close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone with Unresolved 9mm Gen4/Gen3 Malfunctions?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JBarbaresi, Jun 28, 2011.

1. FyreCalG17

FyreCalG17 Gen4 Fondler

Can't they even provide a toll free number? That sucks!

2. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

i've got their number saved in my cell phone contacts after this whole ordeal of trying to get a replacement recoil spring from them. almost 8 weeks later and still nothing. i've been told on 5 occasions that it would be "going out today" and i should have it within a week.

3. TattooAl

TattooAl

Well heres a strange report..... I went to the range yesterday....shot about 150-200 rounds with my LWD extractor and got some erractic extractions and a couple shells to the face.

Took it home that night, cleaned it, and threw the OEM extractor back on.

Went to the range today, another 150-200 rounds and everything went perfect, not a single problem.

Maybe our guns just need to go through the "breaking in" period like my armorer suggested ???

4. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

i shot a little over 300 rounds today with the new 0-4-2 spring that glock sent me. i was hoping the softer spring would solve the erratic ejections. i switched between the stock and LWD extractors and still had brass hit me in the head and eject left with both. i also tested out the white sound defense HRED with both extractors, same result only they ejected with more force. i filed down the ejector and changed the angle of the tip like i read about in other forums as being a solution. i will try that out when i get a chance.

5. TattooAl

TattooAl

But you are Gen 4 correct?

6. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

yes the gen4 compact models originally came with 0-3 springs when they were released last year, which was a stronger spring than is on the gen3 compact guns. it was designed to be more accomodating to the .40 and .357 models. when issues started popping up they release the 0-4 spring for the g19 which is a similar weight spring to the gen3.

7. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

So at this point in time what is your assessment of the issues, what conclusions have you made, and what are your recommended solutions?

8. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

so far my conclusions are inconclusive, lol. i don't know because most people claim the LWD extractor alone fixed their erratic ejections. i tried the LWD, i've tried the lighter recoil spring, and i've switched out the extractor assembly. at least with my gun i don't think its an extractor issue. then again, most of the people who saw improvements with just a new extractor were also having stoppages and malfunctions, i never have.

the next rational step is to play around with the ejector, i need to shoot it again now that i've filed a little bit off and changed the tip of the angle.

9. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

Basic Pareto principle is that 20% of defects cause 80% of problems.

1. For alot of folks the new spring did the trick in the beginning (a year ago).
    2. For others a new LWD extractor does the trick, after the spring replacement didn't work.
    3. Then there is the need of a spring replacement plus a new extractor.

It is hard to tell without a larger sample population, but I am guessing spring + extractor replacement will solve most problems.

Lets say 1/10K Gen4 9mm have problems (just picking a number out of my butt). This is still too high if Glock uses follows a basic Six Sigma program.

Spring replacement improves the defect rate by 1 log.

Replacing extractor improves the defect rate by 1 log.

Replacing both if the single fix does not works improves the defect rate by 2 log?

I hope Glock is reading these threads because it could get them back to a 1 per 6 log defect rate.

10. RobG

RobG

Just another follow up...last week the pistol functioned ok w/ the LWD extractor. I went back to the range a few days ago and the casings were hitting me in the face, forehead and one went down my shirt.

I ordered from GM their single 15lb. recoil ss spring to see if it helps...

11. ArizonaPhil

ArizonaPhil

For you guys with spent brass hitting you in the face, what ammo are you shooting?

I've got a Gen4 G19 with the 0 4 2 recoil spring. I shoot 124 grain blazer and speer law man. No issues thus far (but I've only shot 250 rounds through it also). All brass is tossed to the right.

I'm just wondering if ammo is playing a part in this.

12. RobG

RobG

I'm using 115gr target ammo, but I also used Win 124gr NATO and still had casings to the face with the 0-4-1 recoil spring and the LWD extractor.

Per my previous post, I ordered the GM single ss spring 15lb. to see if it improves the function.

13. FyreCalG17

FyreCalG17 Gen4 Fondler

Yep, kind of like Joe's Crab Shack's slogan "Food Free Tomorrow" except tomorrow never comes.
    Every time you call, it will be "its going out today".

14. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

147gr Federal HST, 124gr Federal HST, 147gr Winchester super X, 115gr WWB, 115gr Federal Champion. the only one i haven't experienced brass to the face was the 147gr HST, but i've only shot about 200 rounds of that particular load.

i went back out today and shot another 225 rounds of 147gr winchester super x after filing my ejector tip, i think i only had 2 casings eject erratically, both just kind of ejected straight up and fell barely to the right of the gun, but not back towards me. i'd say noticeable improvement, i may need to tweak the angle of the ejector tip just barely to get it 100%.

15. Rottguinness

Rottguinness

I just bought a slightly used Gen 3 19. I shot it yesterday for the first time and had brass in the face. I called Glock this morning and they stated that it is a common problem. They are sending me a recoil spring. I also pulled the extractor out and noticed a thick finish on its contact points. I think Ill replace it if spring doesnt fix it. I was very happy with the customer service. They sent me parts no questions asked on a gun that I bought used. Thats pretty amazing.

16. 09crue

09crue

any idea when your gen3 was made? i'm guessing its probably a newer one.

17. deadlyfoo001

deadlyfoo001

so there is a new gen3 recoil spring??

18. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

no, gen3 designs have been relatively unchanged for years.

19. Aquagear

Aquagear

I have a Gen3 17 test fire date 6-10-11 It functioned fine out of the box, no failures to feed fire or eject. The ejection was a little erratic at least 4 cases in a full magazine would go over my head or left. I striped and cleaned it after my range session and found the extractor did not move freely in the slide cutout, I carefully polished the rough areas on the top and bottom with just one or two swipes on a very fine stone until it would move freely in the slide. I took it out and shot an IDPA match and it ejected fine. I understand some Gen4 owners have solved their problem with a new RSA, or extractor but some have replaced both with no results. Is this the result of quality control suffering because Glock is just trying to satisfy a high demand. I picked up my 17 on 6-13-11 the test fire date was 6-10-11. It did not see any time on the shelf just test and ship they have to be turning them out to fast.

20. 1 old 0311

1 old 0311

GLOCK..........MALFUNCTION??????????? Never seen those words together.:rofl: