Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Glock has been in this country for around a dozen years now. I'm not sure if Glock offered night sights right off the bat...but night sites last, what...like ten years?

Has anyone's burned out yet?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

·
mmm bop
823 Posts
Glock has been around since the 80's...

·
20,407 Posts
The half-life of tritium is 12 years, so night sights might last as long as 24 years. The first Glocks were imported into the USA in 1986.

·
Florist
19,992 Posts
I'm not 100 percent certain my 1999 G19 night signts are completely dead but they no longer provide effective service in the dark. This became clearly apparent after I bought my G26 in 2007 and compared the two.

·
Protective G'pa
949 Posts
I have replaced the NS on my G23. It is a PXxxx SN which is from 1990. When real dark I could see them pretty well, In the semi dark where you could kind of see the sights as an outline the dots were just a faint glow. My third gen G22 was very visible under the same conditions so I figured it was time for new sights.

·
FF/Paramedic
1,093 Posts
The half-life of tritium is 12 years, so night sights might last as long as 24 years. The first Glocks were imported into the USA in 1986.
Actually, they could last as long as 60 years plus If the 'half life rule" is applied. They would definatly not be as bright, but would still have some sort of radiation to them. After 12 years, the sights would have lost half of their radiation, then after another 12 years, they would have lost half of that. Leaving 25% of what was originally there. And so on...
Sorry, Im a science major...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Actually, they could last as long as 60 years plus If the 'half life rule" is applied. They would definatly not be as bright, but would still have some sort of radiation to them. After 12 years, the sights would have lost half of their radiation, then after another 12 years, they would have lost half of that. Leaving 25% of what was originally there. And so on...
Sorry, Im a science major...

Give that man a cigar. At least other one person paid attention in science class

I dont think tritium sights have even been around as long a Glock has. At least not in popular comerical production. I dont remeber seeing them until the early 90's but i was just barely a teenager in 90' though I was into guns even then.

·
GUNS UP
5,961 Posts
I've got a police trade in G22 I bought in 1994 the nite sights still glow bright

·
Banned
2,733 Posts
I guess the question is what's the largest percentage that can be lost where they are still effective.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I, too, have an early G23 (ser.# PW---/ 1990?) recently purchased. The night sights still have some glow remaining (enough to see in near dark conditions). Can the "glow" contents of the sight cavities be upgraded, or do the sights themselves have to be replaced?

·
Protective G'pa
949 Posts
I, too, have an early G23 (ser.# PW---/ 1990?) recently purchased. The night sights still have some glow remaining (enough to see in near dark conditions). Can the "glow" contents of the sight cavities be upgraded, or do the sights themselves have to be replaced?
Need to be replaced. The capsules are sealed in during the manufacturing process. New sights are relatively cheap, and can be installed yourself if you have the ability or for just a few bucks if you do not.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had some Trijicons that were from 1992 that I just included on a sale for an OD 19 that I sold to a member here. I pulled them off because I had an opportunity to get new ones, but they still worked fine. I think if you ask a lot of people involved in low light shootings, they will agree that new night sights are actually a little too bright to be effective and almost "bright out" (for lack of any other phrase) the target in low light. The 1992 sights were used in a class just 3 weeks prior to the sale of that NIB Glock and worked great when on my old 92 vintage 19 during the night fire course. BTW, I was the only one with tritium sights and the only one able to qualify on the night fire stage. The target was visible with ambient light on the target, but no light on the shooter left everybodies sights invisible except mine. This is where the tritiums really "shine" and earn the money they cost.

But, in answer to your question, even well after the warranty runs out, they are useful. The most detrimental thing would be having a capsule burst from being hit on too hard with a punch or hammer. It can be done, I did it before I bought a sight tool. That will render a night sight useless as anything but a day sight.

I also have a set of 1995 Trijicons on a Glock 19 that I may change out in a few more years but they seem fine for now.

·
Private side
11,504 Posts
Burned out? No. Dimmed beyond use? Yes. My 1997 issued G22 had 1995 sights on it.

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
I have a very early G17 and the sights are getting dim but still useable. My son's new G17 is noticably brighter.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
You really cannot see them anyway UNLESS your eyes have "dark adapted".

Once your eyes ARE dark adapted, they cannot tell much difference between 100% brightness vs. 50% brightness vs. 25% brightness.

When all you have is a bucket to fill with water, it does not matter much whether the water comes from a pond, the Mississippi, or the Pacific Ocean.

The effective limit is how many photons your eyes need to function. Above a lower limit more photons don't do you much more good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts