Anyone work on their own vehicles?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Doc Holliday, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Picked up a Grand Caravan for $1500 last week and in the process of putting in some new parts...needed a radiator, waiting on that and a water pump, already did the thermostat and outlet, will change the belt and alternator, too...replaced the rear hatch lift motor with a scrapyard one ($16 vs $800 from the dealer) I like to put in some new parts for peace of mind, that way I know it was done RIGHT and I'll get more mileage from it, less chance of breaking down somewhere. Don't know how many miles were on the old ones. I can't do the major stuff like pull the engine or transmission, but I've found that I really look forward to working on it a little every day, after I get home. Good to have something to work on, a goal, a project to finish...

P1090214.JPG

P1090215.JPG

P1090222.JPG

P1090216.JPG

P1090219.JPG

P1090220.JPG

2. 835mag

835mag

Looks pretty clean. I too enjoy some diy car/truck projects.

DocPoison, catman71 and Doc Holliday like this.

3. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

pgg00, rfd339, arkdweller22 and 6 others like this.
  4. The Father

The Father

Wouldn’t be caught dead driving a van, unless of course I was dead

5. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

Yes.
    Not me, per se, but my buddies,

I got drunk and backed into a tree while hunting with my tailgate down. My buddy pounded it out and it didn’t even need paint

I hit a deer and messed up my bumper, same guy bent the brackets Back to normal and pounded out the dent

same guy lifted my engine up, put in new rod bearings and I drove home after 3 beers

we just did my wife’s brakes

some things we (he) can’t do but I tell you, you can save a ton of cash if you are handy and it’s fun in his heated garage with a huge TV and beer fridge!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  6. Ross-in-Pa

Ross-in-Pa Western Pa

I do minor stuff to our vehicles. Oil and filter changes, brakes, shocks and struts, etc.

I have a really short attention span, so repairs can't take more than an hour and a half......:cheers:

brtarr, ReaPer105, inthefrey and 5 others like this.
  7. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

I've learned to say I don't know how. If you let people know you can work on cars, they think you will fix their cars also.

8. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I've curtailed it a bit after doing the timing belt / tensioner / water pump on my wife's Hyundai V6 Tucson years ago. Three days later, I said "never again" and now stick to fluids and brakes. HH

lazarus66, 72Cheyenne, treg and 3 others like this.
  9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

I hope you won't be driving while dead, then...although a lot of people are already doing it... ;)

I used to swear off minivans, but I couldn't haul plywood, or anything else, in either of my Vettes. I actually like the Grand Caravan, especially this boring color, it blends in, cops don't look twice, everyone thinks it's some Soccer Mom Family, nobody is gonna break in, thinking they'll just get a diaper bag. It's great urban camo...can road trip and when I get tired, roll out the sleeping bag in the back, save $100 on a hotel...camp out, right on the edge of the Grand Canyon for sunset and sunrise...

10. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

I hand wax my cars.
    Other than that, the dealer does the maintenance (they're fairly new).

PatinAz and Doc Holliday like this.
  11. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

As much as I can reasonably do. I don’t have the computers to diagnose some things and I have no desire to ever do major engine or transmission work again. But minor issues are a lot less money to do myself.

But I admit temperatures make a big difference now. My wife needs a new serpentine belt. Easy job but it is 28 degrees out. I’m just going to drop it at the shop.

12. Berto

Berto woo woo

I do some stuff, but haven't torn down an engine or transmission since having a 60s car. Did patch a hole in foorboard recently and the requisite interior work, replaced a starter, etc.

pgg00, 10or45 and Doc Holliday like this.
  13. Cubdriver

Cubdriver

I do pretty much everything but alignments. Cheaper, and I trust me.

-Pat

treg, Caver 60, Doc Holliday and 4 others like this.
  14. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

They've got to smart for me. Air filters, battery, and tighten a loose bolt about it.

15. RenoF250

RenoF250

Same here. I don't do tires either. I would get a tire machine, they are not very expensive, just don't want to waste the room.

Just replaced the trans in sons car with one from a junkyard. It was the most miserable job I have done, took over a month. Before that, clutch and rear main seal in wife's. All general maintenance.

I like to keep my cars so that I would be comfortable driving across country at any time. I also, keep everything working to factory specs. No letting a windows not open or a auto door lock not work. That breeds contempt for the vehicle which results in improper maintenance which results in a POS.

16. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

The "broken window theory" is alive and well with vehicles. I've seen many go to hell from just a burned out bulb. HH

Doc Holliday and railfancwb like this.
  17. TiminOhio

TiminOhio

Tried a 2015 trail Blazer power steering line. Pre-bent three foot tube that I spent three days trying to fish it through the engine compartment. Should of paid someone to do it...

Doc Holliday likes this.
  18. Cubdriver

Cubdriver

I should have added mounting and balancing tires as well - don't have the equipment for it. My grandfather had a pneumatic tire changer, but it was sold when they moved to Florida when I was about ten. Beyond that, I'm stupid enough to attempt most anything. Rebuilt the TH-400 in my '69 Catalina in HS, and have since done several clutches, timing chains and belts, rebuilt carbs, fixed alternators and starters, done brakes, wheel bearings and suspension repairs, convertible tops... Bought lots of tools over the years, but at worst it's a wash $$-wise, and if nothing else I have lots of useful toys.

-Pat

Doc Holliday and mj9mm like this.
  19. Jonesee

Jonesee

Wow, a lot of dreams for a car that isn't even running yet.

20. mj9mm

mj9mm

i've done pretty much everything but alignments, even that i've done roughly to get to the shop after total front suspension work. what i can't figure out, my youngest brother or brother in law help out. my brother was a journeyman dealer mechanic until he couldn't deal with winter work, now he's a parts manager, and he has all kinds of computer equipment. any parts are fair game.
    i had a 2005 dodge grancaravan, great vehicle, but all the aluminum engine parts were corroding terribly. i actually bruised my heart area trying to pull out a corroded water pump, what a beast. i haven't done many big projects since then. but i still help out the kids when they have work they can't afford to have done in the shop.
    it feels good to beat a car problem...

Intolerant and Doc Holliday like this.