Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering. With the shortage of ammo/firearms/parts and possibility of tighter gun control, have you had to adjust your philosophy on commonality for guns/mags/ammo and even the supplies you keep.

For me. I'm thinking of expanding to 7.62x39 to diversify.

For stockpiling, I'm thinking of having extra AK mags, AR mags & stripped AR lowers (even considering 80% lowers as a guy I know is a gunsmith....I need to check the gun laws out a little more and if he knows how to do the last 20%)

Part of the reason for the stockpiling is investment. I sold off a lot of my extra mags/rifles/ammo for a good profit and will re-invest it when (if) supply is available. Part of the re-investment will be to add to my personal supplies, the rest to sell in the future. (One friend thought it was dumb as he kept all of his stockpiles.....not one mag/gun/case of ammo was sold)

I think my next buy will be 7 AR stripped lowers or $700 worth of AR mags as they are now available. Ammo is next when it becomes available.

Tnx in advance!

·
Registered
31,978 Posts
Possibility of tighter gun control? If Sandy Hook didn't do it I don't know what will. Sure, maybe in some left states, but not anywhere else.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The ammo shortage following sandy hook got me further down the track that I was already on. I had multiple factors involved in my decision to get rid of my mini 14, only one of which was ammo cost. That, combined with my discovery of the JR carbine has lead me to sell off everything except 9mm and 12g. This way I can focus my efforts on one caliber, one mag type, etc. I dumped my mini 14 and even my 22 bolt action. Yeah, I know the flame war will follow but to me it made sense and still does

I was never 'hurting' for ammo during the sandy hook insanity so I was lucky that I didn't have to subcom to the price gouging but now that ammo is coming back into stock I don't want to let my stores get 'low' again. It's just a matter of time before there's another shooting and shortage.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I consolidated to several common calibers a few years ago. I maintain single copies and a few hundred rounds of a few different calibers JIC that's what is available.

·
Tackleberry
895 Posts
I have always been an AK47 and a 9mm guy, and so stocked those calibers. I also love the 12 gauge and 22s, so stock those. I also have Mosins and 308 bolt guns, so I stock those. But that is it. I have multiples of every weapon I own, including redundant holsters, slings, accessories, recoil guide springs and rods, pins, etc.

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,042 Posts
Possibility of tighter gun control? If Sandy Hook didn't do it I don't know what will. Sure, maybe in some left states, but not anywhere else.
I do not believe it is a matter of IF it will happen, I believe it is a matter of WHEN. With more and more people moving away from the country and not hunting and more people getting older and afraid of "what may happen", I see the political spectrum slowly changing against guns.

I do not believe that we will have significant change to a more pro-gun way until we have a serious issue where more people need guns.

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,042 Posts
I think a lot of us could be considered collectors/shooters/hunters.... Although I would like to say I purchased on clear grounds of wanting a minimalist collection, it just isn't the case. The odds on actually needing the guns and ammo I have are slim and I hope it never comes to it.

If you have limited yourself to only purchasing guns so you only have to support one rifle cartridge, one pistol cartridge and one shotgun cartridge, you need to spend money buying those cartridges cheap and stacking them deep. In the end, it may not be a bad idea, but most of us are not there.

If you are buying because you want the item, good for you. If you are buying hoping to resell for a profit, I urge you not to do it (unless you have all your other bases covered). Yes, you may be able to make a profit, but you may also have the laws changed so you can not sell the item or sell it for a profit because the state with the ban will not allow in state sales.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi All,
Cowboy - I'm on Oahu. I think they may ban some stuff... similar to Kalifornia.

Ric - I almost went all 9mm too. But just before I sold my Saiga, I saw a video of a presentation made by IIRC an ER doctor to IIRC an audience of EMT's. It was pretty interesting. There was a guy shot point blank and he was just walking around waiting for the ambulance. I'm sure you have valid reasons for staying only 9mm. Thumbs up!

Actionshooter - Thumbs up!

Wolf - I think like you! (Wish I could write as well as you).
I have a Saiga AK in 223 that is my go to carbine. I may eventually get one in 7.62x39 after I stack up sufficient 5.56.

I would have made an AK47 my go to gun but the whole "commonality" thing with the AR is what makes the Saiga 223 my go to carbine.

Weak point of the 223 AK is the lack of surplus/cheap mags. So I may shelve the commonality thing and just change to the AK47 and just keep a little 5.56 for training on the AR.

I have a shotgun and an AR but they are mainly used as "trainers" so I'm familiar with those systems when I assist/volunteer at events open to the general public.

Glock 20 is my go to pistol but I think it will move to range toy. (Training with 10mm is cost prohibitive since I still don't roll my own.....yet)

Mosins/308 - One day!

Multiples - One day.

RW - I think like you. On Oahu, I think it's when, not if.

Good point about laws changing so items cannot be sold. Would you know of any places/areas where this occurred? I'll google and learn more. I'm guessing Kali is one of the areas?

I'm thinking that I'll have enough forewarning to sell my surplus before any changes in the law restricts sales. (My friend is almost like an officer with the local NRA.....he gives me updates on all the firearm related stuff when the legislature is in session)

Tnx everyone for the feedback!!

·
C.D.B.
4,011 Posts
Commonality of ALL supplies seems to be an OCD with me. If I find the best sock then that's the only one that I want to wear or buy... so when it comes to guns and ammunition I completely agree.

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,042 Posts
RW - I think like you. On Oahu, I think it's when, not if.

Good point about laws changing so items cannot be sold. Would you know of any places/areas where this occurred? I'll google and learn more. I'm guessing Kali is one of the areas?
I know in England they changed the laws on semi-auto guns. You had the option of moving the gun out of country or making it a non-magazine fed semi-auto. It seems the gun grabbers use England as their perfect example.

I want to say in California they tried this same kind of law, but can't seem to find the reference. Maybe it was with NFA items.

There is another state where this is true of NFA items, but I can't remember which state it was. Because of the way the laws were changed, the item was legally registered with the Fed, but not legal to have in state. Someone sold an item without transferring it at the fed level because they couldn't. I don't know how this ended for everyone.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm doing just the opposite. What I've noticed in local stores is that I can almost always buy ammo, but I can't always get ammo for the calibers that I own. :(

I've been most surprised by the lack of rimfire ammo available. Most of my guns have been common caliber like the 9mm and .22 because I thought I'd always be able to find ammo for them. However, I've learned that those sell out first, so I've expanded my calibers to some of the less common in hopes that I can find something to shoot whenever I need it.

Ammo is easier to find now, but still rather expensive. I've been using this opportunity to purchase 12 gauge ammo which is still readily available at normal prices. When the prices go back down, I'll stock up my ammo shelves a little fuller than they were before.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I'm trying to get all the "needs" covered before any "wants". Doing so is in effect leaving me with relatively few, but common calibers.

The shortage has not really changed my view, other than deciding I need more ammo on hand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts