Anyones LGS raised transfer price only on guns from Buds?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tnedator, Feb 9, 2013.

1. tnedator

tnedator Lifetime Member

The LGS I usually do transfers from just had a surprise for a buddy that ordered a gun from Buds. They charge $25 for transfers, but when he got there, he was told they were now charging $40 for guns from Buds.

No warning and they are listed as a preferred Bud's FFL so in the past we have never bothered calling them first.

Anyway, they said there are a bunch of stores that are banding together and agreeing to raise transfer prices from Buds. He said that they want all shops to charge $100 transfers, but since he knew that would never fly here, he just went up to $40.

The claim is that Buds is selling, and advertising, at prices that are below what other shops can even buy guns, and that they are advertising low prices in direct violation of some of the advertising rules for some of the gun companies.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else ran into this.

2. vettely

vettely

Just had a LCP transferred from them without any problems.

3. Ruggles

Ruggles

Not sure about LGS, I use a local pawn shop for my FFL that charges $30. I can see why LGS would though, Buds is tough to beat on price and selection.

4. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

I don't know why, but local shop will no longer accept transfers from buds

5. Kloogee

Kloogee

My FFL charges $25 and as of 2 weeks ago didn't charge extra for Bud's transfers. They are happy to get the extra revenue for the 3 mins work they do for it and usually on an item they aren't able to get their hands on anyways.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

This is your best option if your LGS is doing this buffoonery. Pawn shops, or gunsmiths that do not sell firearms... are a great place to transfer firearms.

7. deadmanglocking

deadmanglocking

Mine wants $75 per gun. A-holes....

8. moreammoplz

moreammoplz

Buds prices are getting crazy just like everyone else.

9. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

Frankly I don't see why any brink and mortar gun store should be thrilled with doing internet retailer transfers. Just another way for people to complain about not getting top notch product/service for sweatshop prices. If I want a gun "now" or make an impulse buy I go to the LGS. Win/win.

If I buy a gun on line I have the sense to go through my local FFL who does transfers as a side business and ONLY makes money when someone buys at Bud's (or anywhere). Win/win.

See how that works?

-Stooxie

10. PSUEng

PSUEng

I bought on line from Bud's a little over a year ago--had a local FFL do the $15 transfer but I asked him if he could match Bud's price and he just laughed and said Bud's is selling guns for less than what he can get them for.

Now--having been to Bud's retail store, I can say their in-store prices seem to have gone up as their online sales have grown. They are no longer the deal they used to be, especially in Lexington where there are quite a few other shops that you get better customer service in.

11. railfancwb

railfancwb

My LGS said I could buy from Buds for less than he paid his distributor so go ahead. So far at least he has been happy to do transfers in and transfers out with shipping for reasonable amounts. He even advertises transfers on his sign.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. Gixxerjoe04

Gixxerjoe04

I just go to Buds and pick it up:tongueout: didn't know Buds was that well known.

13. Z71bill

Z71bill

If you can buy guns at Bud's for less than the LGS can buy them from their normal supplier --

Then the LGS should buy its guns from Bud's.

I have only purchased a few guns online than needed a FFL transfer.

I always called the FFL before I ordered to clear up the details.

The first place I called from Bud's list - I had bought stuff from them before - I recognized the name - did $15 transfers - but insisted he had to charge sales tax on the purchase price.

$800 gun = $ 65 tax so I found another FFL to do the transfer.

I had been buying a lot of stuff from them - but have not been back since.

14. sappy13

sappy13

Mine charges 25 for all transfers. Everyone else in the area charges like 40-50.

15. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

I have a local shop that charges one amount for all other transfers and then $65 or something for Bud's. He said it was because Bud's doesn't actually have anything in stock, they just pull from the same distributors he uses so it's directly lost business for him, as opposed to Gunbroker or something. It didn't bother me, I see his point.

16. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I may have to drive down there some day, it is only a couple hours south of here. Not much incentive since I have an excellent LGS.

17. spork

spork Caffeinator

Funny that you mention that. I remember back when they were a dimly lit hole-in-the-wall at a strip mall in Paris, Ky. It sure is something to see how much they have grown!

18. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I found a local guy that runs an FFL/NFA shop in his free time that charges $10/transfer. He doesn't stock much and has no problem doing transfers. I was in there last week doing a lower transfer and almost bought a consignment gun from him, but someone else got to it first. While I was waiting, he just received a delivery from Bud's. Whenever I decide to get my suppressor collection going, he will be the guy I go through.

19. Rancher

Rancher

My LGS is a pawn shop. He knows he can't beat their prices. Charged me $20 for my transfer last week, got another gen 3 G17. He said he had been trying to find one for a customer but could not. Got mine when it was only for Buds VIP customers and took over a week to get in.

I also notice my transfer fee always goes right in his wallet.

Rancher

20. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

I would support this guy myself if I could.

Always good to see someone charging a reasonable rate. Always like to support them.