Anyones child go to a magnet school? Any good out of it?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ggarciatx, Apr 14, 2012.

1. ggarciatx

ggarciatx Cold War Sailor

Found out on Thursday that one of my daughters got accepted to a Magnet school. Her and her step-sister took the test back in February. She wants to be a Veterinarian, but she didn't make it for the Medical Magnet school which is about a mile from her house. Talked to the ex and went nowhere. The Magnet school she got accepted into is a Academy of Global Business and Advanced Technology. The thing is it is located all the way across town and would require her being on a bus in the morning and after school. The school is not known for being one of the better schools like the one she is supposed to go to. One of her classmates wants to go to the Business school cause she wants to be a lawyer and my daughter wants the medical. Her classmate got into the medical school. They cannot swap. :steamed:. Now she will possibly be away from her two step sisters who will both be at High school close to area where my ex and I live.
    Anyway, any good things about a Magnet School?
    Thanks.
    GG

2. happy seal

happy seal

You'll never loose your paperclips! :whistling: :rofl:

3. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Find out if the curriculum is called IB (International Baccalaureate) - if so I'd investigate hard before sending my spawn. IB is more or less the rage among many schools - it's more or less a UN inspired worldview type thing.

4. spork

spork Caffeinator

What is going to be the most important fact to consider is what type of kids is your kid going to be around everyday?

In other words, is this magnet program drawing most of its kids from neighborhoods you would never be willing to live in or near?

The reason I ask is simple; a public school system I know of has a medical magnet located in a seedy part of town. The school draws the bulk of its population from that area, as well as an adjoining area that is the worst part of town. This school has serious gang issues, violence on daily basis, and generally reeks of generational poverty-by-choice syndrome.

On the other hand, the way magnets are set up near you may be radically different; however, I would check into that first.

5. spork

spork Caffeinator

As an extra thought, my strongest recommendation is to get your child in a school that 1) has a good environment 2) offers Advanced Placement level coursework. Afterwards, demand that she get into an all AP courseload, and at the very least get AP courses in science (keep in mind that AP courses may cost extra money).

The reasons I say this are simple: your child will benefit the most in her future plans by being college ready and being in a school where there is as little riff-raff as possible in the classrooms disturbing the educational process. At the end of the day, success in college is what will deternmine whether she gets in a vet school or not.