close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone who is versed in KAHR pistols?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by albinlee, Jun 1, 2010.

1. albinlee

albinlee

Okay, so I am considering the Kahr series pistol as a new accommodation to carry concealed during the summer. My first pistol was a Glock 19, and I have loved it so far, but the thickness is becoming difficult not to print in light clothing. So I want to know from any Kahr owners out there: Which way should I go... Kahr CW9 or Kahr P9? I have already decided that these two pistols represent the exact size i am looking for, but I need to know about value. I am a broke college student and if I was going to pay 700+ for a new gun, I would probably get a Sig P228 or such.. This is why the P9 seems a little far out for my price range.
    The CW9 is more what I am leaning toward, because I could get one brand new, whereas I could barely afford a P9 used!
    I would love to know if any Kahr lovers out there have owned both the CW and P9 series, to compare the function and value of the two.
    I know the CW has less milling (don't mind), comes with only one magazine (now that sucks:faint:), and has a standard rifling (not sure if this is a disadvantage or not?)
    Any insight would be fantastic! thanks

2. Chonny

Chonny

I had a K9 and it was superb. Really wish I had not sold it. Best single stack 9mm Ive owned.

3. Sandiesman007

Sandiesman007

CW9 is a fine weapon. Read up on it. Try it out if you can. So far no issues during my break in period. I'd save the money and go with the CW.

4. NoComp

NoComp The Shootist

Cw9 is perfect for your needs. It will perform and function as well as the P9 without the bells and whistles (polygonal bore, machined slide stop, rounded slide contours etc).
    I have both and the PM9, all excellent pistols.

5. TonyT

TonyT

Personally I carry a Kahr PM-9 but I do know people who use the P9 and CW9. It's a bit of dealers choice. I chose the PM-9 because it was the smallest and lightest of the Kahr 9mm line.

6. ronin.45

ronin.45

Ditto.

I like my PM9 but would not hesitate to get a CW9.

7. Historian

Historian NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

I have an E9 series and it has never failed me.

8. Littlescroll

Littlescroll NRA Member

I've heard nothing but good about the CW9. My PM9 has been superb, and I will look at a CW9 in the future.

9. John Watson

John Watson

I purchased a CW9 due to the costs of the other models and have to say I am really impressed with this little pistol. It is accurate, easy to shoot, good trigger pull, thin and easily concealed and reliable. I like Kahr products although I find some of their line too pricy.

John

10. John Watson

John Watson

I purchased a CW9 due to the costs of the other models and have to say I am really impressed with this little pistol. It is accurate, easy to shoot, good trigger pull, thin and easily concealed and reliable. I like Kahr products although I find some of their line too pricy.

John

11. toddmog

toddmog

I've been carrying a CW9 in a CBST for almost two years now. You can always pick up an extra mag for ~$30. You still come out considerably less than the P9. I do see a PM9 in my future though.

12. skud_dusty

skud_dusty

Now that you can purchase night sights for the CW series there really is no reason in my mind to go with the more costly P9. I'm sure it's a fine pistol, but the CW series is a better value.

13. gunsnhoses

gunsnhoses

Bought a CW9 a couple weeks ago and I LOVE it. It is as easy to carry as my Kel-tec PF9 and is WAY easier to shoot. I carry IWB in a High Noon holster, but have an OWB Don Hume 721 OT on order and am looking forward to trying that. So far I have about 125 rounds through it without any issues. Great gun for the money.
    [​IMG]

14. cyberiad

cyberiad

Though I don't have one, a CW9 should be fine for your needs. I do have both the PM9 and P9 and of the two I prefer the P9. I don't pocket carry (except for a J-Frame occasionally) and decided after carrying the PM9 that I preferred a thin, single stack with a grip long enough to get my whole hand on and the P9 fits the bill.

15. rem2429

rem2429

I've been eyeing these and the walther pps myself. Thanks for the thread.

16. grecco

grecco

I own sveral HK's,Glocls,1911's,browning,beretta's...etc
    I carry a KAHR P9.

17. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

I own a PM9 and a TP9. I currently carry the TP9, but when I put enough rounds through the PM9 to trust it, it will become my regular carry piece.
    A friend of mine has the CW9, its a good shooting pistol. The cost saving items dont seem to affect accuracy with his gun. I dont think the MIM parts, and the conventional rifling are big issues on the CW9, considering the price difference. I'm seeing used CW9s around $350 lately.

18. ipscshooter

ipscshooter Mostly IDPA now

I have a P9 Covert (short grip, not made anymore) and a TP45. I seem to be carrying the P9 Covert a lot lately.

They are well made guns. Two things to consider. The trigger reset is significanlty longer than a Glock, and the trigger reach is shorter. At the very least dry fire one before buying.

Either the P9 or CW9 will serve you well. I think if you shop around you may find a deal on a P9. If you can't swing it, and you are happy with the sights on the CW9 go for it. The other differences between the two are minor.

Wave this under your dealers nose.

http://www.snipercountrypx.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=2383

19. ipscshooter

ipscshooter Mostly IDPA now

I had an additional thought that might help.

As a less expensive alternative for a broke college student, how about a new holster?

I sometimes use a Glaco USA IWB holster for my G36. It rides very low and conceals the pistol extremely well. Not as easy to get a full grip on the gun, no slide guard, and it rides on your pants behind the belt. If the loop spacing on your pants is far apart or in the wrong place it may not ride right, but for the money it's one heck of a lot less expensive than a new gun.

Check it out. They are available all over. Botach, Optics Planet, etc.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=2101&GunID=47

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  20. chris in va

chris in va

Can't vouch for the CW9, but I've had my K9 for a year and the gun continues to impress. Low bore axis makes a huge difference when getting back on target as the recoil is more straight back than a flip. Trigger is great.

The CW series isn't finished as much as the P9. IIRC the feed ramp isn't polished, but that may not affect feeding.