turn is that when the ranger comes along and gets killed, the doctor is hiding under the vehicle just starting at the guy's Glock on his hip. Now in a non-mutant/freak situation and being that close a Glock would make the difference between life and death. But as I said before, when up against someone who is an expert in the area...you're screwed unless you've had some serious wilderness combat/survival training.

As a scout I was taught to live off the land, so making shelter, building a fire, etc...no problem. But when someone is trying to kill me and maybe my wife at the same time...that's a s*** sammich any way you slice it!

-Emt1581

10. mixflip

mixflip

I know there was a real killer who preyed on tourist in the Australian out back. And there was a guy who killed 2 women camper/hikers near Yosemite National park.

Then there is the one that scares me the most...the 2 college aged kids that were found dead on a Northern California beach...shot to death in their sleeping bags. The killer didnt take their wallets, or rape them or torture them in any way..he or she just randomly found 2 kids on a beach and shot them dead for no reason. No witness's and the killer was never found and no other similar murders were ever reported. Thats scary....and all of it is reality which is stranger than fiction.

11. the_shadow_lord

the_shadow_lord

look up Shawney Bean ( i think thats how its spelled ) youll love that story

12. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

13. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I'm on duty tonight. I'll do it when I'm at the station. It'll give me something to read.

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

14. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

There are enough inbreed nut jobs and sociopaths in the world that yeah I could see it happening. Especially since so many Americans are unarmed when they travel as a rule.

15. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Good point about people traveling unarmed. I mean I don't and I know a lot of other GTers don't but it's a given that most do.

Again, easy targets, no way to get help or fightback...fish in a barrel really.

As far as the inbred part, I've worked with a few people who were inbred at a residential facility. The movie really blows their abilities out of proportion. Most had deformitites of some sort and were not just instantly nature-smart like the movie shows. This is why I would doubt that truely inbred mutants would be the biggest threat.

Sociopaths on the other hand are a MASSIVE threat to us. They can kill, torture, etc. complete strangers, animals, etc. and not lose a wink of sleep over it and will often find some enjoyment in it. I've worked with those to. Even as teens the only true cure is a hollow point. No known cure for them. Sad to say but it's the truth.

-Emt1581

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  16. UTKEngineer

UTKEngineer

I'm always surprised these movies are set in the country. I'm far more concerned about getting lost in an urban locale than a rural one.

17. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

But in the urban jungle you can duck in alley ways, hop on a bus, call a cab, go to a gas station/stop n' rob, etc...in the wilderness there's really nowhere to hide UNLESS you know the terrain. Otherwise it's really a losing battle because the enemy knows the terrain and you don't. No help to call for, no buildings to crawl into and no other people around (not that others make much difference in large numbers).

Take the "diffusion of responsibility" for example which says that the more people in an area and/or witnessing something bad taking place the more everyone thinks everyone else is going to help or call for help and the less everyone ACTUALLY helps/calls for help. That means that if I'm stranded and I come across other non-enemy humans who are also stranded, chances are pretty good they are going to work with me so we can both survive. Wouldn't matter if they didn't speak my language.

Even predator/prey will huddle together in the face of mother nature's wrath. Fox/bunnies, etc should do just fine together hiding out under a rock ledge...once the storm or whatever is over though...the bunny better look out. ;)

-Emt1581

18. KK40384

KK40384

Had to be L.A. because here in Detroit they don't go through that much trouble to rob or jack someone's car :rofl:

19. saddlebum

saddlebum

20. Milltown

Milltown

I have that problem with dreams sometimes...