Anyone with Full Time and 2nd job too?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jdavionic, Feb 20, 2010.

1. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Anyone have a full time career job, plus a second job? If so, what are your jobs?

Just thinking the family could use a temporary surge in income and wondered whether it would be better to just be patient and save, or get a second job temporarily.

2. rjgraves

rjgraves

I am in the Engineering field and work 40 hours a week. My second job is a Janitor, working 20-30 hours a week. It's not the best situation, but I am able to make my own hours at the janitorial job so I still have time with the wife and kids between jobs.

3. hardlined

hardlined 10mm Addict

I've been considering this for a while. I work IT during the day but with the economy and such we got a large paycut almost a year ago. I've been cutting back on expenses but my bank account still isn't moving in either direction (thankfully not down).

It's either find a new job (I wish), move to a cheaper place or get a second job.

4. fusegsp

fusegsp

One is enough for me. I can get OT if I need it. My dad on the other hand is recently retired and is down to "just" two jobs. He's always juggled at least three jobs. He was a police officer and most of his extra jobs were security related. One of his retirement jobs is working at the new county jail. You'd think after 33 years you'd be sick of dealing with dirtbags. I guess he figures it's better than my moms honey-do list.

5. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I incurred something similar. We got nailed with a pay cut. And like you, we cut back on expenses and we're treading water fine. But I sure miss the money that was "temporarily" cut.

6. nsb22

nsb22 TEAM OAF

At one time, I had 3 jobs. One FT and 2 PT. With the schedule we work at the FT job, I only worked half the month, so i had plenty of time to work side jobs.

7. MedicOni

MedicOni

I work full time at a hospital as a Tech and part time with an ambulance company as an EMT. Probably going to be full time as an EMT in CO when I move next month along with PT at another company as an EMT

8. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I do, but it's the same work. I do graphic design as part of a corporate art department as my day job. On the side I pick up freelance work that amounts to an extra 20 hours a month, maybe…though I get paid more per hour for the side work than I do for my real job.

9. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Had three.
    Down to 1.5?
    University and medical.
    :whistling:

10. GeorgeM223

GeorgeM223

I've done that before. I'm in IT as well and hav held contract development/programming jobs while being fulltime. After awhile it can wear you down.

If you're doing this for more money....then you'd be trading off your personal/family time for $$'s. Maybe taking alook at how to cut expenses would be a better start?

Just a couple cents.... :)

11. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I tried UPS thinking that would be ideal - engineering management job in the day, and part-time package movement at night. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that there are any openings within 50 miles.

12. rjgraves

rjgraves

+1 on cutting expenses, but you can only cut so much. When there's just not enough money coming in, you gotta do what you gotta do. It's not ideal that for sure, but it beats the alternative.

13. silentpoet

silentpoet

I once worked two full time jobs for a couple of months. It wore me out. I averaged about 75 hours a week, but the way they scheduled me I had trouble getting any sleep. There were times I would end up working about 24 out of 27 hours. It was rough, but I did get caught up on some bills.
    Right now I am looking for a better paying main job. If I don't get one, I am going to pick up a second job in a week or two.

14. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Never held more than one job at a time, but have been self employed most of my life, even during the rare periods when I held regular jobs as well. When I've been exclusively self employed, it's been extremely common to spend 16 hours a day turning wrenches or installing car stereos. When I was flipping houses I'd often spend 18 hours working, sack out in a sleeping bag in whatever room was most comfortable when I stopped, then get up and do it all over again.

The saying "the more you earn, the more you burn" rings true. But it was worth it, I'd do it all over again. Was young, could handle the grind, and didn't have a family to worry about. Don't have to worry about money now, and that would not be the case without all that hard work done earlier.

15. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

Does grad school count because that is worse than a second job!

16. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Trust me, don't do it. You will just burn yourself out. I know all to well. Learn to live with in your means and save for what you need/want. Maybe cut a few thing that you don't absolutely need to make more disposable income.

17. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

I've frequently worked upwards of 80 and occasionally 100 hours in a week between two jobs, but one of those was unpaid. If I could have done it while also eating properly and getting full nights of rest, I could have done it for a long, long time instead of burning out after a couple of years.

If you don't have anything you're worried about giving up due to the time and you have the energy, do it. You can't put your money to work for you until you have it, and you can always cut back if you change your mind.

I was focusing on building my own business (I switched from being an IT consultant to building a design company, focusing on web design but doing audio, video, and print) when I suddenly had a crisis of "waiting on checks and being stuck with large bills", so I went and got myself a full-time job, and my business is on hold. I'm tying up some loose ends and adjusting to the sleep schedule, and then I'll be back to working a 40+ hour a week job and then doing my business on the side. The difference here is that I want my own business to expand and replace the job.

18. security79

security79 Gene Frenkle

My department won't let us take any side jobs for "insurance reasons" which is total BS. Although when I was doing security I worked 2 jobs. I worked 1p-9p and then 12a-8a. I was pretty tired alot of the time but the extra paycheck was nice.

19. jp3975

jp3975

You might consider calling ADT and asking about a sales job. Its commission only but you can do it on your schedule.

Also I hear the census pays over $14 per hour and it's also something you do on your time.

20. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Does being a father of a 7 and 3yo girl + 11 month old boy count? Gotta work (construction) and hustle (imaging, floorplans) count? 168 hours in a week, requiring 300 hours...dammitman...